Nintendo Switch is one of the popular gaming devices nowadays. If you are a gamer or you walked to a place where there are some, this term should not be new to you. This Switch has hundreds of games available in it. The only challenge is that you need a network that delivers a lag-free connection. Also, it should give you a smooth internet connection. Your normal home Wi-Fi may be unable to do so. So, here is where the Nintendo Switch Ethernet Adapters come into place.
For a stable connection, you will need to use Ethernet LAN to connect directly to the switch. In most cases, you will find that switches do not have ports. This will cause you to start looking for an adapter to help you achieve that. With that said, we have a lot of Nintendo Switch Ethernet Adapters present in the market. So, if you need help on how to choose, this is your article.
We will guide you on the best adapters in the market, features that you should consider when buying. Therefore, here are our best 8 Nintendo Ethernet Switch adapters. Also, we provided you with their supported compatible platforms.
8 Best Nintendo Switch Ethernet Adapters
1. Nintendo Switch Wired Ethernet Internet LAN Adapters By HORI
This is one of the best LAN adapters recommended by Nintendo. It is a brand of HORI. The Nintendo Switch Wired Internet LAN Adapter is durable providing high-speed internet. If you have the Nintendo Switch, you can connect to the router through an Ethernet cable. By this, you will enjoy high-speed internet. Besides, it supports 10, 100, and 1000 ethernet quality. It also offers download speeds of up to 1 Gbps.
Nintendo Switch is for gaming, so if you want to experience the best gaming then get this adapter. It offers a lag-free wired Wi-Fi connection. The materials used in making it are of high quality. This adapter is Nintendo licensed meaning it is the best you can use with the switch. Many people who used it recommend that it improves the signal quality. So if you are looking for that switch that will help you, this is it. It is the most ideal for the Nintendo Switch dock.
- It is reliable.
- It has a fast data connection.
- Connects up to 16 devices to a router.
- It provides a lag-free experience.
- It has 3 status reporting LEDs
- Guaranteed switch compatibility.
- It is expensive.
2. UGREEN Ethernet Adapters USB 2.0
UGREEN Ethernet adapter is pocket-friendly thus among the best. It works with Switch, Windows, Mac, and Linux. The UGREEN adapter has an ASIX AX88772 chipset for stable internet connectivity. It also gas LED indicators that help in keeping the tabs on the link active.
Additionally, it has full-duplex support which has excellent flow control. It also has duplex support with backpressure operation. The purpose of backpressure is to control the flow of data for fast connection.
- It is simple to install.
- Connects up to 16 devices to the router.
- It has an excellent range of compatibility.
- It has a reliable ethernet performance.
- Available in 2 color variations.
- It uses USB 2.0 plug which an old type.
- You cannot use ARM windows.
3. UGREEN Ethernet Adapter USB 3.0
UGREEN Ethernet Adapter USB 3.0 is one of the top-rated adapters in the market with a rating of 4.7/5. It is an upgraded version of plug USB 2.0. It is not exclusive to the Switch gaming platform like the predecessor but it offers support for it. Besides, it supports Windows, Linux, and Mac OS. It is the best in terms of compatibility. This is because it is compatible with 10BASE-T, 100BASE-t, and 1000BASE-T. It doubles as a USB hub with 3 USB 3.0 ports. It also supports a maximum speed of 1000 Mbps. Besides, it has the AX88179 chipset that introduces a fast and steady internet connection. So, this is another great Ethernet adapter.
- It has USB 3.0 connectivity.
- It has a maximum speed of 1000 Mbps.
- It supports several platforms.
- You can use it as a USB 3.0 hub.
- It is easy to install.
- It has a short cable
- It is more expensive than its predecessor.
4. Techkey Ethernet Adapter USB 3.0
Techkey Ethernet Adapter USB 3.0 has a rating of 4.6/5. It is one of the best ethernet adapters that you can use with a Nintendo Switch. It is a 3.0 USB adapter that is compatible with the switch gaming platform. You can use it with computers, laptops, Ultrabook, MacBook, and tablets. You can also connect it to a router, modem, or switch. Besides, it supports Windows, Linux, Mac OS, and new Chrome OS. It has backward compatibility with USB 2.0 and 1.1.
This adapter connects to Wi-Fi in dead zones which is a nice job for those who have problems with Wi-Fi dead zones. You can use it for HD video streaming, large file transfer, and software upgrade downloads. It can support 10, 100, and 1000 Mbps gigabit networks with ease through USB 3.0. This is achievable with speeds that can reach 5 Gbps. It does not work with Wii U, Android, or Windows RT.
- Features 3.0 USB connectivity
- It has speeds up to 1000 Mbps
- It has a great range of compatibility
- Its prices are affordable.
- You can use it in other activities apart from gaming.
- It has a short cable.
- Not compatible with few platforms.
5. SMAYS Ethernet Adapter USB 2.0
SMAYS adapter is one of the affordable ethernet adapters in the market. It supports a maximum bandwidth of 100 Mbps and has a USB 2.0 which means there are limitations as compared to USB 3.0 connectivity. However, it still provides a faster and reliable speed connection. It is very light because it is not packed with a lot of features. It is also not a gigabit adapter.
SWAYS adapter only supports Switch and Wii U. It also supports Windows and Mac OS. It is compatible with 10BASE-T, 100BASE-t, and 1000BASE-T.
- It is lightweight
- Suitable for Wii and Switch.
- It offers a lot of bang for the buck.
- It has a fast-speed internet connection.
- It has a stable internet connection.
- It supports RJ45 cable.
- Does not feature USB 3.0
- Limited speed compared to other adapters.
6. AmazonBasics USB 3.0 Adapter
AmazonBasics USB 3.0 Adapter is another best adapter for the switch. It features USB 3.0 with low energy consumption. It has an RJ45 connector which means you can use it with a wide range of electronic devices. AmazonBasics USB 3.0 Adapter supports the Checksum Offload Engine for better data transmission speed. With a maximum speed of 1000 Mbps, it has fast and efficient performance at a cost-effective price.
The adapter supports 10, 100, and 1000 gigabit ethernet connections. Also, it supports IPV4/IPv6. It is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Chrome OS. However, it does not support Android and Windows RT.
- Supports USB 3.0
- It is compatible with several platforms.
- It has a Checksum Offload Engine for fast data transfer.
- It is cheap.
- It is efficient with a speed of up to 1000 Mbps
- Not compatible with Android and Windows RT.
- Occasional driver installation issues.
7. Plugable USB To Ethernet Adapter, USB 3.0 To Gigabit Ethernet
This is another USB 3.0 adapter. It is compatible with Windows, Chrome OS, and Nintendo Switch. So, if you want to do online gaming or a video conference, this adapter will give you the best experience. It uses ASUS AX88179 which provides 10/100/1000 Mbps of speed to all USB 2.0 and 3.0. One con of this adapter is that it does not support Mac OS and Android.
Most people are looking for a power-efficient adapter and this adapter is one of them. Additionally, it has a Checksum which increases the CPU speed. It is best when you are using it with Nintendo Switch Ethernet Adapters. This is because it provides latency-free online gaming.
- Reliable in terms of data connection.
- It has a Point of Entry for network security.
- It connects up to 16 devices on the router.
- It is relatively affordable.
- Made using high-quality materials.
- Installation takes time
8. USB Ethernet Adapter, CableCreation USB 3.0 To 10/100/1000 Gigabit Wired LAN Network Adapter
It is one of the best adapters in terms of performance as it uses Realtek RTL8153 chip that provides faster connections to your device. One unique feature of this adapter is that you can connect your device to Wi-Fi. This is an advantage, especially where the router cannot reach.
After the first installation, you are sure of fast connections.
You can connect with your Windows 7, XP, Vista, Mac, and Linux devices through an Ethernet cable. However, it does not work with Windows RT and Android devices. It is a simple plug-and-play device with a maximum speed of 1000 Mbps. However, it is compatible with 10 and 100 speeds. More, it has full and half-duplex control systems. This means some ports can both send and receive data.
- It is portable.
- It is affordable.
- It has an excellent performance.
- It has 3 status LEDs
- It has a Point of Entry Filter for network security.
- Can connect up to 16 devices to a router.
- It has an issue with overheating.
What to Consider When Shopping For Nintendo Switch Ethernet Adapters
When you buy the Ethernet adapter from a certain company, they are more of the same. However, every company will differ in the quality of their products and also the features. All the features revolve around the center of connection speed. So, down here are a couple of some features to check.
Ethernet Port Type
Ethernet ports may look similar but actually, they are not. Most of the adapters use an RJ45 port simply known as a 45. This is the most common type of port you will find with many adapters in the market. So, if you have an adapter with this port, chances are high that it will work the cable that you have.
However, you need to confirm that the cables that you have are compatible with the adapters that you bought. We have CAT5, Cat 6 among many other types of ports. So, it is recommendable of you to confirm the ethernet port type.
Number of Ports
Another factor that you should consider is the number of ports. Most Ethernet adapters have a minimum of two ports. These are USB ports and ethernet ports. However, we have other brands that have more than one port. This may be for USB and other types of connection. These ports are very helpful when you have multiple devices that you wish to connect. Others can help you when you are gaming, sharing files, and other functions.
However, you don’t need to have multiple ports with Nintendo switch although it may be a nice feature.
When buying a Switch ethernet adapter, consider the compatibility of multiple devices. By this, you will get an adapter worth your money. For instance, you can buy an adapter that is compatible with a desktop computer or a laptop. Also, getting an adapter compatible with several OS may be good for you. With Nintendo, there are officially licensed device-specific ethernet adapters. Because they are device-specific, they do not offer you devise versatility.
So, if you want to use different devices, you may need to get multiple different types of adapters.
Most Ethernet adapters available are not expensive as you can find some under $30. So, if you want to buy an adapter, prepare a budget within $15 to $30. Due to the innovations, there are newer brands that may be a bit expensive. However, the most important is to look at the speed and the compatibility. This will help to determine the price as per the features of the adapter.
Although this may not be on top in terms of priority, it may help you in cutting the cost. Some adapters are more energy-efficient than others. This means that by buying them, you will save more power. Apart from reducing cost, it will help in environmental conservation. This feature is helpful as it will limit the amount of data flow even when the adapter is not in use.
Some adapters can offload data. For example, such adapters may have a Checksum Offload Engine (CEO) support. This feature helps in allowing efficient data transport. This is important because it helps in freeing up the bandwidth. It is beneficial especially when you have multiple people accessing the connection simultaneously. Besides, it increases the data flow speed which gives you a good gaming experience.
It is important to know the process of installation associated with the adapter. This is because these processes can differ with different adapters. Also, it will depend on the device you are integrating with. It is good if you familiarize yourself with all the processes of integrating a LAN adapter. In this case with your Nintendo Switch. So, look at the ease of installation for the adapter you are buying.
You need an understanding of other miscellaneous features mentioned in the descriptions. This will help you to understand the product features well. Below are some of these features;
- Wake-on-LAN: You can turn on the device remotely using this feature. This means that you do not need to be physically available to turn it on, but you can use another device. This is also known as a remote wake-up. So, you can configure the Nintendo switch so that you can turn it on remotely.
- Suspend mode: This allows you to put the device in sleep mode. This is one feature that will help in power conservation. Also, it will lower the flow of data and power between the devices.
- Full and half-duplex: A half-duplex is a port that only receives or sends data. On the other side, a full-duplex is a port that does both.
- Crossover detection: Ethernet crossover is the ability to connect two devices at once. There are instances where the Ethernet adapter will have to cross over detection ability that lets you do such.
- Auto-correction: This feature and crossover relate in a simple manner. Ethernet adapters that have one should have the other. This feature corrects the connection when the hub and switches are wrongly wired. It prevents getting “Straight through” cable. This is possible because the adapter can fix the problem. You can list this as auto-MDI/MDIX. This is Medium Department Interface or Medium Dependent Interface with Crossover.
How to Connect a Switch to an Ethernet Port
These are the step that you should follow to connect your switch to the port. It is general guidelines though narrowed to the Nintendo Switch. Note that, you should make sure that the console is in TV mode. This will enable you to connect online using a wired connection.
- Step 1: First, you need to connect the Nintendo Switch to a LAN through an Ethernet adapter. You can use Nintendo Switch Wired Internet LAN Adapter by HORI. Also, you can use UGREEN 2.0 USB Ethernet Adapter to make the connection. Insert the LAN cable to the terminal of the adapter. After, plug it with the USB port of the adapter to the dock of the Nintendo switch.
- Step 2: Connect the LAN cable to the router or gateway.
- Step 3: After connecting the LAN, place the Nintendo Switch into the Nintendo Switch dock.
- Step 4: Select System Settings on the Nintendo Switch console when it is on. This is available in the HOME Menu screen of the console.
- Step 5: Click on the Internet and go to the Internet settings option. When on this console, the Switch searches for the nearby Wi-Fi connection automatically.
- Step 6: Select the Wired Connection option.
- Step 7: Click on the option Connect to the Internet via Wired Connection.
- Step 8: The Nintendo Switch will connect to the internet through a wired connection. Before, it will test the internet connection then when complete, you will need to click the OK button. With this, you will be free to operate smoothly.
Why is My Nintendo Switch Ethernet Adapters Sometimes Not Working?
You may be having Wi-Fi that is working but the Ethernet adapter is not working. There may be several reasons as to why this is not working;
First, if you want to use a wired connection on the Nintendo Switch, the Switch table should be inside the base station. If the tablet is not inside the base station, the switch is unable to access the wired connection.
Also, there will be no wireless connection between the tablet and the base station. Also, when docked in the base station, there is no Wi-Fi module inside the base station. It is only the switch tablet that connects to the Wi-Fi direct.
Process To Fix My Ethernet Not Working
There are some simple steps that you can follow to resolve your Ethernet when it is not working. So follow these steps;
- Open the lid on the back of the base station and unplug the power adapter cable. You should make sure that the Ethernet cable connects to your router.
- Plug your Ethernet cable into your USB-to-Ethernet adapter.
- Plug the USB to Ethernet adapter into the base station.
- After that, re-plug the power adapter cable to the base station. Make sure it is back to its original state.
- Put the Switch tablet into the base station then turn on your TV.
- Go to Settings, then Internet, and test the connection. If the information says Wired Connection, then you have successfully solved the problem. You should expect the connection speed display shortly. If it was not a success, repeat the process and first confirm if you connect all the cables.
FAQs – Frequently Ask Questions
Can you use any of the Ethernet adapters for the switch?
Yes, you can use an Ethernet adapter for the switch. However, some switches like the Nintendo switch have specific adapters that it recommends. This is the best adapter that works well with the switch to give the user the best experience.
How is a wired connection better than a wireless connection?
Wired connection is generally fast compared to wireless. This is because there is no data transfer interference from unnecessary traffic. Also, you will learn that the two devices are directly connected.
How to use a LAN adapter With a Switch?
If you want to use a LAN adapter with a switch, insert the LAN into a USB port of the switch dock. After, connect one end to the Ethernet cable to a LAN adapter and the other to the network port of the router. You can also connect it to your modem. When the connection is complete, the switch can access the internet.
Does Nintendo switch support gigabit Ethernet?
Nintendo Switch supports gigabit Ethernet. However, some adapters do not support that and that means that you can use them at lower speeds.
What is the Nintendo switch LAN adapter?
Nintendo Switch LAN adapter is a device that enables the Switch to connect to the internet. This is either from the router or modem. This type of Switch needs you to have reliable internet access for you to have a good gaming experience. However, the kind of Wi-Fi cannot give you high-speed internet. This will require you to have an adapter to help you connect directly to the router or gateway.
Choosing a product from many choices can be a difficult task. This is the same way when it comes to choosing adapters from many available in the market. You need to do thorough research and follow the buying guides to get the best LAN adapter. This depends on the switch requirements that you have.
So, after reading the reviews, at least you have a deeper understanding of adapters and now you know which adapter you should go for. Also, the decision is yours to make, the breakdown is well done.