The iPhone 8 was originally released by Apple on September 22, 2017. After it was released to the market, the model remained on sale until Mid-April 2020. During this period, Apple released a new budget-friendly model commonly known as the iPhone SE 2020. This model served as a replacement for the iPhone 8. Although the iPhone SE replaced the iPhone 8, these two models have the same design.
However, the 2020 iPhone SE has some minor internal upgrades that make it better than the iPhone 8. If you still have the iPhone 8, chances are that you might think that your phone is outdated. Although the model got discontinued, some users still have it and enjoy its functionality and performance. In this article, we shall outline the features of this model, whether it is still useful to date, whether it can work with the IOS 16, and so forth.
Sub Questions / Contents
- 1 Features Of The iPhone 8
- 2 Is It Worth Buying An iPhone 8 In 2023
- 3 List Of Models Came After The iPhone 8
- 4 Common iPhone 8 Problems That You Should Know & Their Fixes
- 5 Ways To Keep The iPhone 8 Working At Peak Performance
- 6 FAQ
- 7 Will The iPhone 8 Get Or With The IOS 16?
- 8 How Old Is The iPhone 8 Now?
Features Of The iPhone 8
Although this model was released a few years ago, it boasts of having some incredible features that impress many iPhone users. Some of these features include:
- The model comes with a 4.7 inch retina IPS LCD screen. Compared to its peer models, this screen is fairly large enough to allow you to get the most from your device. Here, you will be able to play mobile games, surf the internet, watch online content and so much more.
- The phone runs on iOS 11 which can be upgraded to iOS 15.6. Besides this, the model is powered by the Apple A11 Bionic (10nm).
- Although this model does not come with a SD card slot, it prides itself in having adequate ROM. To put this into perspective, this model comes with an internal storage of 64GB and a 2GB RAM. With these kinds of storage spaces in place, you will have ample space to store your favorite files and also be able to operate your phone seamlessly.
- To enable you to take great selfies, this model comes with a 7MP camera at the front. At the back, the phone comes with a 12 MP camera. Besides the rear camera, the phone comes with a Quad-LED dual-tone flash feature that helps to take great photos even at night.
- The model comes with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi capabilities.
- To optimize your phone security, the phone comes with a Fingerprint feature, which is mounted at the front. Other sensors that make this model great include; compass, barometer, gyro, accelerometer, among others.
- When it comes to the battery section, the model does not disappoint. This is because it comes with a long-lasting Li-Ion battery, whose capacity is 1821 mAh.
- The phone is uses a Nano-SIM card and is IP67 water/dust resistant.
Is It Worth Buying An iPhone 8 In 2023
Yes. If you are an Apple fan and would like to remain connected, consider going for the iPhone 8. Unlike other models, this one comes at a budget-friendly price. If you want the 64GB model, be ready to part with at least $174.
The 128GB model goes for $203 and the 256GB model costs $220.These prices are not fixed and therefore, they vary depending on the retailer, the carrier involved, the condition of the device involved, among other factors. As we speak, carriers such as Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile sell the iPhone 8. Besides this, you can purchase from a reputable online stores such as Amazon, BestBuy, eBay, among others.
Apart from the price, the phone has great features such as a good camera, large internal storage, sleek design, water, and dust resistant capabilities, among other features. Although this model was discontinued in April 2020, it still received updates on its operating system. Currently, it relies on iOS 11, which can be upgraded to iOS 15.6. Since iOS 16 will be released in September this year, be sure that you will still continue to get updates as usual.
However, this might last up to the end of this year. From 2024, you might start experiencing problems as the model might start hanging and so on. Therefore, if you want a pocket-friendly iPhone model, consider choosing the iPhone 8. However, you might have to upgrade in the long run so that you can continue getting updates from Apple.
List Of Models Came After The iPhone 8
- iPhone X
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 Mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 Mini
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone SE(2nd and 3rd Gen)
Common iPhone 8 Problems That You Should Know & Their Fixes
Although the iPhone 8 offers a myriad of benefits to its users, the phone is not immune to a number of problems. Thankfully, we have compiled some of the issues that you are likely to grapple with as you use the phone, alongside their respective solutions. Some of those issues include:
1. The Wi-Fi keeps on dropping out
Although your iPhone 8’s Wi-Fi feature might be working optimally, it might keep dropping UT from time to time. In case you become a victim of such circumstances, here are some solutions that you can consider:
- Try to restart your device and connect again
- Try to restart your router and establish the connection afresh.
- Reset the network settings of your device
- Run a software update on your device
- Check and establish if your router needs to get some updates.
2. Your iPhone 8 cannot connect to the 4G LTE
By now, you already know that this model can only connect to the 4G LTE network, HSPA network, among other lower cadre networks. If you are having issues whenever you want your iPhone 8 to connect to a 4G network, here are some solutions that can help you solve this problem.
- Toggle the airplane mode on your phone, on and off again and then try to search for the most available network.
- Check and establish if there are some carrier settings updates that are available for your device.
- Try to restart your iPhone 8
- Switch off your iPhone and then remove the SIM card. Place it back and then switch on your device.
- Reset your network settings. Here, you need to go to the ‘Settings’ section, then tap on the ‘General’ option. After this, tap on the ‘Reset’ option and then ‘Reset Network Settings’.
3. The battery drains fast
The last thing that you would wish to have is a battery that drains fast. If this is the case, you might have to carry your charger everywhere you go. This is not only inconvenient but also frustrating. At some point, you might be out of reach due to power related issues. To avert such problems, here are some ideas that can be a lifesaver for you:
- Allow your model to show the battery charge percentage. This way, you will be able to monitor the charge of your battery and act accordingly whenever it is about to get low.
- Switch on the low power mode
- Try to play music and videos on a lower volume
- Switch off iCloud
- Try to disable ‘Hey Siri’ in case you do not need it.
- Switch off the background app refresh feature
- Switch off the automatic downloads
- Try to reduce your iPhone’s brightness
- Switch off the vibrations
- Switch off the location services
- If these tips do not work, try to factory reset your device. This step should be the last resort.
It is normal for your iPhone 8 to get warm or even hot whenever it is in use. However, if the model gets too hot, something is wrong somewhere. Here are some remedies that can help keep this problem at bay:
- Take a break from using your phone. Once it cools down, you can resume your normal phone operations.
- Consider using the device in a cooler environment.
- If the model has a casing or a cover, remove it and allow the device to lose heat fast.
- Switch off any application or feature that you might not be using at the moment.
- Let the device go to sleep mode for a while and then switch it on back again.
5. The screen is unresponsive or frozen
As you utilize the iPhone 8, its screen might become unresponsive on the home screen or the lock screen. If this happens, you might not be able to utilize your device optimally. Thankfully, the following ideas can help solve this problem on the go:
- Try and hold the wake button of your device and then slide it to power off. Thereafter, press the sleep button so as to turn it back on again.
- Try to restart your phone using the volume and the wake button.
- In case restarting your device fails, try to back up everything on your device and then wipe your device.
- Factory reset your device and see if the problem will still persist.
Ways To Keep The iPhone 8 Working At Peak Performance
It is the desire of every phone owner to have a device that works optimally all the time. IPhone 8 owners are not an exception either. Here are a few tips that can help optimize your iPhone 8’s performance.
- Always switch off the location services feature in case you do not need it
- Close down those apps that might running in the background at the same time.
- Clear all the junk files and cache on your iPhone.
- Switch off all the automatic app updates. Instead, you can choose to update them manually at your own time.
- Enable the low battery mode when your phone’s battery charge is less than 20%.
- Remove all those files that you do not need in the internal storage space.
If your device still has performance-related issues, try to rest the factory settings. As you propose to do this, ensure that you have backed all your data in the iCloud or iTunes.
Will The iPhone 8 Get Or With The IOS 16?
Yes. It is imperative to note that the iOS 16 will support the iPhone 8. However, since this model is powered by the Apple A11 Bionic chip, be sure that it will miss some essential features of the iOS 16.
To be honest, most of the iOS 16 will work on those iPhone devices that are powered by the A12 Bionic chip or newer. Some of the pioneer models with the A12 Bionic chip include the iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS, and the iPhone XR.
How Old Is The iPhone 8 Now?
Since this model was released in September 2017, it is true to say that it has remained in existence for about 5 years. However, this model got discontinued in April 2020 after the release of the iPhone SE 2020.
Does The iPhone 8 Support 5G Network?
Not really. Instead, this model supports 4G LTE network. This is because the phone does not come with the 5G modem and cannot be installed on the device. Therefore, if your carrier offers 4G and 5G network coverage, be sure that you will only be able to connect to the 4G network.