Cox Communications is one of the best private broadband service providers in the US that is known to have served more than 6 million consumers across 18 states. Although a private company, Cox believes that anyone is entitled to reliable internet regardless of their social status. Therefore, Cox offers free and low-cost internet plans to poor and less fortunate families in the US. Through Affordable Connectivity Program offers up to $30 monthly discount on internet services to eligible Cox customers.
Are you wondering what ACP is? This government assistance program offers monthly discounts on broadband service and connectivity devices to low-income families. This ensures everyone is able to keep up with friends, families, health care, school, and work. However, you must meet ACP eligibility requirements to enjoy these benefits. To be precise, you must have an income below 200% of the federal poverty guideline or be a member of any government assistance program. Once you meet these requirements, you will be able to get Cox free internet with no problems. Do you qualify for ACP but wondering how to get Cox free internet? Here is a detailed guide.
Does Cox Offer Free Internet For College Students?
Yes. Home internet is an important tool in the current world’s education system. Unfortunately, some families strain on offering home internet for convenient studies for their children. Luckily, Cox, through Connect2Compete offers internet opportunities for families with college students. Besides low-income families, Cox also provides free or low-cost internet for college students. This offer only costs $9.95 per month but once covered by ACP discounts, it will charge you zero cost. However, you must have at least one K-12 student in your household to get free internet for college students. Also, at least one member of your household must participate in any government assistance program.
Once you qualify for free cox internet for college students, you can visit cox.com/residential/internet/connect2compete.html and start your application. The good news is that no social security number or credit check is required for the application. However, you must attach eligibility documents to get approved for free cox internet for college students.
Who Qualifies For Cox Free Internet?
We have already stated that Cox free internet is given to ACP-eligiblee households. Therefore, you must be eligible for ACP before receiving free internet. However, there are some exceptional cases for cox existing customers. If you are an existing customer with cox connect2compete internet, connectAssist internet, or lifeline phone plus internet, you are likely to qualify for Cox free internet. Below are other eligibility requirements:
1. If you are a low income customer
To qualify for Cox free internet via ACP, you should come from low-income households. As a family or individual, you must have a total income that is below or equal to 200% of the federal poverty guideline. Before determining your poverty guideline, know that it changes from one state to another. Also, poverty guideline varies on the size of your household and changes every year. Therefore, you should visit the federal communications commission page to determine your actual poverty guideline before applying for Cox free internet.
2. If you participate in a government assistance program
Several government assistance programs in the US help strained families to afford basic needs for free. To waive economic problems among low-income families, the Federal Government offers qualifying families food assistance, health, education, and housing assistance. If you get any help, you are considered qualified for Cox free internet. Note that these programs are available for both federal and tribal-land residents. Here is an example of these programs:
- Tribal Head Start
- Food Distribution Programs on Indian Reservations(FDPIR)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for the Needy Families
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance(BIA)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program(LIHEAP)
- SNAP (Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program)
- SSI(Supplemental Security Income)
- Veterans Survivor Pension fund
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
- Medicaid or Medical Assistance
- Federal Pell Grant in the current years
- The National School lunch programs, such as free or reduced lunch program
What Documents Needs To Apply For Cox Free Internet?
When applying for Cox free internet, you will be asked for identity verification. Besides, you will be asked to provide income documentation proof, unemployment status or government assistance program documents. Here is an example of all documents required:
- Personal documents such as Driver’s license, residential address document, Government issued ID, passport, state ID card or birth certificate.
- Income proof documents such as The Federal, state or tribal return of the previous year, social Security statement of benefits, Current income statement or Worker’s or unemployment compensation statement of benefits
- Program participation documents such as SSI approval letter, Tribal head start cover letter, Medicaid membership card, Federal Pell grant cover letter, Federal Public Housing Assistance statement of benefits or Tribal head start benefit verification letter.
How Do I Apply For Cox Free Internet?
- Step 1. Before applying for Cox free internet, you should first check eligibility. If you meet at least one of the requirements above, proceed to the next step.
- Step 2. This step requires you to check cox availability in your area. This is because cox services are not available everywhere. Therefore, you should check eligibility in your home before proceeding to the next step.
- Step 3: To apply for Cox free internet, you must be registered as an existing customer at cox.com. If you are not registered, this step requires you to set up a registration though visiting https://www.cox.com/myprofile/registration.html and register using your phone number, email or phone number. Once you register, sign-in to your account to apply.
- Step 4: To sign in to your account, visit cox.com, enter your User ID, password and tap on sign in. once you sign in, follow the given procedures to apply for Affordable Connectivity Program with free internet.
Cox Free Internet Plan
Through the affordable connectivity program, Cox offers a free internet plan to all eligible customers. However, although it is commonly referred to as Cox free internet plan, this plan is not completely free. Instead, qualifying customers get a monthly discount of up to $30 and up to $75 to qualifying customers on tribal land. However, once you apply your $30 discount to a plan like ConnectAssist package that costs $30 per month, you will be able to enjoy it for free.
While applying for Cox free internet plan, there are a few things to be keen about. First of all, this plan only applies to postpaid internet. Also, these discounts are temporary and subject to change at any time. Besides, they are non-transferable and applicable to one member per household.
What Is Cox Connect To Compete?
Cox Connect2Compete is an internet package meant to help low-income families with cheap home internet. The package offers low-cost internet to qualifying students for only $9. 95 per month. However, this package is not meant to help every family. To qualify, you must have a K-12 student and participate in any government assistance program. Once you qualify, Connect2Complete offers you a download speed of up to 100 Mbps and upload speed of up to 3 Mbps. Also, you are given a WIFI modem, WIFI hotspots, and 1280 GB monthly data.
Other Cox Internet Plans
Besides the above-mentioned plans, Cox offers other low cost and prepaid internet plans as follows;
- ConnectAssist package: This is a low-cost internet plan from cox communications that costs $30 per month. The plan offers a WIFI modem, one-year unlimited data plans, download speed of 100Mbps, and 3 Mbps upload speed, WIFI hotspots and McAfee security suite.
- Straight Up internet: This is a prepaid internet plan that charges $50 per month. This plan offers a WIFI modem, 1280 GB monthly data, up to 5Mbps upload speeds and easy to access WIFI hotspots. The good thing about this plan is that there is no credit check, no term agreement and no hidden fees.
- Starter internet: Starter internet plan helps you to stay connected for only $29.99 per month. This plan offers 1280 GB data with a download speed of 25 Mbps and 3 Mbps upload speed.
- Essential 50 plan: This plan costs $39.99 per month. The plans offer 1.25 TB monthly data with an upload speed of 3 Mbps and 50 Mbps download speed. Besides, you can get 3 million-plus WIFI hotspots and security suite.
- Preferred 250: For only $59.99 per month, this plan gives easy access to online games and school activation. The plan gives access to 250 Mbps download speeds, up to 10 Mbps upload speeds and 1280 GB monthly data. It allows WIFI connection of up to 7 devices.
- Ultimate 500: Ultimate 500 is another amazing internet plan for COX that costs $79.99 per month. You can stream 4K videos, access multi-player games, and connect up to 9 devices with the plan. The plan also offers up to 500 Mbps and 10 Mbps download and upload speeds respectively. Besides, you are given access to 1280 GB of monthly data.
How Do I Get Free Cox Internet If I Don’t Qualify For ACP?
If you don’t qualify for ACP, you can get free cox internet through connect2Complete package. However, you must be a K-12 student to get this package. Once you qualify, apply for free cox internet by filling out an application form.
How Do I Get Free Hotspot From Cox?
Cox helps everyone to remain connected by giving out free hotspot trials to its subscribers. To get the free trial, you should register by providing your name, internet provider, and email address. Once you register, enter the code provided and redeem it for use. Note that hotspot from cox free trial is restricted to one code per device.
Is Cox Panoramic WIFI App Free?
Yes. You can download the Cox panoramic WIFI app from Google play or App store. As long as you have a mobile device with an android version of 7.0 and above or tablets with IOS 11.0 and above, you are good to go. Once you install the app, sign in to start using it. To sign in, use your Cox primary password and User ID. Once you sign in, you can use the app for several purposes. For instance, to view your cox internet connection status, change your WIFI password name and password, as explained here https://www.cox.com/residential/support/cox-panoramic-wifi-app-features.html.
Are Cox Hotspots Unlimited?
Cox does not offer special hotspot plans. However, they offer 3M+ Wi-Fi hotspots with data caps through various internet plans. Unfortunately, Cox hotspots are unlimited to the number of connectivity devices. Some plans are limited to 3 devices while others are limited to 9 devices. For instance, starter 29 plan allows up to 3 hotspot devices, preferred 250 plan is limited to 7 devices, while gigablast plan is limited to 9 hotspot devices.