Since the 21st century began, a lot has changed. To be specific, technology has changed the way we do our daily activities. As we speak, there is a proliferation of modern tech devices that have revolutionized how we communicate, do business and even learn in school. Some of these tech gadgets include the tablet and the iPad. These are some of the most lovable and highly demanded gadgets. They are used in schools, workplaces, and even at home. To some, these devices look similar.
In fact, most people are fond of confusion between these devices. However, there is a whole world of difference between them. This article will outline some of the significant differences between tablet and iPad devices so that you can make a wise decision when buying any of them.
Is a Tablet the Same as an iPad?
Prospective buyers of digital gadgets are fond of asking the above-phrased question. In any case, these devices look nearly the same. However, there are some features that set these devices apart. To start with, iPad and Android tablets have borrowed from each other several features ad this makes them look identical.
However, one critical difference between these devices is that the iPad is the Apple’s version of a tablet in most cases, tablets normally use Google’s Android operating system. However, iPad on the other hand runs on Apple’s iOS. Besides this, the iPad cannot interact with multiple apps at the same time. The tablet on the other hand is more versatile and therefore allows you to use one app while other apps are running in the background.
What is a Tablet?
A tablet is an internet operating device that resembles a smartphone but has a larger screen display. For you to access the internet with this device, you need to either have a good Wi-Fi connection or a 3G or 4G data plan. As we speak, there are some carriers that offer 5G connectivity and therefore, your tablet will be able to access the internet faster when you are using such high-speed internet connectivity.
Compared to a notebook computer, it is relatively smaller. However, it is thin and allows you to download apps from the Google Play Store. Besides this, the tablet is mostly operated by touching the screen. Therefore, you will not need to have physical keyboard with you. Once you turn on your tablet, you will have access to various apps on a large screen. Finally, it operates on several operating systems such as Google’s Android, Apple’s Ios, or better still, Microsoft’s Windows.
What is an iPad?
An iPad is actually a brand name for Apple’s line of tablets. Unlike the tablet, it is a single product and is not an identity of a variety of products. You will note that iPad runs on Apple’s own OS, commonly known as iOS. Also, the iPad does not support Flash or shock-wave flash videos. Therefore, if you would like to view Flash-based sites or, better still watch Flash videos, you might encounter a number of challenges, unlike if you were doing the same with a normal tablet. Finally, it is difficult to multitask with an iPad. Therefore, you will not be able to interact with several apps at the same time, while using this device.
Remarkable Differences Between Tablet and iPad
There are remarkable differences between tablets and iPads. Some of these differences include:
Usage Differences Between iPad and Tablet
When it comes to usage, the tablet is basically a small, flat, and wireless device that works the same way as a computer or laptop. However, an iPad is a type of tablet that Apple has manufactured. Basically, an iPad comes in the line of tablet that runs on Apple’s iOS. When using an iPad, you will be using a tablet made by Apple.
Operating System Differences Between iPad and Tablet
Tablets normally work on a number of operating systems such as Android, Microsoft Windows, and so on. The tablet, on the other hand, runs only on the iOS operating systems.
Apps and Software Differences Between iPad and Tablet
If you are using a tablet, the space present for storing apps is not as much compared to that of the iPad. It means that you will be able to store more apps on the iPad compared to tablets. It is important to note that iPad does not support Flash or shock-wave flash videos.
Therefore, you will have issues whenever you are using your iPad to play Flash games, view Flash-based websites, or better still watch Flash-based videos. However, if you are using a tablet, you will be able to do all these activities seamlessly.
Security and Privacy Difference Between iPad and Tablet
When it comes to security, both operating systems have made a lot of strides. However, Apple closely guards their source codes. Android, on the other hand, have made most of their OS open-source. This means that you are likely to encounter more malware when using a tablet compared to when you are using an iPad.
As far as privacy is concerned, the iPad has an improved security feature, thanks to the facial scanner, making sure that you are the only person who can open the device. The tablet is still making strides on this aspect, as you have the option to lock your device using a password, pin, or better still a pattern. However, from a security standpoint, the iPad tends to be safer compared to the tablet.
Design & Hardware Differences Between iPad and Tablet
One of the things that catch your attention whenever you look at any of these devices is their respective designs. Compared to the tablet, the iPad is far behind. This is because modern tablets come with marvelous designs from the manufacturer. Their shapes and sizes are impressive, to say the least. However, iPads have now started improving their designs in a bid to win more customers.
Battery Life Differences Between iPad and Tablet
Most tablets come with batteries that have higher mAh rating compared to the iPads. Therefore, it’s obvious that your tablet will last longer compared to iPad. However, how you use these devices will determine their respective battery lives. The more activities you do with either of them, the shorter the battery life and as result, you might have to recharge the battery so that you can continue using the device more conveniently.
Target Market Differences Between iPad and Tablet
The tablets are mostly bought by people with relatively lower-income, while people with a higher income normally buy iPads. Pricewise, you will note that tablets are relatively cheaper than the iPad, and therefore most people tend to invest in them compared to iPads.
Difference Between iPad and Tablet in Key Areas
As stated above, there are major differences between these two devices. We shall take an in-depth look at some of these differences so that you can be able to distinguish between an iPad and a tablet in terms of their strengths and weaknesses respectively.
There are a number of features that come with an iPad that makes it a good product to invest in. These include:
- It is more stable and easy to use compared to a tablet. In fact, it runs smoother than most tablets you see around. This device comes with an easy-to-use operating system that makes it ideal for average and even novice users. When it comes to app development, iPads take the lead as these apps are easy to understand and even use. Therefore, this device has won the hearts of many users, thanks to this feature.
- When it comes to the integration between devices and platforms, the iPad does not disappoint. Android tablets, on the other hand, are not capable of doing this at the moment. With this feature, you can readily copy and paste between your iPad and your MacBook as long as they are running on the latest version of their OS.
- The iPad has the Apple ‘App Store’. Here, you will get a myriad of apps that you can download for your iPad. From Facebook to WhatsApp, there are a number of apps you can download. As we speak, the Apple app store is home to about 2 million apps designed for iOS devices. This means that you can download apps for your iPad, iPod Touch, and even your iPhone. When it comes to the iPad, you will have the liberty to download more than 1 million apps. Some of these apps include wireless keyboards, external speakers, tablet cases, and many more.
- It is important to note that Apple products officially support and allow only the installed apps through their own store. Remember that Apple normally checks and approves these apps prior to releasing them into the Apple store for sale. This way, the company is able to eliminate the possibility of malware and bugs getting into their devices.
- When it comes to making updates on social media platforms, you can be sure that you will be able to share anything you please on either Facebook or Twitter while using an iPad, thanks to its deep integration of Twitter and Facebook with Ios.
Every coin is double sides. That means, although the iPad has many merits, it also comes with a number of shortcomings. Some of the demerits of this device include:
- To start with, there is a common complaint about the customization options in an iPad. Here, users normally encounter a lot of limitations, making them consider using jail-breaking. If you are an iPad user, you will be largely stuck with the same uniform columns and rows of icons that have been in place since time immemorial.
- Multitasking is another problem when it comes to iPads. Whenever you are using one application, you have to use it to the end. If you open another app while the other one is running, the previous one just pauses.
- Besides having issues with multitasking, you cannot expand your iPad’s storage capacity using a micro-SD card, in case there is no slot for a memory card. This means that once you have consumed the storage space in your iPad, you have really done it. If this happens, you might consider using external hard drives. However, you will not be able to hook up any external hard drive to your iPad. This is because the iPad does not have USB ports. Also, external drives that need USB connections will not be recognized by the iPad. Instead of this, you can consider using adapters and other storage devices that can use Wi-Fi and Apple’s own Lightning port so as to connect. This way, you will have some additional storage.
- Flash or shock-wave videos cannot run on an iPad. However, this is not a big issue as most websites are now using Apple-compatible HTML 5.Better still, there are other apps you can download from the iOS App store so that you get Flash on your iOS device.
- When it comes to price, the Ipad is more expensive than the tablet. Therefore, you have to set a budget for it in order to get a high-quality iPad.
Android tablets: Strengths
Android tablets have a number of merits. Some of these advantages include:
- It allows you to customize it the way you please. Here, you can trust that you will get a plethora of options regarding the customization process. In fact, you will be able to customize the interface on an Android tablet down to the last pixel.
- Besides allowing you to customize it, Android tablets are readily available in a wide range of models. Therefore, you will have the luxury to choose the device you please, from premier to newer-brands out there. Some of the common brands you can find in the market include Samsung Galaxy, Google Nexus, and even Kindle Fire. All these brands come with different features, and it’s upon you to choose which brand suits your needs.
- With an Android tablet, you will be able to interchange your default browser for a newer one.
- There are many apps at the Google Play Store that you can download for your tablet. From Facebook App to WhatsApp, there are many apps you can find in the Google Play Store. All you have to do is to search for the app you need and then download it.
- An Android tablet allows you to multitask. Here, you will be able to use multiple apps at the same time seamlessly.
- If you need additional space, you just need to buy a MicroSD card, and you will be good to go. However, the option to add a MicroSD card is not available for all tablets.
- Finally, Android tablets are cheaper compared to iPads. This feature makes them better compared to the iPad, which is quite costly.
Android tablets: Weaknesses
- Compared to the Ipad, the Android tablet is not as simple and intuitive as you would wish.
- Although there are plenty of apps on the Google Play Store, some of these apps are not optimized for Android tablets.
- Finally, Google Play app store does not pre-check apps before one takes them to the store. This can lead to some malicious apps making their way to your device. Therefore, it is advisable that you be careful as you download these apps for your Android tablet.
People also ask
What is the Apple SIM?
This basically stands for Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) that is produced by Apple Inc that supports multiple wireless services from different carriers.
How is Apple SIM Different from a Regular SIM?
With an Apple SIM, you will be able to enjoy more flexibility from a myriad of short-term plans from select carriers in the US and UK on your iPad. Therefore, in case you feel you need it, you can go ahead and choose the most suitable plan for you. The best plans should come with no long-term contracts.
Which iPad Models Support the Apple SIM?
The iPad Pro 12 9-inch (second generation) is one of those iPads that support the Apple SIM. Besides this, the iPad Pro 10 5-inch and Cellular model iPad are also compatible with this SIM card.
What Is the Best Device for Education, iPad or Tablet?
An iPad is better for education as it comes with an easy-to-use interface. Besides this, it comes with useful apps that can be very helpful to the learner.
Whether you want to buy an iPad or an Android tablet, it is important that you understand the above-mentioned differences. This way, you will be able to make a wise choice. Both devices have made an entry into the market, and more people are acquiring either of these devices. If you have more money, you can go for the iPad. It is classier and is relatively easy to use. However, if you are operating on a budget, you can settle for the Android tablet. The choice is solely yours.