As communication spectrum continues evolving, people are getting better options for doing things. Unlike in the past, today’s information is a click of a button away. Tv broadcasts are the leading disseminators of information and on a large scale. The use of Satellites as the central point of signals has been a major boost. It has enabled even people living in the remotest areas to access TV and internet services with ease. The new geostationary satellites have proper bands that provide very high speeds.
DIRECTV, launched in 1994, is a satellite service provider based in California. It offers direct broadcasts that send digital satellite television and audios to households. DIRECTV satellite services are in the United States, Latin America, and the Caribbean. It’s one of the leading competitors’ service providers and with incredible features.
Sub Questions / Contents
- 1 How Does Satellite Internet Work?
- 2 Does DIRECTV Have Internet?
- 3 Internet With DIRECTV Satellite Packages
- 4 DIRECTV vs. Verizon Fios
- 5 FAQs
- 5.1 Is satellite internet right for you?
- 5.2 Is fiber-optic internet better than Satellite for Tv service?
- 5.3 Who has the best satellite internet services?
- 5.4 Can I bundle DIRECTV with an internet plan?
- 5.5 What is the average cost of satellite internet?
- 5.6 How fast is the satellite internet?
- 5.7 Can you stream video and audio on satellite internet?
- 5.8 Final Recap
How Does Satellite Internet Work?
Satellite internet uses a satellite to get internet signals from the service provider. The service provider sends a fiber internet signal to the satellite in space. The satellite dish installed in your home will capture the internet signal.
There is a modem connected to the dish that connects to your home computer. The set also should include a router that distributes the modem signal in the entire house. You can access the internet signal as Wi-Fi or using a cable. The service provider gets the same signal from your dish through the same process. Once the end-to-end process is complete, you can access internet service.
Does DIRECTV Have Internet?
DIRECTV is owned by AT&T, which offers bundled services for internet access. If you live in an area covered by AT&T internet, you can bundle your DirecTV satellite & internet and save several bucks. DIRECTV before worked with several internet providers.
Currently, it has remained with AT&T as the official internet provider. In most cases, different companies offer internet and TV services. So, this makes it difficult to find one provider with both TV and satellite services.
Internet With DIRECTV Satellite Packages
Internet with DIRECTV Satellite has various packages at different costs. These include;
- AT&T internet +DIRECTV Satellite bundles
- DIRECTV + HughesNet Bundle
- DIRECTV Satellite Packages with CenturyLink
- ViaSat Internet + DIRECTV Satellite Bundle.
1. AT&T Internet + DIRECTV bundles
AT&T Internet + DIRECTV bundles are further put into three packages.
Entertainment Package + Internet: This package costs $99.99 per month. The cost is inclusive of internet equipment fees and taxes. The following are major services and benefits you will enjoy with this package;
- A total of 160+ channels, with 60 of these as HD. One of its major benefits is that you can watch the NBA league pass as long as you want.
- HBO® SHOWTIME®, STARZ®, Cinemax®, and EPIX® without extra costs for 3 months. The service auto-renews itself automatically after three months. You can contact the company to change it or to cancel the service.
Choice Package + Internet: The Choice + Internet package goes at $104.99 for 12 months. The price is inclusive of taxes, RSN fee, and internet equipment fee. The other benefits include;
- It has a total of 185+ with 85 of them as HD. The channels are inclusive of regional sports networks. Too, you get an NBA league pass.
- It has an NFL Sunday ticket. This allows you to enjoy out of market games only.
- It has 12 months of HBO Max, plus 3 months of Cinemax®, SHOWTIME®, STARZ®, and EPX®. The HBO Max auto-renews after 12 months and others after 3 months. The auto-renewal services run automatically unless you change or cancel.
Ultimate Package + Internet: It costs $119.99 per month for 12 months. The cost is inclusive of taxes, RSN fee, and internet equipment fee. Below are the services and benefits associated with this package;
- It has 250+ channels. 115+ channels of these are in HD. It includes all the regional sports networks and an NBA league pass.
- It has an NFL Sunday ticket. You can enjoy out of market games only.
- It has 12 months of HBO Max, plus 3 months of Cinemax®, SHOWTIME®, STARZ®, and EPX®. The HBO Max auto-renews after 12 months and the other services after 3 months. The auto-renewal services run automatically unless you change or cancel.
2. DIRECTV + HughesNet Bundle
HughesNet provides services to all parts of the nation. Likewise, DIRECTV has its service all over the nation. This is an advantage because you can bundle TV and internet from anywhere. DIRECTV has high-quality TV services while HughesNet has available and reliable satellite internet. You can order the two services by calling customer care through 1-833-938-1440. It goes at only $49.99 per month.
HughesNet Gen5 is the latest technology generation. It boasts of fast speed internet and more data. Moreover, it has in-built Wi-Fi capability. If you pick it, you’ll enjoy all the following services;
- Speed of up to 25 Mbps.
- 10 GB data allowance.
- 50 GB free data for the off-peak hours that is from 2 a.m. to 8 a.m.
- No fees for going over data limits.
- It has built-in Wi-Fi.
3. DIRECTV Packages with CenturyLink
The DIRECTV packages through CenturyLink start with 160+ channels. The service also avails several different packages meaning you can choose the best. That guarantees a higher level of satisfaction. These include;
- DIRECTV Choice All-Included + CenturyLink Internet: The package costs $118.99 per month for 12 months. The price is inclusive of taxes and the RSN fee. The price includes also DIRECTV Choice at $69.99 per month, and CenturyLink at $49 per month. The Directive Choice goes higher in the second year. The other benefits include high internet speed up to 100Mbps and more than 185 channels.
- DIRECTV Ultimate All-Included + CenturyLink internet: This package costs $128.99 per month for 12 months. The price is inclusive of taxes and the RSN fee. Also, DIRECTV Ultimate at $84.99 per month, and CenturyLink at $49 per month are inclusive. The Directive Choice goes higher in the second year. With this package, you get to enjoy more than 250 channels and high internet speed up to 100Mbps.
- DIRECTVPremier All-Includes + CenturyLink Internet: This package costs $178.99 per month for 12 months. The price is inclusive of taxes and the RSN fee. You also get DIRECTV Premier at $134.99 per month and CenturyLink at $49 per month. The Directive Choice goes higher in the second year. You are able to access more than 330 channels and high internet speed up to 100Mbps.
4. ViaSat Internet + DIRECTV Bundle
ViaSat satellite technology allows you to have fast and reliable internet. The use of satellite technology means that their services are available in both rural and urban areas. If you want a more flexible and affordable plan, please check them out. Their high-speed internet and clear television endear them to many. When you bundle DIRECTV with ViaSat internet, you will have access to your favorite shows and sports. DIRECTV has multiple incredible TV services, same with ViaSat internet’s options.
ViaSat Internet + DIRECTV allows you to view all the programs and get internet access through the same mini dish. You don’t need any outdoor equipment to get connected.
Below are the available ViaSat Internet + DIRECTV Bundle packages;
The Gold 12 package which has;
- Unlimited bronze 12, which is $70 per month.
- Silver 12, which costs $120 per month(Unlimited).
- Unlimited Gold 12, which goes at $150 per month.
All the packages have unlimited data, up to 12 Mbps download speed. You can also video stream at small screen quality at 480p and HD at 480p and 720p. All have built-in Wi-Fi. The other packages include Gold 30, Gold 50, platinum, and liberty.
DIRECTV vs. Verizon Fios
The decision to change your Tv service provider isn’t an easy one. It is even trickier where you have two or more competing companies. But you are lucky if your dilemma is on these two providers. We present you with elaborate unbiased comparisons between DIRECTV and Verizon Fios. Then based on them, you can make your informed decision. The comparisons are on various grounds including; pricing, coverage, features among others.
Coverage: DIRECTV offers satellite services. Thus, it’s basically available in all 50 states. All you need is a clear view and permission to erect a Tv satellite dish on your house. On the other hand, things are a bit different with Fios. They use a fiber optic cable, which is currently available in only 8 states. Thus, you need to consult their customer care to inquire before opting for their services. Despite the small number of states they cover, their signals are more reliable. The reason is that they are not affected by obstructions and weather changes.
Cost: When comparing the cost of DIRECTV and Fios, we consider three things. One is the Tv services, Equipment cost and extra fees. Between the two, Fios has the cheapest Tv charges. However, their equipment like Tv Boxes and DVR are more expensive than for DIRECTV. Their differences based on additional costs are barely minimal. For instance, you’ll encounter almost similar charges like installation cost, activation fees etc.
Channels: Fios appears to have better channel options than DIRECTV. Their channels range from 60 to 425. One of their most important features is the Fios Tv Test Drive. It gives your best Tv package based on your 60 days viewing pattern.
If you are a football fan, you may want to look at DIRECTV. They have the best game channels that broadcast live matches through special packages. Therefore, your decision should be based on your watch demand. Overall, Fios offers more on-demand titles compared to DIRECTV.
Features: Both DIRECTV and Fios have special features besides their main services. For example, they both have mobile streaming apps, 4K capabilities, and Alexa control. Fios appears to be taking more ground when it comes to pumping more technology features. Some of the best features are access to Netflix, voice-activated remote, and Wi-Fi.
Customer care: Both Fios and DIRECTV have invested a lot in customer satisfaction. They have automated customer attendants and physical reps. So, you can get assistance any time you want. Most customers, although seem to favor Fios more than DIRECTV. According to the latest customer satisfaction study, Fios ranked the second best. In that list, DIRECTV appeared a distant fourth.
Internet connectivity: You can cut off the separate internet cost by bunding it to the TV package. Both service providers offer additional internet connectivity, although with different infrastructure. Between the two, Fios has the fastest and most reliable internet. They use modern fiber optic cables, unlike their competitors, who use old infrastructure.
Is satellite internet right for you?
Satellite may be a good option if you live in areas without other internet services. Satellite internet is though faster than dial-up. So, when you have dialup, using satellite will be an upgrade for you. You do not need a sim card to access satellite internet services. However, it has some drawbacks like not being compatible with the VPN. If you have another option, satellite internet is not the best option. First of all, it can get very expensive yet their services are not reliable. Overall, satellite internet cons outweigh the pros.
Is fiber-optic internet better than Satellite for Tv service?
Yes. Fiber optic has reliable and high-speed internet. You can also bundle it with the existing TV package. If you live in places away from larger cities, the satellite is the best option. This is due to fiber-optic service not being in all states despite being the best. The fiber has high internet speeds due to high transfer speeds. The only major drawback is because it’s not available in all states.
Who has the best satellite internet services?
You should compare the service providers based on the speed, availability, and cost. HughesNet offers the best value on satellite internet compared with ViaSat. This is because they give the highest speed at the lowest price. You cannot get such a cheaper package in ViaSat. Their download speed on their package is 12 Mbps, which is below the broadband standard of FCC.
Can I bundle DIRECTV with an internet plan?
Yes. DIRECTV does not offer satellite internet, but you can bundle with the AT&T internet service provider. It is an advantage to you if you live in an area that has AT&T internet coverage.
What is the average cost of satellite internet?
Satellite internet is relatively expensive when you compare with cable or fiber. The average cost of satellite internet is $100 per month. This is actually double compared to the fiber’s $50 bill per month.
How fast is the satellite internet?
Satellite speed tops at 150 Mbps. However, satellites’ speeds are quite unstable because. Obstacles and climate change are some of the top factors that affect satellites. Although, some satellite internet plans can offer speed as fast as the cable in some areas. Cable internet speed can go as high as 1000 Mbps. So, when making your decision, consider your location and needs.
Can you stream video and audio on satellite internet?
Yes, streaming requires an internet speed of 3 Mbps to 4 Mbps. Satellite internets is the same as any other internet type. The lowest satellite internet plan starts at 12 Mbps. So, using the satellite internet will be the same as any other internet. Satellite internet has several limitations. These include higher latency, lower data, and low speed.
The choice of your TV or internet service provider is an entirely personal decision. You may be living in the same region or state and prefer completely different plans. There are certain commonalities that everyone must put into consideration before deciding. Survey and ensure that the provider you are considering is available in your state. You should also think of your preferred channels and the available packages. When you combine all these factors, you’ll be able to get yourself a good and reliable deal.