Apple ID is the user’s unique identifier. When you purchase a new Apple product; be it a phone, Mac, or iPad, you need an ID to configure your device. It is what gives you access to major product services and resources. Not that you cannot operate your device without an id but it’s necessary. Without it, you won’t be able to tap the full potential of your device.
For instance, the Apple ID is what allows you to download applications from the Apple store. You also need it to access iCloud and iTunes services among others.
During the first-time configuration, you are required to enter your Id. If you don’t have one, you can create one at this point or later. Basically, Apple ID is an email address. You can use your normal email address, a third party, or Apple email something like @icloud.com, @me.com, etc.
With time, you may need to change your Apple ID due to various reasons. It might be because you are no longer using that email, or you want to use a different account. Whatever your reasons might be, we’re here for you.
Sub Questions / Contents
- 1 Can I Change My Apple ID Without Losing Everything?
- 2 Steps To Check Apple ID On iPhone
- 3 Steps To Change Apple ID On iPhone
- 4 FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
- 5 Conclusion
Can I Change My Apple ID Without Losing Everything?
Wondering what awaits you when you change your Apple ID? Fret not. This process has no major effects on your device. However, you’ll face some notable changes.
For instance, you cannot update applications or features linked to the old account. That means you may have to use outdated software or purchase new ones.
About your data, you don’t lose any although it depends on how you have stored it. Your contacts, photos, and calendar events will remain. You also have an option to merge the data in the old account with the new one. That allows you to transfer your data to the new account.
Steps to take before changing your Apple ID
If you have decided to change your iPhone’s Apple ID, it’s imperative to prepare for it. The first step; Log out every instance of that ID in your devices such as iPod, HomePod, or iPad. Let your iPhone remain the only device logged in to that account.
With all your devices logged out of that email, use your iPhone to switch to the new ID. Now, login to the new ID with all the other devices and that should be their new Apple ID.
Before changing the ID, it’s worth noting that if your old ID is an Apple email, you can only switch to its aliases. Such are emails like @mac.com, @me.com, iCloud.com, etc. note that the process should be purely online at “appleid.apple.com”.
Steps To Check Apple ID On iPhone
To check your current Apple ID in your iPhone, follow the steps below;
- Open the Settings App
- Depending on your operating system, you’ll find your ID in different locations. For iOS 13, it is located at the top of the display. To view, click the Apple ID Name and photo. For iOS 12 and before, find it in the iCloud tab.
Steps To Change Apple ID On iPhone
The process of changing the current Apple ID to the new one shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes. It’s a straightforward process. To do that, follow these steps one by one;
Step1: Sign out your current Apple ID
Before attempting the new ID log-in, you should sign out the existing Apple ID. Do the following to sign out;
- Using your iPhone, head to the Settings app
- Locate the Apple ID banner at the top of the screen
- Navigate to the bottom and find the sign out option
- Tap Sign out
- In case you use different accounts for your iCloud, App Stores, and iTunes, remember to Click Sign out too.
- Enter the corresponding password of the Apple ID
- Turn off the Find my iPhone feature
- If there is any information you want to save locally on your iPhone, turn on its category
- Click Sign Out
- Confirm Sign Out by clicking it again when prompted
Step 2: Sign in with the new Apple ID
After executing the first step successfully, it’s time now to log in with the new email. To do that, follow these steps;
- Using your iPhone, navigate to Settings
- Click Sign in to your iPhone
- Click Email. Then enter the new email account you want to use as the Apple ID
- Enter the password associated with the new Apple ID
- If you want to combine the data in the old account, Tap Merge. Otherwise, click ‘don’t merge’. This option stops the old data from uploading to the iCloud account. That means you won’t be able to access that information unless you saved it locally.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I find my Apple ID on my iPhone? / How do I find my Apple ID and password?
The location of your Apple ID depends on your iPhones operating system. If you use the earlier versions of iOS up to 12, you can find the Apple ID by navigating to Settings> iCloud. For the iOS 134 operating system, go to Settings> Apple ID Name & Photo. These paths should lead you to the Apple ID currently logged in your iPhone.
How do I remove an Apple ID from an iPhone?
Removing an Apple ID is different from logging out. Removing an Apple ID means the account will no longer be available on your iPhone. Besides, having several IDs can confuse you when operating your device. To remove an Apple ID, do the following;
- Go to your iPhone’s Settings App
- At the top of your device screen, click Apple ID. Ensure you’re logged in to this account.
- Click iTunes and App Store. Then Tap your Apple ID
- Click View Apple ID. Ensure to confirm when prompted to do so
- Under iTunes in the cloud, click Remove this Device
- Navigate back to your Apple ID page
- Scroll down to the bottom and click sign out option
- Enter the account’s password then click Turn off to confirm
- In the pop-up window, click Sign Out
How do you check if an iPhone is Apple ID locked?
There are two ways you can check whether an iPhone is Apple ID locked. The first one is checking online or in person.
You need the iPhone’s IMEI to check whether it’s locked online. You can ask the seller to provide or check via *#06#. Once you have the IMEI, go to www.icloud.com/activationlock. Enter the device IMEI and the verification code. The IMEI number will come as locked or unlocked.
What do I do if someone is using my Apple ID?
Suspecting a security breach in regards to your Apple ID? Don’t hesitate. Move swiftly to regain control over your account. The following steps will help you recover control and correct the breach;
- Log in to the Apple ID Account page with your credentials. If you cannot access the account because it has been locked, try to unlock or reset it.
- Change your account credentials to stronger ones
- Review the account information. Both personal and security. Change any information that didn’t add or don’t recognize.
- Confirm all the emails associated with your account. Delete any links you don’t understand.
- If possible, set up two-factor authentication for the account. This makes it completely impossible to access your Account even with your password.
How do I reset my Apple ID if the email is no longer valid?
If you are unable to access the email you used for your Apple ID, there is still hope. All you need to do is log in to appleid.apple.com. Here, you’ll just answer a few questions to validate the account ownership. If you answer them correctly, you’ll be allowed to change the email to a new one.
Whether you are selling your iPhone or want to change your Apple ID for other reasons, this guide will help you. Every Apple product user has an ID that is different from the user. That is your license for using Apple resources. Always make sure that your Apple ID and its related details should remain secret. Otherwise, unscrupulous people can mess with your account or even lock you out.