A smartwatch needs a SIM card to access the cellular network for messaging, calling, and internet access, just like a regular smartphone. However, while older smartwatches required pairing with a smartphone to become fully functional, modern smartwatches can now work with a SIM card without being paired to a smartphone. This means you can leave your phone behind and use your smartwatch as a standalone device.
Smartwatches that operate with SIM cards are known as standalone watches. All you need to do is insert your SIM card into the smartwatch, and you’re good to go. This article will discuss the different types of SIM cards that work with smartwatches and everything else you need to know about them.
Can Smartwatches be Used Without a Phone?
It is now possible to use modern smartwatches without a phone. This is due to the fact that they allow for the insertion of a SIM card, which allows users to make phone calls, send text messages, and even browse the internet, just as they would with their phones. In addition, these smartwatches can now access Wi-Fi, which allows users to access the internet using a public network. The convenience that comes with these smartwatches is unparalleled.
6 Best Carriers SIM Card For Smartwatch
When seeking a SIM card for your smartwatch, it is likely that you will encounter different SIM cards from various carriers. These cards also have various features. If you are a novice, you may be overwhelmed and even make an incorrect decision. The good news is that we have outlined some of the best SIM cards to consider for your smartwatch. Some of the best SIM cards to invest in include:
1. GSM SIM Unlimited Text + 500 Minutes & 500 MB Data 30 Day Service
The SIM card provides 500 minutes of talk time, unlimited text messages, and 500 MB of 4G LTE data for 30 days. This ensures that you will be connected for an extended period of time.
In addition to these features, the SIM card allows you to keep your existing phone number or obtain a new one at no additional cost. The SIM card can be triple cut to fit any device, unlike other SIM cards. It can be used as a standard-sized SIM, a micro-sized SIM, or a nano-sized SIM.
No credit check is required to obtain this card. There are no activation fees or contracts involved. However, it is important to note that the SIM card can only be used with devices within the United States.
- Includes unlimited texts, 500 minutes, and 500 MB of data
- Allows you to keep your existing phone number
- Triple-cut SIM card
- No contract
- No activation fee
- Only available in the United States
2. T-Mobile Prepaid Complete SIM Starter Kit
Are you seeking a SIM card for your unlocked smartwatch? The above-mentioned SIM card is the ideal choice for you. Not only does it meet all of your needs, but the SIM kit also allows you to select the plan that best suits your budget so that you can take advantage of T-Mobile’s Nationwide 4G LTE network.
The SIM card is a nano-SIM that can be conveniently inserted into your smartwatch, and you will be ready to go. It is compatible with any T-Mobile smartwatch or other compatible GSM device, so you can be certain that you will benefit from a variety of features. With T-Mobile, you can rest assured that there are no annual contracts, credit checks, or other inconveniences. It is a convenient choice for your smartwatch or smartphone.
- No annual contracts
- No credit checks
- Complete SIM kit allows you to select the plan you please
- Ready-to-use nano SIM card
- Only works with unlocked devices.
3. $5 SIM Card Preloaded with 1st Month Service No Contract
The plan comes with a total of 250 units. Each of these units can be used in any combination, whether for data, text, or talk. This means that you can enjoy 250 minutes, 250 MB of 4G LTE data, or 250 texts for 30 days.
Since there is no contract or credit check involved, you will enjoy a great deal of convenience. You will also not be charged an activation fee. Unlike other SIM cards, you can triple cut this SIM card so that it fits into any device.
You can use it as a standard-sized SIM, micro-sized SIM, or even a Nano-sized SIM card. In addition, you can choose to keep your existing phone number or get a new one at no additional cost. However, it is important to note that this SIM card can only be used with devices within the United States.
- Plan comes with 250 units that can be used individually or in combination
- No contract
- No credit check
- Triple-cut SIM card
- Option to keep existing phone number
- Service only available in the United States
4. h2o Smart SIM Starter Kit 3-in-1 GSM SIM Card
The SIM card is triple cut into standard, micro, and nano sizes, which allows it to fit a wide range of devices. After inserting it into your device and powering it on, the SIM card will automatically configure your h2o data settings.
The SIM card is also 4G enabled, which means that you will experience fast internet speeds when using it in your smartwatch. Additionally, since there is no contract involved, you will have more freedom and convenience. Data plans start at just $1 per month, or you can choose to pay as you go (PAYG) with relatively low rates.
When using the PAYG option, texts, calls, and data will be charged based on usage. Other factors that will affect the charges include your roll over balance, international talk and text to 50+ countries, and the 90-day expiration date.
For monthly plans, you will have the option to choose from unlimited plans such as 4G LTE data, unlimited texts, and unlimited talk. Unlike other SIM cards, you will also have the option to enjoy unlimited international talk to 50+ countries and more. Finally, you will receive a 10% auto-recharge discount when you sign up for automatic payments.
- The SIM card is triple cut
- It is 4G enabled
- Unlimited data, text, and talk nationwide
- 10% auto recharge discount when you sign up for automatic payments
- PAYG plans can be expensive
5. Speed Talk Mobile Complete Multi-Purpose Triple Cut SIM Card Starter Kit – No Contract
The SIM card mentioned above is compatible with unlocked GSM devices. This implies that if your smartwatch is unlocked, you will be able to use this SIM card in it. Additionally, you will be able to activate the SIM card with any of Speed Talk’s carrier plans. The good news is that the activation process is very simple.
You will also be able to retain your existing phone number or acquire a new one if you desire. This SIM card is triple cut, which means that you can use it as a standard, micro, or better yet a nano card and use it on any of your devices. However, this SIM card can only function optimally if you are a resident of the United States.
- Easy activation process
- Triple-cut SIM card
- No contract
- No credit check
- Can be used on a number of unlocked GSM devices
- Only available in the United States.
6. $5 Smart Watch SIM Card for 4G LTE GSM Smartwatches and Wearables – 30 Day Service
The SIM card comes with a plan that includes 50 minutes and 100 SMS. Additionally, it provides 100MB of data for a period of 30 days. The SIM card is 4G enabled, so you can be confident that you will have access to fast internet speeds.
When activating this SIM card, you will not be charged any activation fees. Furthermore, there is no need to sign a contract or undergo a credit check. Once you have activated the SIM card, your US phone number will be automatically generated.
The SIM card is triple cut, which means that you can use it as a standard, micro, or nano SIM on any of your devices. Finally, the SIM card will only function optimally if you are a resident of the United States. Roaming is not supported when using this SIM card.
- Plan includes 50 minutes, 100 SMS, and 100MB for 30 days
- No activation fee
- No contract
- No credit check
- Triple-cut SIM card
- Service is limited to residents of the United States
- Roaming is not supported
Key Considerations Before Buying A SIM Card For Smartwatch
Have you recently purchased a smartwatch that supports a SIM card? The next step is to locate a SIM card to insert into the smartwatch. After all, you require connectivity to the internet and the ability to make calls using the smartwatch. Because these SIM cards have various features, it is critical to be aware of the various features to look for when looking for a SIM card for your smartwatch. These features include:
1. Check the carrier that offers cellular services
When purchasing a SIM card for your smartwatch, it is imperative to consider the cellular service provider. From Verizon to T-Mobile, there are a variety of providers to choose from. However, it is important to note that all major mobile carriers in the United States, such as Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile, typically offer a SIM-only plan that is compatible with unlocked smartwatches.
Therefore, it is necessary to verify whether the smartwatch is locked to a specific carrier. After that, you can make an informed decision. Ideally, you should look for a Nano-SIM CARD that is compatible with all devices. This means that you can use them on any device as long as it is unlocked.
Most importantly, you should choose a wireless plan that is suitable for you. From being affordable to being available in terms of network connectivity, there are a number of factors to consider when choosing a carrier for your SIM card.
2. Is the SIM card compatible with the smartwatch?
It is advisable to search for a SIM card that is compatible with your smartwatch. In most cases, nano-SIM is the most preferred SIM card for smartwatches. If you purchase a nano-SIM, it should work properly if you have enough data.
As mentioned above, some smartwatches are typically locked to specific carriers. If it is locked to a particular carrier, you must use a SIM card belonging to that carrier. However, the good news is that your locked smartwatch can be unlocked.
If you want to unlock the smartwatch, you can request the carrier involved to unlock it for you. Alternatively, you can unlock it using a third party. In this case, you must purchase a code that is not necessarily endorsed by the manufacturer and then use it at your own risk.
Some third parties that can help you get started include Doctor SIM, UnlockBase, and CellUnlocker. If this does not work well for you, consider purchasing unlock codes for your smartwatch from eBay.
There are times when a user may consider replacing their smartphone with a smartwatch. In this case, the smartwatch will be used for a variety of tasks, including streaming music online and uploading videos. For these activities to be possible, the smartwatch will require a sufficient amount of data.
Ideally, the user should consider purchasing 10 GB of data for their line. However, if the user does not use the internet heavily, they may consider purchasing 6 GB of data. If unlimited data is desired, there are SIM card plans that can accommodate this need. Furthermore, if the user does not want to commit to a contract, there are plenty of pay-as-you-go SIM cards available.
4. Is the SIM card 4G enabled?
There are a variety of SIM cards available, some of which are 3G-enabled, while others are 4G-enabled. If you are looking for a SIM card that will allow you to connect to the Internet at high speeds, you should choose a 4G-enabled SIM card. 4G connectivity allows you to stream videos and upload files quickly and easily, and it generally provides a more seamless Internet browsing experience.
5. SIM card plans
It is important to note that SIM cards are available in two plans: contract and pay-as-you-go (PAYG). A contract SIM card typically offers a better deal on data, but you are tied into a contract for at least 12 months. A PAYG SIM card is ideal if you do not want to be tied into a contract, but they can be more expensive overall.
To summarize, some of the SIM cards that are compatible with most smartwatches include:
- AT&T Compatible Nano SIM card
- T-Mobile 3-in-1 SIM card starter kit
- Verizon 4G SIM
In addition to these SIM cards, you can also consider removing your smartphone’s SIM card and inserting it into your smartwatch. This will allow you to access data on your smartwatch immediately.
How To Activate SIM Card For A Smartwatch
Upon inserting the SIM card into your smartwatch, it is necessary to activate it to make calls and browse the internet. The following are the steps involved:
- Download an app compatible with your smartwatch: To begin, download the app associated with your smartwatch onto your mobile device. Next, install the app to link your smartphone with your smartwatch. Ensure that the app is compatible with your phone’s operating system when downloading it. You can search for the app on the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store and download it after confirming that it is compatible with your phone’s operating system.
- Contact the mobile carrier provider and request a new eSIM link: To activate the SIM card on your smartwatch, you must first contact the mobile carrier provider. Different SIM cards belong to different carriers. As a result, you must contact the carrier’s customer support team and request a new eSIM link since you know the carrier from which you purchased your SIM card. Copy and paste the URL you receive on your smartphone after doing so.
- Fill out the SIM card details and enter the 6 OTP digits: Once the browser opens, you must enter the details of the SIM card. After that, accept the terms and conditions and proceed to the next page, where you must enter the 6 OTP digits that will be sent to your phone. You may proceed once you have entered these digits.
- Restart your smartwatch and complete the process: When activating the SIM card on your smartwatch, make sure your smartphone is fully charged. This will prevent the process from being interrupted.
Best SIM Card Plans For Smartwatch
There are many options to consider when it comes to SIM card plans. Some cellular service providers offer plans that come with a contract, while others allow you to pay as you go. All of the leading US mobile carriers typically offer SIM-only plans and family plans. If you do not want to commit to an annual contract, you can consider PAYG (pay-as-you-go) plans. Here are some of the different carriers that you can consider when looking for a SIM card for your smartwatch:
- AT&T: Fortunately, the AT&T compatible Nano SIM card is now compatible with an increasing number of smartwatches. The carrier also offers a variety of plans, depending on your data usage and whether you need multiple lines. For example, the data-only plans start at $14.99 for 250 MB, or $10 per 1GB for the 3GB and 5GB plans. Additionally, AT&T offers prepaid options that typically expire after 30 days.
- SpeedTalk Mobile: In addition to AT&T, Speed Talk is a leading provider of cellular technology. This carrier offers a variety of flexible wireless plans that are tailored to meet your needs. For data plans, you will need to pay $5 to enjoy 250 MB. Alternatively, you can pay $7.50 and receive 375 MB per month. Other data plans include $10 for 500 MB per month. You can choose the data plan that best suits your budget. All of these plans are compatible with all GSM and 4G LTE devices.
- T-Mobile: By selecting this carrier, you can be assured that you will receive an unlimited amount of text, talk, and data, with a download speed of up to 512Kbps, all for a monthly fee of $10. Additionally, if you already have a smartphone that uses this carrier, you may consider T-Mobile Digits, which allows you to use the same phone number on a smartwatch. In this instance, you can expect to pay $10 per month to use this service.
- Sprint: In addition to the three carriers mentioned above, Sprint is another top carrier to consider while living in the United States. Its 4G coverage ensures that you will receive fast internet speeds. If you are already a customer of this carrier, you can add a smartwatch with unlimited talk, data, and text for an additional $15 per month. However, this price can be reduced to $10 per month if you enroll in AutoPay.
- Verizon: This carrier offers four unlimited plans with varying benefits. Customers may save $10 per month on each line of any unlimited plan by opting for automatic payments, provided they have a debit card or checking account. The plans are as follows:
- Start Unlimited: This plan costs $80 per month and includes standard-definition video streaming. It does not include a hotspot.
- Play More Unlimited: This plan costs $90 per month and includes 15GB of high-speed data.
- Do More Unlimited: This plan also costs $90 per month and includes 15GB of high-speed data, as well as a 50% discount on an unlimited plan for all of your devices.
- Get More Unlimited: This plan costs $100 per month and includes 30GB of high-speed data.
Customers can now add their smartwatch to a Verizon unlimited plan. Number Share allows customers to make calls on up to five devices from anywhere, without having to carry their phone. To do this, customers must sign up for the $5 per month unlimited plan and then choose how much data they need.
Best SIM Card Supported Smartwatches
Want to get a smartwatch? There are many models to choose from. They all have different features that can be both exciting and confusing. To make things easier, here are some of the best SIM card supported smartwatches that will give you the bang for your buck.
1. [Speedtalk SIM Included] Kids Phone Smart Watch
It is known that children also enjoy smartwatches. The above is a reliable device that we can suggest for your child. It is worth noting that the smartwatch includes a GPS tracker, which will allow you to monitor your child’s location at any given moment. Additionally, the watch is waterproof, which means that it will not be damaged if your child submerges it in water or gets it wet from rain.
It also has a touch screen camera and SOS game. Finally, it includes an anti-lost feature and is an excellent present to give your child during the holidays. Your child may readily use this watch during outdoor activities or even while participating in a sport.
- Includes a GPS tracker feature
- The smartwatch is waterproof
- Touchscreen camera
- Ideal as a birthday present for your child
- Anti-lost feature
- Only suitable for children
2. Andmei Smartwatch
To begin with, this smartwatch permits the insertion of a SIM card of any carrier. It also comes furnished with a pedometer that allows the tracking of multiple metrics, such as steps taken and calories burned. Additionally, this smartwatch allows the tracking of sleep patterns, which can be used to develop healthier sleep habits.
Since it is Bluetooth enabled, users are able to connect to their smartphone and make or receive calls. Users are also able to synchronize their call log and phone book. The smartwatch also allows users to control their phone camera, thanks to the remote camera feature. Finally, the smartwatch is suitable for women, men, and children.
- Suitable for women, men, and children
- Comes with a pedometer feature
- Helps users to monitor their sleep
- The smartwatch comes with a remote camera feature
- Not waterproof
3. Vowor 4G Smartwatch for Kids with SIM Card
If you’re looking for a smartwatch for your kid that has a ton of features, the Vowor 4G Kids smartwatch is a great option. It has a face-talk feature that lets you make video calls, a Wi-Fi LBS GPS tracker, a pedometer, geo-fencing, anti-lost, safe zones, an HD camera, remote monitoring, and more. This watch makes a great gift for your kid.
The smartwatch also lets you video call your child. In addition to video calls, you can also make voice calls. All you need to do is make sure your SIM card has a plan with both voice and data. Since the watch is GPS enabled, you can easily track your kid’s location. You can also check your kid’s activity history and more.
The smartwatch is made of high-quality materials and is durable. It also has anti-fall properties. The watch is waterproof, so you don’t have to worry about it getting damaged if it rains. The band strap is made of soft silicone, which makes it comfortable to wear. The watch also comes with a one-year warranty from the manufacturer.
- It’s a multifunctional smartwatch.
- The watch is waterproof.
- Supports both video and audio calls.
- Comes with a GPS feature.
- 1-year warranty from the manufacturer.
- Made of high-quality materials, so it’s more durable.
- The battery doesn’t last very long.
4. Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS, 40MM) – Space Gray Aluminum Case with Black Sport Band (Renewed)
One of the best things about this watch is the large, crisp display that lets you see more with less bezel. It also has a super-fast performance. The smartwatch also comes with face detection and an electrocardiogram feature, which helps you monitor your heart rate effectively. This makes it ideal for elderly people or those with heart conditions. It’s a big improvement over previous models.
In addition, the smartwatch has a GPS feature that lets you know the exact location of your loved one. The GPS battery life has also improved, lasting up to 6 hours now instead of 4 hours like previous models.
Overall, the design of this watch is a big upgrade, and you’ll definitely enjoy its functionality thanks to the big screen. The health benefits are also a big plus.
- GPS feature
- Large screen display
- Super-fast performance
- Face detection and electrocardiogram feature
- Lightweight design
- Limited watch face options in terms of function and choice
5. Bluetooth Smart Watch SIM Card Slot Camera Smartwatch
Are you searching for a smartwatch that can do it all? This smartwatch has you covered and then some. It comes with a Bluetooth dial, music player, alarm clock, sedentary mind, sleep monitor, calculator, remote camera, and more.
You can use this smartwatch during your sporting activities to track your distance, calories burned, and more. It also has a sleep monitor to help you get a better night’s sleep.
The hands-free speakerphone makes it easy to take calls while driving. You can also use the Bluetooth watch to answer calls and listen to music. The clear sound makes it easy to hear the other person on the line.
This smartwatch is easy to use. You can connect it to your Bluetooth phone with ease. It also supports micro-SIM cards, so you can enjoy different cellular services.
This smartwatch is a great gift for friends and family. It’s one of the best smartwatches on the market.
- Multifunctional smartwatch
- Hands-free speakerphone
- Easy to use
- Great gift idea
- Compatible with many devices
- Some users have reported issues with the OS
6. Samsung Gear S
Samsung is a company that is renowned for its world-class products. The Samsung Galaxy Watch is one such product. It features a 2-inch Super AMOLED display, which makes it visually appealing. Additionally, the watch is powered by a dual-core processor with a clock speed of 1 GHz and 512 MB of RAM. In terms of internal storage, the watch has 4 GB of space.
Other features of the watch include GPS tracking. The Wi-Fifths model is also water-resistant and has a variety of other features, including a pedometer, video player, audio player, chronometer, and voice commands.
The watch has several sensors, including an accelerometer sensor, ambient light sensor, and UV sensor. It is important to note that this model only works with nano-SIM cards. By inserting a SIM card, you will be able to make calls and send SMS messages, just as you would with a phone.
- Attractive screen display
- Fast performance
- No need to carry your phone if you have the watch
- Easy access to features, as they are all on your wrist
- Multiple sensors, including an accelerometer sensor, ambient light sensor, and UV sensor
- Low screen resolution
Choosing Locked or Unlocked Devices
If a smartwatch is locked, it can still be used to make calls and send texts, but it will be restricted to a single carrier. On the other hand, an unlocked smartwatch can be used with SIM cards from different carriers. This provides greater flexibility and convenience. Unlocked smartwatches can be unlocked by the manufacturer. To do this, contact the customer support team of the carrier that locked the watch and request that it be unlocked. For optimal performance, it is recommended to use an unlocked smartwatch.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
Are smartwatches carrier locked?
Indeed. This is because it typically uses an eSIM in place of a traditional SIM card. It is essentially locked to a specific carrier and cannot be changed until you contact that carrier’s customer support team to have it unlocked for you.
Do smartwatches need data plans?
No. A smartwatch is a smart accessory that works in conjunction with your phone. Depending on the type of smartwatch you have, you can connect it to your mobile device via Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and so on. Therefore, this device does not require its own service plan.
Can you make a phone call on a smartwatch?
It is possible to make calls with a smartwatch, depending on its capabilities. The watch must be connected to your phone via Bluetooth or a cellular network in order to do this. Some smartwatches can also be used to make calls remotely.
Which smartwatch can make calls without a phone?
The Ticwatch Pro 4G LTE smartwatch is capable of making calls without the need for a phone. This smartwatch comes with cellular functionality, and features a stylish design.
What can a smartwatch do without a SIM card?
A smartwatch can perform several tasks without a SIM card. For example, it can track and monitor various activities. The SIM card only enables the smartwatch to access the cellular network, which allows users to make calls and send messages. Otherwise, the smartwatch will function like any other smartwatch without a SIM card.
How do I cancel my T mobile Apple Watch cellular plan?
To cancel your T-Mobile Apple Watch cellular plan, please follow these steps:
- On your iPhone, open the Watch app.
- Tap the My Watch tab.
- Tap Cellular.
- Tap the information icon next to T-Mobile.
- Tap T-Mobile plan.
Your plan will be canceled.
Do all smartwatches require a phone?
Not entirely. Smartwatches do not require a phone to function, but they are not as functional without being connected to a phone.
A smartwatch is a multifunctional device that can be used for a variety of purposes, including making calls and texting. To use a smartwatch for these purposes, you must first select a SIM card that is compatible with your watch. Once you have inserted a SIM card into your watch, you will be able to make and receive calls and send and receive text messages. Since smartwatches are worn on the wrist, you can easily access these features and remain connected regardless of your activity.