Local channels are free over air channels and so, anyone can access all over the country. This is regardless of whether you have a cable or not. They are local because they only offer local affiliate networks in the country. This is instead of a single nationwide network like FX and TNT. This gives you a chance to watch local and regional news Channels without you having the cable. However, this will differ according to your locality. If you live in a city, you will get more local channels than when living in the countryside
In this article, we will give you ways that you can watch local channels without cable. This is because cable services may be too expensive for getting local channels. There are a plethora of local channels that are free over the air (OTA). This means if you are going to get an OTA antenna, you will access these channels. So, if you want to know these ways, read this guide till the end and you will get the info.
Sub Questions / Contents
- 1 What Kind Of Local Channel Are You Looking For?
- 2 Ways To Watch Local Channels Without Cable
- 3 Watch Local Channels Using TV Antenna
- 4 Watch Local Channels Without an Antenna
- 5 Watch Local Channels Without Cable Using a Streaming Service
- 6 Watch Local Channels Without Cable Using Apps
- 7 Other Options To Watch Local Channels Without Cable
- 8 Which Equipment May Help You To Watch TV Without Cable
What Kind Of Local Channel Are You Looking For?
Due to technological advancement, many people have turned to online streams. However, you may be in a place where there are no decent cable services for such streaming. Also, some people will find it expensive to have cable TV and so you want to cut the cost of living. If so, you will find the need to look for local channels like CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News. This is because local news is available free over the air. This is something cable service providers will never want you to know. Actually, we have better image quality with antennae than cable. So, when you install the antenna, you will access all the local channels that are available in your area.
This may take time to set up, but you will cut a lot of monthly expenses. After installation, you will need a digital converter box. However, you should make sure that you do not have one on your TV. This is because many TVs come with tuners installed as a feature. Yours will be only to install the antennae and start enjoying your local channels.
Ways To Watch Local Channels Without Cable
Generally, there are two broad ways that you can watch TV without cable. These include an antenna and online streaming. However, these two are further broken into many ways. You notice that most homes have internet connectivity and this makes it easy for you to watch your local channel. These are ways that you can watch your local channels without a cable
1. HD Antenna
Watching local channels actually gives you the traditional TV experience. The best-recommended antennas are ClearStream Eclipse and Vansky. One unique feature with an antenna is a one-time buy. You can get more channels than you think. Also, it is very easy to set up and if you follow the guide, you do not need an expert. You can get an antenna for about $20 to $80. With antennae-like ClearStream, you can get it at $80 but you will have access to over 70 channels. It will also come with a removable 12-foot cord that you can stick on your wall or window.
Vansky is actually the cheapest option in this case. You can get it at as low as $20 and has over 70 channels as well. It has a 16.5-foot cord. So, antennae are one way you can actually get your local channels without cable services.
2. Channel App
Channel App is another way you can watch your local channels without cable. There is a channel app than one can subscribe with as low as $10 per month. Others, you do not need to pay because they are free. With this app, you will be able to get your favorite channel by paying for cable services. You can get these apps on the app store or play store for android users.
There is also CBS All Access that will give you access to live TV channels, on-demand TV shows, or even movies. You are sure of getting the original content for your favorite channel. However, CBS All Access live TV is only on 206 markets. So, you should make sure that you are in one of those markets for you to enjoy your local news channel. When you have this platform, you are sure of watching your tv 24/7.
There is NBCUniversal Peacock that will give you live news and sports. It has a greater feature, “virtual channels” where you can create personalized channels. This makes it easier for you to get something to watch. Some of these customized channels can be live news, sports, trending feed, etc.
There are other apps for Fox Now. The CW, ABC, and PBS Video in the app store. You can watch your local channel using these apps not only on phones but also on tablets, laptops, and smart TV.
3. Live TV Streaming App
This is another way to watch your local channels without paying for cable services. You only need to subscribe to the Live TV Streaming app for almost less than $80. If you want to be part of this, subscribe to Sling and you will only pay $35 and get access to all local channels that you want. The Sling Orange does not have local channels but the Sling blue has them. Some of the channels you can find here include FOX, NBC, and NBC Sports.
4. Live Stream local news online
This is one of the ways that you can get to watch your local channel without cable service. Almost all local channels have got websites through which they advertise their services. With the current technology advance, there are live streams that run through websites. So, if you have internet connectivity, you do not need to pay for cable. Go to the specific channel and watch their news on the website.
YouTube is another platform that you can get most of the local channels. Generally, YouTube is a platform for sharing videos. Most local channels have their YouTube channels where they share news segments. Actually, if you want to get some of this news, you will get them uploaded to the specific channels. Also, nowadays, there are live streams where you get real-time news of what is happening as it is on live TV.
Watch Local Channels Using TV Antenna
You can use an antenna to access your local channel without cable. The Antenna will catch the OTA signals. Once you install it, you will catch all the local channels free of charge. This is an advantage if you want to cut the cost. You can visit Antenna Web to see how many channels are available. The number of channels you will get will differ in different localities. For example, those who are near or live-in cities receive more channels than in remote areas.
To determine the type of antenna you will have, get to know the direction of the broadcast station to your house. If they are in a single direction, you can use directional antennas. If they are in several locations, it will be good if you use multi-directional antennas. This will help you capture the signals from all directions.
Antennas can be indoors or outdoors depending on the strength of the signals you receive. Indoor antennas will work better if you are near the broadcasting station. This is an approximation of 20 miles. Some places will not allow outdoor installation. So, you will have to install indoor antennas. Also, by installing the antenna outside even when you are near, you will get the best signal ever. If you live far from the broadcasting station, getting an outdoor antenna is a must. This will help you to get the quality signal for your local channels.
When you install, plug in the coaxial cable to your TV. You will then search the channels by running the first installation. All the available local channels will appear. So, now continue enjoying your local channels without a cable.
- They are reliable reception of weak signals.
- You can assemble and install quickly.
- Some types like Bowtie have broad reception of UHF signals.
- You can point in multiple directions for versatility and precision.
- Do not need a preamplifier in many cases.
- The large ones will need you to have a strong mount.
- A type like Bowie antennae does not receive VHF signals. You need an additional element to receive them.
Watch Local Channels Without an Antenna
The antenna is one of the old ways people used to watch TV. The advantage of watching using an antenna is that it gives you free channels after you install it. However, there are other ways you can watch your local channels without an antenna and cable. Here are some of these ways that you can watch your local channels
Installing Major Network Apps
Major networks have official apps where you can watch and catch your favorite program. You will only need an internet connection to get access. Some of these apps are actually free and you will not pay a subscription fee. These apps are available for Android and Apple users. Some of these applications include CBS All Access, Fox Now, CW, The NBC App, and ABC. You can also get the PBS Video app and you will access your favorite local channel. You can get all these apps both on the App Store and Play Store for both Apple and Android users respectively.
1. Get Sling TV
If you watch TV, chances are high you saw an ad for Sling TV. It is one of the best alternatives for cable. It is developing at high speed to catch up with Hulu and Netflix which are highly known. You can watch TV shows on FOX, NBC, and ABC. There are different packages available for the users who want to use Sling TV. These are as listed below;
- Sling Orange for $305 per month
- Sling Blue for $30 per month.
- Combination of Orange and Blue is $45 per month
Each package has a good number of channels that you can access. Also, they have an option where you can add an extra channel. This allows you to access an extra amount. You will also have access to Cloud DVR, Showtime, Epix, extra sports channels, and more. Sling gives room to those who doubt by providing a 7-day trial on Sling TV. After, you can decide whether to keep it or cancel it. It is free to cancel the service after the trial period elapses.
2. Get Hulu
Hulu is one of the popular streaming platforms in the United States. You can get your favorite local channel for as little as $5 per month. It is cheap compared to other platforms available. Also, apart from the local channels, you can get movie channels among many others.
It gives a chance to watch shows on the prime channels after they air. This is available a day after the live show was on. Note that is has ads but if you do not want them, you can pay $6 per month to get ad-free services. If you want to watch all the programs as they air, you only need to upgrade. This is at a fee of $54.99 per month. The good news is that Hulu has thousands of movies and TV episodes to choose from.
All the subscriptions come with a 30 days trial. It is you to choose after the trial is over if you will continue or terminate. Also, they do not have hidden fees like rental fees. You can cancel their service anytime you wish. Also, there is no cancellation fee as they do not have contracts.
3. Watch on Locast
You can get your local channels on Locast. It is a public company that offers free local channels to Americans. All the services are on the internet which means you need to have internet to access them. All they need from you is verifying your residential location. After that, you can use your internet connection to watch free channels.
Locast asks all its users to donate to them so that they may cover the costs. This is not a must but if you do not donate a minimum of $5 a month, they will keep on requesting your donations.
The availability of Locast services is in over 25 major United States cities. This is about 50% over the country’s coverage. If you want to confirm if their services are available in your area, visit their website.
4. Watch YouTube TV
YouTube Tv is one of the latest additions to the world of films and video streaming. When you have YouTube, you can watch your local channels with no need for cables.
They have incorporated sports, news, entertainment, and many more other features. When you subscribe to YouTube TV, you can access up to 85 local channels. However, this depends on the location that you are in. Additionally, YouTube has a lot of local channels available on the cable. You can get their services at $64.99 per month. Although it is not like Hulu where you can get a free trial for new subscribers, YouTube TV is cheaper compared to some cable services on their subscription.
Watch Local Channels Without Cable Using a Streaming Service
The fact that most households have an internet connection makes streaming services simple. This is the easiest way that you can watch your local channels without cable. Most popular streaming services have packages that you can stream some local channels. Some of these may be free and others you will need to pay for you to access the service. Here are some of the streaming services where you can watch your local channels.
1. Stream live on Fubo TV
You have the opportunity to stream your local channels on Fubo TV. It is the favorite option for many people. Some of the local channels you are likely to get on Fubo TV are CBS, FOX, and NBC. Besides, you have an opportunity to watch over 100+ channels. Also, to the sports fanatics, you can watch up to 30+ channels. All the plans start at $ 59.99 with $64.99 the common package. You will get Cloud DVR which is upgradable.
Fubo TV is accessible on many platforms. Some of these platforms include Amazon Fire, Android TV, and Apple TV. Chromecast, and Chromecast-enabled TVs. Also, you can get Fubo TV on computers, iOS, Roku, Select Sony, and Samsung Smart TVs.
2. Watch on Vidgo
Although you may not watch every local channel on Vidgo, it will offer you ABC and FOX channels. This depends on the location you are in. It will give you extra other channels. It has one of the cheapest live streaming packages costing $40 per month. You can watch it on Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, and mobile devices. It does not contract so you can cancel your service with them whenever you want. Also It does not have a cloud-based DVR watch and It will give you a 7 days trial.
3. YouTube TV
YouTube is one of the biggest brands in the industry. It is a product of Google Inc. It has one of the best Sreaming services that you can get around. The agenda of Google developing the platform was for sharing of videos. Because of this, it features over 70 channels and all local channels. However, this depends on the location you are in.
You can stream YouTube TV from Android, Apple TV, Chromecast, and Chromecast-enabled TVs. Also, you can get it on iOS, Roku, Xbox One, and Smart TVs.
YouTube TV is a contract-free service so you terminate your service with them at any time. In case you cancel a service, you will not pay cancellation fees. When you subscribe to YouTube TV, you are likely to get unlimited space for cloud DVR. Also, you will get a 7 days trial on YouTube TV before you start paying.
4. Hulu with Live TV
Hulu is another great streaming service you can get around. Some of the local channels available on Hulu include FOX, The CW, CBS, ABC, and NBC. It also includes some of the cable channels like ESPN, TNT, USA, and FX. Depending on your location, you can actually receive more than 5 local channels. As mentioned earlier, you can get over 60 channels when you subscribe to Hulu. Also, you will get 50 hours of cloud DVR which you can always upgrade if need there be.
Hulu is available on Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, Amazon Echo Show, Android, Apple TV, and Chromecast. Besides, you will get Hulu on computers, iOS, LG smart TV, Nintendo Switch, Roku, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.
5. Sling TV
AS mentioned above, Sling Tv is one of the trusted ways to stream local channels. It has its services in most parts across the country. You can enjoy FOX and NBC channels when you subscribe to the Sling Blue plan.
Sling Tv is available through Amazon Fire, Android, Apple TV, and Chromecast. Also, you can get it through Chromecast-enabled TV. Besides, you can watch on computers, iOS, Oculus Go, Roku, select LG, and Samsung Smart TVs.
Watch Local Channels Without Cable Using Apps
Many local channels offer their viewers apps to view their favorite shows from. This means that you do not need a TV to watch your local channel but you can watch on your smart-phone or tablet. The apps are both for Apple and Android users. So, here we will discuss some of these apps that you can use to view your favorite local channel.
- CBS All Access : This is an app that gives you access to live TV channels. Also, you can watch movies and shows on demand. As earlier mentioned, it has its services available in 206 markets. So, if you are in one of these markets, you will enjoy its services. It has several local channels that you can watch through the app. When you get this app, you will also enjoy the CBC evening news.
- The ABC App : This is an ABC local channel app. It helps you archive viewing and also live stream viewing. However, in some areas which are the main market trends, you will need to have cable services for you to watch. Some of these areas include Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York City. Besides, you can use satellite to get the ABC services. When you are viewing using the app, it is absolutely free.
- The NBC App : The NBC app offers you free viewing of recent episodes of a certain show. Also, you can get some of the older episodes on your mobile device. When you are live streaming, NBC will need you to have a satellite or cable provider. The app gives you the best experience when you are watching a show that maybe got you away from your TV.
- The Fox App : Fox app allows you to stream most shows the day after they air them. If you use your participating TV provider account, you will catch the live stream. This gives you an upper hand to live stream the show as it is on.
- The CW App : The CW app offers you a chance to stream for free. However, you will only watch the last five recent episodes on each of their shows. They do not provide any option of live streaming even when you have a TV subscription.
It is good to note that these apps are available on both Android and Apple. Also, the apps may not give you every option for watching your favorite local channel shows. This is regardless you have subscribed with cable or not.
Other Options To Watch Local Channels Without Cable
Watch Local Channels on Roku and Amazon prime
Roku is a set-box that acts as a streaming player. Its main purpose is to stream content directly to your TV. You may have a Roku TV instead of a standalone Roku device. “A TV antenna” Roku app reads the signals from the coaxial cable to your TV and back. Al you need is turn on your TV Antenna app. Here, you will get all the channels the antenna can receive. This is similar to Amazon prime
Watch prime time network tv online without cable
This is applicable where you do not have the streaming services we discussed above. This gives you ways to view the local channels. While you do not have local news, it will cover a lot of prime-time networks. You will have free trials before you subscribe to the service. Also, you can terminate the contract anytime you want.
Watch Sports without Cable
The main reason why people do not want to cut the cord is because of watching live sports. The streams service we discussed does have movies, documentaries, TV shows, and more. However, they lack the live programming aspect yet some folks cannot live without sports.
If you are in that category, you will need to subscribe to Paramount Plus, Hulu with Live T, Sling TV, FuboTV, or YouTube TV. You should note that sports Channels adds extra cost to your subscription fee. So you can opt for YouTube TV for football. You will save something from your satellite or cable services.
Which Equipment May Help You To Watch TV Without Cable
You can watch your TV without your cable on various platforms. These are equipment through which you can watch your TV.
- Smart TV: Smart TVs work with most streaming service providers. As long as you have an internet connection, you can stream movies, TV shows, and many other services. So, if you want to watch TV without cable, a smart Tv will help you in streaming.
- Streaming Video player: We have some of the players available for TV streaming. You need to make sure your Tv connects to one of them. One of them is Roku. After you connect with Roku, you can use the Roku app to select the local channels you would like to watch.
- Antenna: There are some antennas like HD antennas which you only need one-time purchase. After this, it will allow you watch free channels from any location across the country. The antennas are cheap and easy to install.
- Smartphone: Smartphones help when you are streaming with apps. The apps are for both Android and Apple platforms. So, you do not need to worry about compatibility. Most local channels have apps that you can watch your favorite show from. These include ABC, NBC, etc.
- Laptop: There are three ways in which you can watch your TV with your laptop. You can either use the apps for the laptops windows, apple, or any OS. Also, you can stream the TV on the online platforms of the channels like websites. Other people may opt to get a tuner and attach it to the laptop.
- DVR: Subscribe to some of the streaming service providers, you will have cloud DVR storage. Hulu gives you 50 hours of storage that you can use for recording your favorite show to watch later. Others like YouTube TV give you unlimited cloud-DVR storage. So, if you do want to watch TV without cable, you can record and watch it later.
- Game Console: Almost all popular game systems can stream TV shows and movies. Some of these include Nintendo Switch. You can connect to and stream your favorite TV shows. Also, you can watch Netflix on such devices. Others include Xbox that also gives you access to TV shows. So, using this game console you can get to watch your TV.
You do not need to have a cable subscription to watch TV. There are a lot of ways that you can watch TV without a cable. If you do not want to use cable, choose one of the above methods and you will enjoy your favorite show. The above-mentioned platforms can give you all the programs that you want. Some of the programs include sports, movies, documentaries, etc. Also, you have several devices that you can watch use to watch your TV without a cable. Such include smart phones, gaming console, etc. So, the choice to cut the cord is in your hands. The article has all the information that you may need to get help.