The Internet has been one of the most essential networks for the last decades. Our dependency on the internet is becoming so intense that we can’t even think of our bedtime without it. Americans are more attached to it because of its leadership in the world through technology, innovation, business, and entertainment. Since the emergency forced us to stay in our houses, we have to continue our work. The Internet has been a blessing for us as it has been helping us to do everything online.
But the sad part is that many people have been facing financial hardships as the shutdown turned many peoples into jobless or incomeless. These low-income people find it more difficult to arrange monthly internet bills when the internet has been the only way of living and communication in this emergency. Considering their financial struggles, the federal government created a benefits program named Emergency Broadband Benefit EBB to provide monthly subsidies to those households for a few months.
Although the EBB program has finished and now The Federal Communications Commission has started a new program, Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), partnering with internet service providers across America. Being the leading telecommunication company in the world and the US, T-Mobile has joined this Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) as a participating provider. T-Mobile existing and new customers can enjoy the monthly discount benefits on internet bills and one-time subsidies on purchasing computers by enrolling in the program.
What is T-Mobile Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)?
The pandemic has been teaching us how we can run the entire world online. But low-income households have been trying and struggling to cope with the new normal. That is why FCC initiated the EBB and Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) to ease the financial struggle of low-income households. T-Mobile joined this program with its vast network coverage across the country so that every household can enroll in the T-Mobile Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) and get high-speed internet from anywhere in the US.
T-Mobile Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) is open for all customer but every household has to be eligible to apply as a low-income household. As per the FCC guidelines, every T-Mobile ACP beneficiary gets $30 per month as a subsidy for their monthly bills and in tribal land, this amount rises to $75 per month. Now if you believe your household requires government help because of the income loss and the financial struggle, then it’s open for you to join the T-Mobile Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). All you have to do is prove your eligibility based on some terms created by the FCC. There is also a connected device discount offer by FCC. Although T-Mobile only offers a monthly broadband discount, Metro by T-Mobile the other body of T-Mobile offers discounted laptops, tablets, and smartphones for eligible customers.
How does the T-Mobile Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) work?
The Universal Service Administrative Company offers the eligibility verification process through the National Verifier website. You have to submit some required information and documentation that supports your claim for the program. The National Verifier will determine whether your claim is valid as an American citizen or not. Once the FCC selects you as an eligible household for the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) benefit, you will have to apply for the T-Mobile ACP and choose a plan from them. After a successful enrollment process, you will start enjoying monthly benefits for your broadband internet use.
Please note that FCC doesn’t provide you with the monthly $30 in cash or directly to your account. You have to choose a participating provider like T-Mobile which is enlisted in the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) and the discount will be applied to your internet plan. This program is designed for a longer period, so it won’t finish soon.
About the T-Mobile
T-Mobile is the most popular and reliable wireless telecommunication company in the US. Ruling the network signal with 4G LTE, T-Mobile is now going to lead the wireless network in America with the 5G network. T-Mobile has already covered most of the areas in America with 5G and 5G ultra, which are now the largest, fastest, and most reliable 5G in the country. After merging with Sprint, the venture is now leaving its competitors in the dust. Customers have been satisfied with the faster speeds and greater signal strength. Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) is just the latest addition to its customer-centric commitment. It started with disaster relief efforts through renewable energy initiatives. Every effort is made to help build strong customer communities. The ultimate goal is to make customers stay connected with the fastest and most uninterrupted wireless network.
Eligibility Criteria for T-Mobile’s Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)
FCC set some criteria for the households to meet. If you or any member of your family meets any of these eligibility criteria, then the entire household can enjoy the discount month-to-month. There are many options for low-income households to meet them to get the benefit. Some of them are income-based and some of them are government assistance program-based criteria. Members of Lifeline have the best chance of being eligible automatically.
The income-based criteria are:
- The yearly income of your household in 2021 should meet the FCC guidelines to apply for ACP. This yearly income may vary depending on the state you live in. As an example, an individual living in Alaska should have an income maximum of $32,180, but in Hawaii, it is $29,640. For a household consisting of 3 or 4 members, the median income is $54,900 in Alaska and $50,520 in Hawaii.
- For ACP, any household member who lost a job, got a termination letter, or was furloughed since February 29, 2020, will have significant implications.
- Household income should not exceed 200% of the federal poverty guidelines. In this range of income, households are categorized as low-income and are eligible for the T-Mobile Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) benefit.
The program-based criteria are:
- If there is anyone who gets the Lifeline benefit, it can lead the whole house to being eligible for the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) benefit automatically. There are other government assistance programs considered eligible for T-Mobile ACP. These are: the SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), Medicaid, SSI (Supplemental Security Income), Federal Public Housing Assistance, and Veterans Survivor Pension Benefits Fund.
- Some tribal programs work as eligibility terms. These are the Bureau of Indian Affairs general assistance (BIA), Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance, Head Start, and Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservation (FDPIR).
- AIf a household member receives a free or reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision, or did so in the 2019-2020 school year
Documents Required to Apply
Before applying for the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), you have to make sure that you are eligible for this program legally. To prove your eligibility for the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), you will have to provide any of the documents listed below.
Identity Documents needed during your application for Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP):
- Social Security Number (SSN)
- Any of the government-issued IDs (State ID, PR ID)
- US Driver’s license
- Your passport copy
- Tribal Identification Number (If you fit into this category)
- U.S Military ID
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)
You may also need to provide the federal government’s special program-related documents based on your eligibility claim:
- Current income statement
- Unemployment statements
- Prior year’s state, federal, or tribal tax return
- Federal or Tribal notice letter of Participation in General assistance (SNAP, Medicaid, etc.)
- Veterans Administration statement of benefits
- Other official documents containing income information
Furthermore these documents needed, if you think you are eligible based on a specific program :
- Benefit award letter
- Statement of benefits
- Approval letter
- Benefit verification letter
The application process for the T-Mobile Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)
Enrolling in T-Mobile’s Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) is simple and easy. Here are some steps that you should follow to enroll in the Affordable Connectivity program.
- Complete the eligibility : Check your Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) eligibility through the national verifier. National Verifiers respond to applicants within a few minutes of receiving applications. Go to https://www.affordableconnectivity.gov/ to check eligibility. Here you will provide the required information by filling out the form.
- Complete the enrollment application : Log in to your account, type, and fill out the enrollment application at account.t-mobile.com/signin/v2. Make sure you have submitted the same information as you did in the previous step.
- Choose your plan : T-Mobile offers several plans for eligible Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) beneficiaries. You can call customer care or visit a T-Mobile store to choose your suitable plan. The representative or store manager will help you choose one. Existing customers can also apply Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) with their discount and go to their account.
What should I acknowledge during the application for the T-Mobile Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) benefit?
- You have to acknowledge that the ACP program is a federal government program initiated by the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) to provide a maximum discount on broadband service.
- To be eligible for the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) program benefit, you must subscribe to a T-Mobile plan.
- It is important to acknowledge that the Affordable Connectivity Program is a long-time initiative.
- You will be subject to T-Mobile’s standard terms and conditions.
- The cost of the monthly service will be set based on T-Mobile’s general rates.
- You may transfer the ACP benefit to another listed ACP provider at any time.
- You must consent to T-Mobile’s use of your personal information (name, address, phone number, birthdate)
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
How do I know I qualify?
The National Verifier notifies the applicant after a couple of minutes of the application. It checks every piece of information to find out if anything is wrong with the citizenship and determines whether the applicant is eligible based on the information and documentation provided. The National Verifier will give you an ID number to use during the application procedure. Please note that T-Mobile doesn’t determine the applicant’s eligibility.
Do I get the T-Mobile Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) discount forever?
FCC has ensured that the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) will be a long-term endeavor. It is currently not clear whether this is a permanent program or not. The Affordable Connectivity Program will serve the country for a very long time. Do not worry, T-Mobile will notify you via text or email before any change to the ACP.
What plans are eligible for the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) at T-Mobile?
T-Mobile offers several plans for eligible Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) beneficiaries. You can call customer care or visit a T-Mobile store. The customer care number is 1-800-937-8997, the customer care is available for 7 days and 24 hours.
Does the T-Mobile Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) allow Business accounts?
Usually, business accounts are not allowed to apply for the Affordable Connectivity Program. But, certain small businesses are eligible for the ACP. In that case, you are personally liable for the small business account (provided you provide the personal guarantee for the account).
Globally, the Internet is now the most essential medium in everyone’s life. Today, everything is run online, from school to work, from consulting a doctor to undergoing an operation, from online meetings to communicate with the spacecraft. T-Mobile has been serving millions of Americans with high-speed internet and fast-responding customer support.
Now its venture into the FCC’s Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) ensures its commitment to bridging the digital divide. The $30 monthly discount is a moderate subsidy for low-income households. But T-Mobile’s nationwide 5G coverage will allow them to pass the obstacles and deal with every virtual difficulty. If you are already a T-Mobile customer, don’t bother switching your account to the ACP benefit if you think you qualify for the discount. In that case, FCC will add the discount to your current plan. And as a new customer of Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), you should choose T-Mobile as the discount provider.