A laptop is a gadget that provides flexibility and freedom while solving any computer-based issues. It helps us to finish jobs in an organized way. This portable computer has been accompanying us for around 2 decades. From study to academic research, from documentation to distribution, from jobs to businesses, the laptop has vibrant and versatile usages among us. Internet connection with your laptop can make you complete any tasks on your list. But currently, millions of Americans find it hard to afford laptops and high-speed internet as this Covid-19 pandemic has left millions of Americans income less. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) initiated a new broadband benefit to aid low-income people named Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) Program.
The EBB (Emergency Broadband Benefit) program is designed to provide discounted internet and nearly free smartphone and Laptop to eligible households who are helpless without these. EBB is available for low-income families and individuals across the United States. This EBB program provides a free laptop and internet connection to low-income families. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a good quality laptop? If you qualify, you’ll also get a monthly discounted Internet connection with a free tablet. Here are some more details about this program and how to get the EBB program free tablet to help you or your loved one.
Free Laptop Providers Under EBB (Emergency Broadband Benefit) Program
Human-I-T is a renowned nonprofit organization to bridges the digital divide for people to technology. This provider participates in EBB emergency broadband benefits by providing discount high-speed internet and devices.
- 85 hotspot plus free monthly services
- Laptop cost between $20-$50
- English and Spanish both assistance
Pcs for People
PCS for People provides the opportunity to eligible low-income households to make their life better. It distributes desktop and laptop computers to eligible recipients. They also offer quality refurbished desktops, laptops, internet, and other accessories. They provide facilities for all low-income individuals to benefit from the highly effective impact of computers and mobile internet.
- $50 discount on hotspot/modem subscription for new subscribers ( total cost will be from $75-95, $25-45 )
- In the case of the renewal of one-month internet service, there will be a full discount. Meaning you have to pay $0 when the benefit is applied.
- A $100 discount on a desktop computer packages or laptop, if anyone purchases a new or renewed internet subscription, as supply allows.
Qualification Criteria for The EBB (Emergency Broadband Benefit) Program Free Laptop
FCC has specified some points of criteria based on which you can check your eligibility. If any member of your household matches one of those criteria, then you can apply for an EBB-free laptop. There are categories of eligibility criteria:
Participation in programs for Low-income people:
If any of your household members is a participant of any federal assistance program (Federal Lifeline Programs) then your household can enroll in EBB and enjoy free laptops along with the discounted internet.
- SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)
- SSI (Supplemental Security Income)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Veterans Survivor Pensions Benefits Fund
- If you are a receiver of the Federal Pell Grant in the current year.
Income range according to federal guidelines:
- As per the federal poverty guideline, if your income is below 135% then you can apply as eligible to get an EBB program free laptop on behalf of your household.
- You will be eligible to apply if you experienced any substantial loss or got terminated or furloughed since February 29 of 2020. Your yearly income range also determines your eligibility status. For a single filer, if the total yearly income range is a maximum of 99,000 dollars, then you can get a laptop. For joint filers, the yearly income should be below 198,000 dollars.
If anyone in your household lives with a disability then your household can get a free laptop under the EBB program. But, you have to prove the disability during the application process
How To Get a Free Laptop From EBB (Emergency Broadband Benefit) Program?
According to the Federal Communications Commission, the participants of the Lifeline program will automatically get the EBB free laptops if they apply. In that case, you will just need to submit the program documents. Households must submit their eligibility request with proper information and the required documentation. If you think you meet any of the eligibility criteria then apply for the EBB program free laptop. Here are the following steps are given below:
First, you will have to go through the verification check to know your eligibility status for the EBB program free laptop. For this, you will have to complete the USAC online verification process. Go to the National Verifier website and check your household’s eligibility status. The national verifier will determine your eligibility for the EBB program free laptop. The National verifier will go through the information you provided and check the server to look for if there’s any unauthorized issue. You will get a notification from the national verifier on your status.
Now you will have to complete the EBB form. You can choose to do it online by visiting the EBB website. Here you will have to provide every required documentation supporting your eligibility and need for a laptop computer. You can also apply by filling up the EBB form. Also, you can download the application form and fill it up then send it to EBBs mail address. You will have to attach the required documents and certificates supporting your need for a free laptop.
Once you are approved, the FCC will notify you to collect your voucher which will let you get the laptop. Now you can visit the selected shops to get the laptop against the voucher.
How To Choose The Right Laptop From The EBB (Emergency Broadband Benefit) Program?
In this EBB program, the participant providers offer free laptops with specific brands and models. So you can choose one of them considering some laptop guides in mind:
- Memory : The memory drive should be sufficient enough as we have to store lots of files including high-resolution video. So look for enough ROM capacity. It would be great if you get an SSD as ROM. RAM is another important part that enhances the performance and lets you finish your task.
- Operating System : You always need to work with the latest Operating System. The laptop should support the latest version of macOS or Windows 10. So that you can enable all the software in the latest versions. The hardware configuration should allow you to update the system on your own.
- Battery Capacity : The battery life should be the main concern when we talk about a laptop. Since we mostly depend on this portable gadget while traveling, it should last at least 4 to 6 hours to finish any task. Fast charging features would be an added benefit. So look for an efficient battery.
- Screen : HD resolution is preferable as these days we watch or work on high-resolution video. A good screen and good resolution will provide you with efficient visibility and let you work with energy and comfort.
- Warranty : Its intelligence to demand warranty support from the participant provider. There should be at least a 6 months warranty from the brand. Getting a money-back guarantee would be better.
What Are The Best Free Laptops From EBB (Emergency Broadband Benefit) Program?
As we already mentioned, you will have to choose from the specified options to get the EBB program free laptop. Here are some of the best free laptops from the EBB program:
HP Spectre X 360
This is one of the best laptops you can get for whatever you want to accomplish. Its 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD ROM will be sufficient enough to store and process any data you input. You will be able to work on any highly configured software. Its long battery life and powerful processor will let you work with seamless performance.
Microsoft Surface Laptop
This is one of the most deserved laptops of the EBB program free laptops. It has mostly deserved high-configured features with long battery life. You will get an excellent viewing experience with its 13.5” inches display. The fabric cover makes its design look sleek. The laptop runs on Windows 10.
Asus ZenBook 13 Ultra-slim Laptop
ZenBook has already gained huge popularity for its slim and lightweight design. The high-capacity battery with long battery life will serve you for up to 22 hours and will not let you down. All USB 3.0 ports will let you stay connected with any device.
Acer Spin 5 Convertible
You can call it an intelligent laptop with an interactive display and convertible body. This thin and lightweight laptop will take your creativity anywhere you go. You can rotate it with flexibility.
How long will I receive benefits?
According to the FCC, this program is temporary. It will last for at least six months or until the 3.2 billion fund ends. It was funded initially with $3.2 billion. And the FCC already announced that EBB ends immediately after the Department of Health Service declares that Covid-19 is over. The Government will notify the provider at least 60 days before when the program ends.
What happens when the Emergency Broadband Benefits Program Ends?
The EBB program is temporary, and the Federal Government doesn’t have any fixed expiration date. All providers will stop providing the benefits to the EBB customers immediately after the expiration of EBB. They will notify you of your last billing cycle and the full cost of your broadband services.
When will I know if I am able to get the EBB or not?
The provider will respond to you within 2 to 3 business days. The responding time varies on the company. Sometimes they will confirm via email. You can check the website or call at customer care number.
Getting a free laptop is the coolest thing especially when you do many virtual tasks. It is possible to get a free laptop through the EBB by the Federation Communications Commission (FCC). All you need to do is fill out the form properly and wait for their feedback. The FCC is trying to expand broadband internet access through its EBB program. The EBB free laptop program will provide eligible households with an affordable laptop and broadband internet connection. They aim to bridge the digital divide for people who have been having a hard time during this pandemic crisis.