With internet becoming an essential commodity in today’s world, the choice of data plans is very crucial. The choice of your plan requires thorough considerations of personal needs and the market. That means what you want to do with the internet, availability, cost among others.
With the introduction of the Verizon Jetpack device in the market drastically changed the internet landscape. These small and portable hotspot devices allow people to access internet while on the move. They replace the old method where people created hotspots with their mobile phones for other devices.
That comes with a new burden of choosing among the best plan according to your needs. In this article, we endeavor to guide you on how to choose your best Verizon Jetpack plans. We’ll also answer the critical questions most users struggle to understand. So, without much further ado, let’s get started.
A Jetpack is a brand name for Verizon’s standalone mobile hotspot device. It creates Wi-Fi hotspot for mobile wireless devices like smartphones, tablets, and computers on the Verizon network. Once you connect your devices to the hotspot, you are charged as per your monthly data consumption.
Sub Questions / Contents
- 1 Verizon Jetpack Plans
- 2 What Do I Need to Use a Jetpack?
- 3 How Can I Connect My Jetpack To My Device?
- 4 Jetpack Performance
- 5 Why Would I Want To Use A Jetpack As A Mobile Hotspot Instead Of My Tablet Or Smartphone?
- 6 FAQs – Frequently Ask Questions
- 6.1 Can Verizon Jetpack Replace Home Internet?
- 6.2 Is the Verizon Jetpack Unlimited Data Plans?
- 6.3 Where can I buy a Jetpack?
- 6.4 How is the Jetpack different from a home Wi-Fi router?
- 6.5 Is a jetpack faster than phone hotspot?
- 6.6 Is Jetpack Really a No Throttle Data Plan?
- 6.7 How can I check the monthly data usage of my Jetpack?
- 6.8 How do I add more data for my Jetpack?
- 6.9 Conclusion
Verizon Jetpack Plans
The main difference between the normal Verizon plans and Jetpack plans is data. Basically, Jetpack plans only deal with data. That means you may not be a Verizon customer for other services and still purchase the Jetpack plan. But if you are already a Verizon user, you can still subscribe to Jetpack plans.
Verizon offers several Jetpack plans for subscribers. People already on other Verizon’s plans enjoy more affordable options. Below is an elaborate list of the available Jetpack plans;
1. Jetpack unlimited plans
Unlimited Jetpack plan: If you have a line already subscribed to Verizon’s unlimited plan, you receive a 50% discount. Otherwise, the cost of unlimited jetpack plan is $20 per month. With the discount, the cost comes down to $10 a month.
Even though the plan is referred to as unlimited, that doesn’t mean there is no data capping. The plan comes with only 15GB data per month at normal speeds. If you exhaust this allotment, you can still browse but at lower speeds. Actually, the lost speed you can attain after exceeding the limit is 600Kbps.
Unlimited plus plan: This plan comes with 30GB data per month of regular speed. It costs $30 per month with allowance to use lower-speed internet after exhaustion. But just like the unlimited plan, the overflow data speeds are excruciatingly low.
If you are subscribed to Verizon’s shared data plan you can add Jetpack services at an extra $10 per month. The disadvantage of this plan is that the Jetpack shares the available data allotment. Thus, with many devices, your data doesn’t last long.
3. Stand-alone Jetpack plans
There are number of stand-alone plans with fixed data allocation. Beyond the imposed limit means you cannot access the internet unless you pay $10 for every extra GB you use. The good thing with fixed data allotment is that you can receive a $5 discount. However, this is only if you subscribe to automated paperless billing. These plans include;
- 1GB plan: This is the lowest standalone Verizon plan that you can subscribe to. It costs $10 per month. If you exhaust the allocated 1GB, you will have to pay the $10 fee for the extra GB. It is a good plan for people with fewer wireless-capable devices. But if you plan to increase the devices, you may have to consider other plans.
- 10GB plan: This plan costs $55 per month. It is the near-bottom option if you don’t want the 1GB plan. So, if you want to upgrade slightly, this is perhaps the best option unless you have an exponentially steep device addition.
- 20GB plan: This is the middle Verizon Jetpack stand-alone plan. It goes for $85 per month. In most cases, only organizations and bigger companies can go beyond this plan. The others include the 30GB for $115 per month and 40GB that costs $145 per month. These huge premium allotments are the ones that you’ll find owners subscribing to automated payments. That means they will receive monthly discounts.
4. Prepaid Jetpack plans
Verizon has three Jetpack prepaid plans. These are;
- 6GB plan for $35 per month
- 16 GB plan for $45 per month
- 30GB plan for $65 per month
Verizon also offers a $5 discount per month if you subscribe to automatic payment mode. However, you are not eligible for the discount until the elapse of the first month. Also, under all these plans, the video clarity is throttled at HD quality (720p). In case you exhaust the allocated data, you can still browse at lower speeds also throttled at 600Kbps.
What Do I Need to Use a Jetpack?
Other than the Jetpack itself, there are a number of other requirements you have to fulfill. These include;
- Stable Verizon connection
- You should subscribe to an eligible plan
- You need a wall charger for recharging the battery
- A Micro-USB or USB C cable for the purposes of tethering
How Can I Connect My Jetpack To My Device?
There are two ways you can connect Jetpack to your devices. You can use the Wi-Fi connection mode or the USB. To use the Wi-Fi connection mode, you don’t need any physical connectors. All you need to do is turn on the Jetpack and your wireless devices. The connection between the Jetpack and the Verizon network is automatic.
If you choose to use the USB tethering mode, all you need is a USB cable. The cable connects the Jetpack and your device. However, you should pay close attention to the Jetpack model and generation. Otherwise using the USB on the older versions of Jetpack can deactivate the Wi-Fi option.
Generally, Jetpack has an incredible performance index. Since it runs on the Verizon network, its speed matches those of standard mobile phones. The newer Jetpack model speeds can slightly vary with the older versions. The reason is that they are more powerful.
With the widespread Verizon network coverage across the USA, Jetpacks have a more stable connection. Therefore, you can access better hotspot services than users on other devices using other networks. Working at high speeds, each device connects independently to the internet. However, people on prepaid Jetpack plans can experience deprioritization. That means in case of internet congestion, the users may experience slower internet speeds compared to people on Verizon’s network.
Why Would I Want To Use A Jetpack As A Mobile Hotspot Instead Of My Tablet Or Smartphone?
There are several benefits you accrue when using Jetpack as your source of internet. One, Verizon has very many devices from which you can choose the one you are most comfortable. For instance, the Inseego Jetpack MiFi 8800L is one of the cheapest devices in the market currently. So, if you are operating on a strict budget, you can still own an affordable MiFi for few dollars.
Even though Jetpack has not yet introduced 5G services, it still remains favorite to many people. Besides, you can still get more powerful devices like the MiFi M2100 5G UW. It is one of the best in the market although its cost is too high. You even get the cheapest older versions of Jetpack if you don’t need too high speeds. Below are the other benefits of a Jetpack;
- Unlike mobile hotspot, Jetpack comes with its own battery. Therefore, it won’t drain your tablet or smartphone battery.
- In the event you share your Jetpack with others, you don’t have to be inconvenienced by leaving your phone behind. You can simply disconnect your tablet or phone and others continue browsing.
- With Jetpack, you can connect more devices anywhere between 10-15 wireless-enabled devices. With mobile hotspot, you cannot achieve such high connection.
- You can access more advanced services with Jetpack than when using the mobile hotspot.
- The Jetpack allows you the freedom to move around. If people are using your smartphone or tablet as a source of internet, you must stay within range. So, you cannot achieve your utmost privacy.
FAQs – Frequently Ask Questions
Can Verizon Jetpack Replace Home Internet?
Yes. You can opt for a portable Verizon Jetpack if you are frequently on the move. So, instead of paying for home internet that you rarely or don’t use at all, the Jetpack will cover you. Besides, you can always carry it home and connect your home devices that need internet.
Is the Verizon Jetpack Unlimited Data Plans?
No. Even though they have some plans labeled unlimited, every plan has its data limit. With an active subscription, you browse at normal internet speeds. Once you hit the limit, if you are using unlimited subscription, you can only browse at very low speeds.
Where can I buy a Jetpack?
Verizon’s online store is the best for all Jetpack devices. That means anyone can buy these devices as long as Verizon serves that region. However, Verizon doesn’t currently stock too old Jetpack versions. If you don’t find your desired Jetpack on their site, you can check it on the Walmart, Amazon, and eBay online stores.
How is the Jetpack different from a home Wi-Fi router?
The major difference between the Jetpack and the home Wi-Fi router is portability. Whereas Jetpack is portable, home Wi-Fi router isn’t portable. It remains stationary and supplies internet to devices only within its range. Simply put, you cannot travel around with the home Wi-Fi router while using it.
Even though the working principle of Jetpack is similar to that of a home router, you can walk around with it. Also, some Jetpack models work as both mobile hotspots and USB modems. For these factors, most people tend to prefer the Jetpack to the home router. Note that the choice is entirely personal. There are those who choose home router. But based on flexibility, the MiFi technology has attracted much attention and has more benefits.
Is a jetpack faster than phone hotspot?
Even though most people think that Jetpack speeds are higher than mobile hotspots, this is not entirely true. With Jetpack, the speed keeps fluctuating as the amount of data drops. However, with a fixed amount of data, the speed can remain all-time high. So, it is possible to have a stronger phone hotspot than Jetpack sometimes.
Is Jetpack Really a No Throttle Data Plan?
No. Even the so-called unlimited plans have data limits imposed on them. Beyond the fixed limit, you are only allowed to browse at throttled speed. But this again depends on the plan you subscribe to. There are plans without throttling at all.
How can I check the monthly data usage of my Jetpack?
There are different ways of checking your monthly data usage on Jetpack. On the newest models like Verizon 5G MiFi M1000, the usage is displayed on the device screen. You can also log in to Verizon’s online portal and check your Usage under the My Usage page tab. To see your Usage online, click on the view data details.
How do I add more data for my Jetpack?
Sometimes you may need to add more data than what your plan offers. In such a case, you’ll have to log in to your My Verizon account to manage your plan. Only from there, you can change your plan as you want.
Portability is one of the major factors people consider when choosing digital devices. Verizon Jetpack came to specifically address that plan. Can you imagine traveling with your internet in the pocket? That is exactly what this device does. On top of that, its plans are awesome; affordable, and very convenient. So, instead of misusing your phone setting up a mobile hotspot, the Verizon Jetpack is a good choice.
With it, you can connect several devices than on mobile hotspots. Additionally, there are myriad of them such that anyone can go for their choice. As long as you choose the best Jetpack and its plan according to your needs, you will have nothing to regret.