The pandemic also affected the cost of living making it hard and unbearable for many. As a result, not everyone could afford tablets for communication. This mostly affected People from low-income families as they were constrained and could not afford tablets like their peers. As a result, the government came up with the Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) which is currently Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). With this program in place, all eligible individuals would get a tablet, smartphone, laptop and affordable cell phone plans that would enable them to remain connected and do business online. In this article, we shall take a closer look at free government tablet so that you can know them better.
Does Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) Provide a Government Free Tablet
The good news is that the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) provides almost free tablet to all eligible individuals who are struggling to remain connected with their loved ones during the pandemic. Although not completely free, Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) government tablets are normally reduced to $10.01 which makes the tablet as good as free. These tablets help to connect loved ones, help users work from home, access health services, learn online, and so forth.
The almost free tablets from Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) are delivered to users through service providers with Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) services. One of the most renowned and reliable Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) service providers with free government tablets is QLink Wireless. However, to qualify, you must have lost your income during the pandemic. Besides this, you must have an income that is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or is a participant in any of the government assistance programs.
Steps to Get a Free Government Tablet Through Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)
For you to get a free government tablet, there are a series of steps that you should follow. These include:
1. Contact your ACP service provider
As we speak, there are many broadband service providers who work with Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) so as to offer much-needed free government tablets to all eligible individuals. Therefore, you should contact your service provider of choice to verify whether they offer free tablets through the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). After verification, you can go ahead and make your application. Better still, if your current or previous carrier used to offer such services, be sure that you will have an easy time during the application process.
To put it into perspective, there are over 100 service providers who offer Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). Based on your state, you should choose the one that suits you. Fortunately, some service providers typically work in more than one state. Some of the service providers who offer this program include:
- QLink Wireless
- Cintex Wireless
- Airtalk Wireless
- Newphone Wireless
- Assurance Wireless
- Boost Mobile
- EnTouch Wireless
- Excess Telecom
To find the service provider within your location, you should visit https://www.fcc.gov/affordable-connectivity-program-providers.
2. Check if you meet the eligibility requirements
Once you have found the service provider of choice, the next step is to determine if you meet the eligibility terms. Ideally, you should look for one that you match and has an easy application process. If you meet all the stated eligibility requirements, you can now go ahead and apply.
3. Apply online
Although there are other methods for applying for a free government tablet, applying online has proved to be one of the most seamless ways to get started. Unlike other methods, this one is quite simple and straightforward.
To apply online
- You should first visit www.affordableconnectivity.gov/how-to-apply/.
- Once you do this, you will be redirected to another page where you need to enter your personal details such as the date of birth, your full name, and so forth. Also, you need to enter other vital details such as:
- Your Social Security Number
- Your tribal ID
- Your driver’s license number
- Thereafter, you will be needed to attach images of these documents so that your details can be authenticated.
- Once you are done, enter your address and then confirm that all these details are correct.
- After that, you can now wait for 3 to 5 business days for your application to be approved.
In case, you find it difficult to apply online, you can opt for a mail-in application. Here, you will need to print the copy of the application form and then key in the right details. After that, send it to the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) offices. Here is the address that you submit your application to:
Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) Support Centre
P.O. BOX 7081
London, KY 40742
4. Wait for approval
Like we have mentioned above, you need to wait for your application to be approved for you to get your free tablet from the government. If you qualify for one, the service provider offering the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) tablet will contact you. Here, the carrier will even inform you on how you will receive the benefits that come with this program.
In case you experience hiccups during the application process, you may have to submit your form again and see if it works. Chances are that your photo may not be as clear as it ought to be, and so forth.
Submitting a clear photo may help avert such scenarios. Better still, if any of your details are not right, you may have to apply again and submit the application form afresh. In case you did not qualify, the service provider will notify you.
Generally, the process of applying for a free government tablet is simple and direct. In case, you qualify you can expect to get the tablet within a few days. After that, you will be able to remain connected with those whom you love, do business online, and so much more.
Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) Qualifications For a Government Free Tablet
For you to get a free tablet from the government, there is a raft of qualifications that one needs to meet. If you meet any of these qualifications, you are eligible to get this tablet:
- You experienced a substantial loss of income as a result of losing your job since February 29, 2020. Also, if your household’s total income in 2020 stood at or was below $198,000 for joint filers and $99000 for single filers.
- You received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year.
- You have been approved to enjoy the benefit under the free and reduced-price school breakfast or lunch program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision during the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 academic year.
- You have an income that is at or is below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines
- You participate in government assistance programs such as SNAP, Lifeline Assistance, Medicaid, and so forth.
- You meet the eligibility terms of your service provider. Remember that these eligibility terms vary from one service provider to another. To know these eligibility requirements, you should visit the FAQ section and learn more about them.
Documents Required to Get Government Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) Free Tablet
When applying to get a free Government tablet, there are an array of documents that you should submit depending on your eligibility category. The kind of documents that you will submit also depends on your state and the organization you choose to apply through. Therefore, it is imperative that you check the organization’s official website so that you can get more details about the eligibility criteria and the documents you need to submit. Here are some of the documents that you need to submit:
- Your photo ID
- Your contact information
- Proof of income
- Proof of residence
- Proof or government aid program membership
Online Application Form to Get Free Tablet
Online application forms to get free tablets are normally available on your Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) service provider’s website. For instance, you can get these application forms from https://qlinkwireless.com/signup/g-6-717/ . These forms come with a number of instructions and details to fill.
As you fill out the application, it is important that you enter the correct details and attach all the necessary documents. More importantly, confirm that everything is correct so that your application can be approved. Once you have made your confirmation, you can now go ahead and then submit your application.
Some of the details you can expect to find in the online application form include:
- The eligibility requirements
- The documents that you need to submit
- The brand and model of your tablet
Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) Service Provider That Offer Government Free Tablet
When applying to get a free government tablet, you can readily do this through a charity or non-profit organization, or government (Lifeline providers). Here are some of the best companies that offer government free tablets:
- Q Link Wireless : Besides Smartriverside, you can also apply for a free government tablet from QLink Wireless. However, this service provider offers new tablets to all Lifeline-eligible customers. Besides this, the carrier offers much-needed cell phone services free of charge. Here, you will be able to enjoy free minutes, free data, and even free texts. Also, you will be at liberty to bring your own device and number. All you need to do is to sign up and then get verified and finally activate your services later on.
- Smartriverside : This company offers free tablets to individuals from low-income families with the support of the government. Besides this, it works hand-in-hand with non-profit organizations. As far as the eligibility requirements are concerned, you will note that they differ from one state to another. Therefore, you should check the eligibility requirements in your state and then make your application online.
- Everyoneon : The above-mentioned program is available in nearly 50 states of the U.S. It is ideal for families whose annual income is less than $35000. Unlike other companies, Everyoneon offers free refurbished tablets and internet services to all unemployed individuals. Also, these individuals can get free courses offered by this program.
- Computer For Learning : The above-mentioned company usually distributes refurbished tablets and even computers to different schools, universities, and colleges in the US. However, only eligible individuals are bound to get these devices. To check your eligibility, you need to give them a call or better still, send them an email.
- Cintex Wireless
- Airtalk Wireless
- Newphone Wireless
What Type of Free Tablets Government Provide Under Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)?
First and foremost, it is essential to note that these tablets come in different brands and models. However, this depends on your state, institution, and availability. Generally, you will not be able to receive the tablet you would really wish to receive. However, most of them are either new, pre-owned or refurbished. The good news is that these tablets come in pristine condition. Here are the types you can expect to receive from the government:
- Lenovo Tab M10 Plus Tablet
- Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 2
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S7
- LG G Pad 5
- Apple 12.9-inch iPad Pro 2021
- Fire HD 10 Tablet + Amazon standing case
- 2020 Apple iPad
- New Microsoft Surface GO 2-Platinum
Other Ways To Get Free Tablet
Although you can get a free tablet from the government, there are other ways you can consider and still get this device for free. These include:
1. Charities and non-profit organizations
As we speak, there are many charities and non-profit organizations that give tablets free of charge to their volunteers. In most cases, volunteers are able to get these devices and other electronic devices from the stores and later distribute them among themselves and other staff members. Therefore, if you are a volunteer in any of these organizations, be sure that you will get a tablet for free.
In addition, charities are fond of offering tablets to individuals from low-income families. Sometimes, these charities usually operate locally and other times internationally. Although these charities normally offer new tablets, most of them usually offer refurbished models depending on how substantial it is and where they get their financial aid.
To get a tablet from either a charity or non-profit organization, there is specific criterion one should follow when applying for a tablet. For optimal results, you should contact your charity or non-profit organization of choice and then make your application.
Currently, there are many churches and religious groups that offer free tablets to individuals coming from low-income families. In fact, some of them usually raise funds by partnering with big companies such as Amazon and Microsoft and are thus able to get tablets for low-income families and students.
3. Public libraries
Although you may not essentially be given a free tablet from these libraries, be sure that you will get free access to a tablet and thus use it the way you please. Also, there is an internet service to enable you to work online, do research, and so forth.
4. Give away contests
You can now participate in giveaway contests and still be able to get a tablet free of charge. Since there are many contests that you may across online, it is imperative that you ensure that your contest of choice is legit.
You can do your own research online or better still, ask for recommendations from friends and relatives. If you are able to verify it, you can go ahead and participate in that content. Chances are that you may be lucky to win a high-end tablet.
5. Buy one get one offers
There are some companies that allow you to get a free tablet once you buy one from them. However, you must pay for the device upfront, and you will get another one almost immediately. You can look out for such offers and perhaps ask your friend or relative to consider them. In fact, you may be lucky to get a free tablet from that company.
6. Look online
As we speak, there are a plethora of websites that offer different products at a low cost. Some good examples include Freecycle, Craigslist, and so forth. You will note that these sites usually resell their products at a subsidized price. Other times, you might find free items, and a tablet could be one of them. Therefore, you should not hesitate to keep an eye on such platforms. You may be lucky to get a good tablet free of charge.
7. Social media
Social media platforms such as Facebook is a good place to find a tablet of your choice. Chances are that there are people who might have posted tablets for sale on this platform. Since some of them are second-hand models, they might cost a relatively lower price. Other times, you may lucky to find a person ready to give out his or her tablet for free. You can take advantage of that and get the tablet immediately.
8. Look for refurbished tablets
There are some shops and stores that allow customers to find second second-hand tablets out there. These shops sell not only tablets but also other electronics such as mobile phones and even laptops. You can visit such shops and see if you can get a tablet free of charge. If the tablet is not being sold for free, you may have to buy it at a lower price. Either way, you will enjoy more convenience.
What if the tablet I received is damaged in transit, will I get a replacement?
Yes. You do not bear any responsibility in case your tablet was damaged while on transit. All you need to do is to contact your service provider instantly and let them know that your device is faulty. After some days, you will be able to get a replacement free of charge.
Do free tablet providers offer reliable customer care?
Well, it depends on your service provider of choice. For instance, official Lifeline providers are known to offer reliable customer care services. Here, you will be able to reach them through email, phone, or online chat. On the other hand, smaller charities and churches may not essentially offer great customer services like their counterparts. However, if you have an issue with their free tablet, feel free to contact them, and you will get help.
Can I upgrade my government free tablet?
Well, this depends on where you obtained your free tablet from. However, most non-profit organizations and charities do not offer these upgrades to their customers. On the other hand, other service providers may charge you a small fee for this undertaking.
Are free tablets really free?
Most institutions usually offer these tablets free of charge. For instance, free tablets from churches or other charity organizations are really free. However, free tablets from Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) service providers are not completely free as they come with a minor and affordable fee. Generally, free tablets are really free or not depending on where you get it from.
Can seniors get a free tablet?
Yes. There are some service providers who offer free tablets to senior citizens. It is important that you make inquiries and ask your service provider whether they provide free tablets to seniors or not.
It is true to say that one can now get a free tablet from the government and remain connected with his or her loved ones. If you do not qualify for a free government tablet, you can consider other methods such as the ones we have mentioned above, and you will get a free tablet. With a free tablet, you will keep in touch with your friends, learn online, and even do business online during the pandemic. Consider these ideas today, and you will not regret it.