Like other carriers, Boost Mobile also keeps their phones locked so that the customers stay with them. But people tend to opt for better networks and carriers and avoid expensive ones. That is why they want to switch carriers connect their current with the new carrier. But the locked phones are the obstacle here in switching the operators. Because carriers like Boost Mobile keep the locked phone policy as they own it partially. And your locked phone won’t work with the new carrier until you can unlock it properly. Ultimately people think of giving up the hope for their current phones or stepping up for the transferring process full of hassles.
So, the only way to keep your phone with the new carrier is to unlock it officially or personally whatsoever. If you are using a Boost Mobile, then unlocking is just a step away which requires you to call their customer care to unlock your phone. You can also take the help of a third party to unlock your Boost Mobile phone which charges a fee but the first method is totally free. You can unlock your phone yourself by talking to customer care. The free unlocking process requires some eligibility criteria from the users. If you meet those criteria, you can unlock your phone yourself for free. The article is to emphasizes unlocking the Boost Mobile phone for free so that users can switch to new carriers.
Sub Questions / Contents
- 1 How do I Know if My Phone is Locked?
- 2 Boost Mobile Unlocking Policy
- 3 Ways to Unlock A Boost Mobile Phone Yourself Free
- 4 Can I Use Third Party to Unlock Boost Mobile Phone?
- 5 Is Boost Mobile CDMA or GSM?
- 6 Does Unlocking Your Phone Void the Warranty?
- 7 Can I Use a Boost Mobile Phone with Another Carrier?
How do I Know if My Phone is Locked?
People don’t know whether their phones are locked or unlocked by their carriers. Most of the carriers deliver locked phones to their customers to possess their ownership. Boost Mobile also provides locked phones. However, people get confused about this carrier lock especially when they decide to go for the unlocking process to switch the carrier. So, if you have the Boost Mobile, then be sure that it is delivered to you locked by default. Still, if you are confused about whether your phone is locked or not then you should check the status. If it is locked then you can go for the unlocking process otherwise you can switch to a new carrier if it is unlocked already. Follow the steps below to check if your Boost Phone is locked or unlocked.
- Step 1: Bring out the Boost SIM card from your handset.
- Step 2: Put another SIM card insert the phone. And the SIM card must be from another carrier.
- Step 3: Now check whether it works or not. Or if the SIM is rejected.
It’s pretty simple and easy to check the status this way. If it is locked then it will show “SIM Not Supported” or “SIM Not Valid” or “Invalid SIM”. If so then the new SIM won’t work and if it works then assume your phone is unlocked already. This means you can use another carrier SIM with your current phone. Remember that there are several types of lock and the network carrier lock is the most common type that prevents inserting another carrier SIM.
You can also check through an online service that more accurately can tell you the status of your phone’s carrier lock. But it will cost you charge a fee of around $3. Here you can check if your phone is unlocked without inserting a SIM card inside the phone. Many websites help you to check the lock status using the phone IMEI number. You can browse those sites and select a suitable one and submit your phone’s IMEI number into the required box. As mentioned, they seek fees and you can pay through PayPal after paying the amount you will get the lock status via email.
Boost Mobile Unlocking Policy
There are some circumstances that the Boost mobile assists with unlocking a device. Here Boost Mobile has some straightforward policies that if you follow, will be just some simple steps away to unlocking your Boos Device for another carrier. You can call these policies eligibility requirements. You have to check if you meet those eligibility terms. Boost Mobile never notify the users about the phone unlock eligibility. You have to find out your eligibility on your own. But we are here mentioning the eligibility terms that you can check easily and then proceed with the unlock process. The criteria that allow you to unlock the Boost Mobile are:
- The device should be in operation with Boost Mobile for at least 12 months.
- Before seeking an unlock, make sure that all payments regarding the Boost Mobile are settled within the last 90 days (03 months) of that 12 months activation anniversary.
- The phone should be capable of SIM unlock. Boost Mobile devices are usually eligible for unlocking.
- The device shouldn’t be lost or stolen or deactivated. It should not be flagged as ineligible to unlock anyway.
- Your account with Boost Mobile must be in good standing. There should not be any bad rating with outstanding payments.
- The device must be from Boost as they can unlock their own devices only.
Boost Mobile also has policies for Military personnel who are working inside the country or abroad. Military personnel who are deployed overseas requires the process faster. Boost Mobile has a policy that favors those heroes abroad.
- The device should be international SIM unlock-capable.
- The user should be active in the work of the United States Military. The family members of that respective personnel are also included here.
- The applicant must possess overseas deployment papers.
- The applicant must be a current and authorized Boost Mobile customer.
- The Boost Mobile account should be in good standing.
- Every year a military person with Boost Mobile can unlock up to two devices.
The favorable point is that the military personnel don’t need to meet the requirement of a minimum amount of time of activities with the devices.
Ways to Unlock A Boost Mobile Phone Yourself Free
There are several ways to unlock the Boost Mobile device. If you do it using third parties, then you might have to pay some amount. But here we are mentioning the steps that allow you to unlock your Boost Mobile phone yourself for free. You can take the help of the site named Boost Mobile or Unlockitfree customer agent can help you for free.
Call Boost Customer Service
If you are currently a Boost Mobile customer and meet the unlocking eligibility requirements, then the process is simple. Just call customer services and they should give you a code. Boost Mobile is doing so to help people stay connected 24/7. Boost Mobile customer service number is 833-502-6678 (Business Hours: Mon-Fri 4 am to 8 pm PST and, sat-sun 7 pm PST). Live agents are available, they can help in multiple situations. Give them the required information and then they will give you the unlocking code or the MSL code. Then input the code following the instructions. Your device should be unlocked within 2 or three business days. But if you are on a BoostUP installment plan, then the process shouldn’t take more than a day.
But you have to maintain some precautions during the process to unlock the device smoothly. First, you will have to keep your SIM card active on the device. If it’s not inserted then the unlock request won’t work. And make sure that the phone is turned on with the Boost Mobile or WiFi network. For chat, you just press on the chat icon.
- Step 1 : First, you have to find your Boost Mobile device IMEI number. The IMEI number will be required to submit to the software website to perform the free unlock process. Press *#06# on your device keypad and then tap “Enter”. The display should show the IMEI number and write down the exact number that appears.
- Step 2 : Research to Navigate to the Unlockitfree website. Now, input the accurate model number of your phone and tap “Find” when it asks.
- Step 3 : Now, submit three-basic information: IMEI number, phone model number, and place of origin of your phone. Now, choose The Boost as the cell phone provider and enter “Generate”
- Step 4 : You will see a list of possible unlocking codes. Click one of the appropriate unlock codes you were given. Check if your phone is unlocked by pressing “Enter” and then restarting it. If necessary, enter another code.
Can I Use Third Party to Unlock Boost Mobile Phone?
You can also use a third party to unlock your Boost mobile phone. Using an unlocking third-party company can get your phone working on another network without the hassle of going through your carrier. There is some fee involved that ranges from a couple of dollars up to an average of $60. You can take help from a reputed company, otherwise, you might get into trouble.
Is Boost Mobile CDMA or GSM?
Boost Mobile operates a CDMA-based mobile network with a carrier or accessible model. Boost mobile is a part of Sprint and it primarily uses CDMA technology. As a result, Boost Mobile phones are only compatible with CDMA-based SIM cards such as Verizon, AT&T, US Cellular. Usually, an unlocked Boost Mobile phone is not compatible with GSM networks like AT&T and T-Mobile. So, you have to unlock your phone to use another CDMA-based carrier’s SIM. But currently Boost Mobile network is compatible with T-Mobile’s which might let users switch easily. Boost Mobile now let’s its users know which networks work with it.
Does Unlocking Your Phone Void the Warranty?
Unlocking your phone can void the warranty. Some phones are equipped with a system called Knox Detection that detects irreversible changes. Some phone models can be relocked and save your warranty such as Samsung, HTC, etc.
Can I Use a Boost Mobile Phone with Another Carrier?
Yes. Boost Mobile is compatible with some other carriers. Previously, only Sprint devices were compatible with Boost Mobile. Now, Boost Mobile can adjust with some other carriers, such as Verizon and U.S. Cellular. But you must unlock the device first and choose the preferred carrier that syncs with the device. Since Boost Mobile is a CDMA-based carrier, all of its devices work only with CDMA operators. So, you can use your Boost Mobile with another carrier only when compatible with the CDMA network technology.