If you are looking for a free government phone and tablet but don’t know where to get started, this guide has all the answers for you. Here, we are delighted to inform you that it’s possible to get these devices through lifeline and ACP programs. Basically, these programs don’t offer free government devices directly. Instead, they partner with qualifying service providers to offer these devices to qualified low income households. As long as you qualify for these programs, you stand a chance to get a free government device from these providers though a very straightforward process.
Before receiving your devices however, you’ll be required to provide a number of eligibility supporting documents and follow the right procedure. In this article, we shall discuss how to qualify, supporting document and steps to follow when applying for a free government phone and tablet. To learn more, with us to the end!
How Do I Get Free Government Phone And Tablet
As of now, you know that it’s possible to get a free government phone and tablet from lifeline and ACP. In this section, we shall briefly discuss how to get a free device from these programs:
How to get a free government phone and tablet from ACP
Affordable connectivity program (ACP) is one of the most recent federal government program that was initiated after termination of EBB. Basically, the program was initiated to offer affordable broadband services and devices to low income eligible families. The program offers a discount of $30 towards clearing your monthly internet bill ($75 on qualified tribal-lands). In addition, the program allows you to get an overall discount of up to $100 towards purchasing connectivity devices like phone, tablet and laptops. Once you apply this discount, you stand a chance of getting a free phone or tablet with a co-payment of $10.01 only.
Additionally, the program offers other benefits like free phones, monthly talk and text services depending with your carrier and state. Therefore, you can get a free phone and tablet from this program on condition that you meet the needed qualifications. (Continue reading to know more about these qualification).
How to get a free government phone and tablet from lifeline
Lifeline is one of the oldest FCC communication program that was initiated in 1985 to make phone and internet services more affordable for the jobless, elderly, disabled and low income consumers. Through participating providers, lifeline offers a monthly discount of up to $9.25 on phone and internet services and up to $34.25 for qualified consumers on tribal lands. Depending with your provider and residential state, you can also get a free phone, free monthly calls, texts and data from this program. Some providers also offer free tablets when you bundle lifeline and ACP plans, subject to your state and availability.
What Are The Requirements That Qualify Me For Free Government Phone And Tablet?
Obviously, free government phones and tablets are not meant for everyone. As a result, the government set a number of requirements to rule out who should and shouldn’t access these benefits. Are you looking for a free government phone and tablet? Make sure you meet one of the requirements below:
- You are a low income consumer with a total income of or below 135% of the federal income guideline for lifeline.
- You are a low income consumer with a total income at or below 200% of the federal poverty guideline for ACP
- You are a beneficiary of the federal Pell grant in a current academic year for ACP
- You are a beneficiary of the Free and Reduced-Price School Breakfast Program or School Lunch Program including at the USDA community of Eligibility Provision for ACP.
- You are an eligible beneficiary of the following programs for both lifeline and ACP:
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Supplemental Security Income
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
- Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families(Tribal TANF)
- Tribal Head Start
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
What Documents Do I Need To Get A Free Government Phone And Tablet
After qualifying for free government phone and tablet through lifeline or ACP, you must prove to ACP officials that you are eligible for these benefits. This is through attaching documents with prove of your eligibility, address and identity. Below is a list of documents that you need to get these devices:
- Program eligibility documents: These are documents to show that you are a member of any qualifying program. These documents should have your legal name, name of your program, name of a government entity that issued the document and a valid issue date. Examples of program eligibility documents:
- You qualifying program’s benefit award letter
- Your qualifying program’s Income approval letter
- Your qualifying program’s benefit statements of benefits
- Your qualifying program’s benefit verification letter
- School letter or documentation
- Household income eligibility documents: These are documents that show your income is equal or below 135% or 200% of the federal poverty guideline. These documents should have your legal name and your annual income. Examples of income eligibility documents:
- Prior year’s state, Tribal or Federal tax return
- Paycheck stub
- Social Security statement of benefits
- Pension or retirement statement of benefits
- Current income statement
- Identity documents: These are documents to prove that you are the real identity of the applicant. These documents must have your legal name and date of birth. Examples of identity documents:
- Your passport
- Certificate of U.S citizenship or naturalization
- U.S Driver’s license
- Green card or permanent resident card
- Your government-issued, state, military, or Tribal ID
- Your birth certificate
- Your driver’s license
- Address documents: These are documents to prove your place of residence. These documents should have your legal name and physical address. Examples of address documents:
- Utility bill
- Mortgage or lease statement
- W-2 or tax return
Steps To Apply For Free Government Phone And Tablet
To get a free government phone and tablet, you should enroll for ACP or lifeline through the federal communications commission website. Upon approval, contact your provider and request for a free device. Below are steps to follow:
1. Enroll online
This is the easiest, fastest ad most assured way of applying for free government programs. Below are steps to enroll for lifeline or ACP online:
- Enroll for lifeline online:
- Open lifeline website: “getinternet.gov/apply?id=nv_home&ln=RW5nbGlzaA%3D%3D“.
- Start your application by providing your territory or your state.
- Tap on the link “get started”
- The link will direct you to a virtual application form on the national lifeline verifier page.
- Fill the form with your legal name, SSN, date of birth, contact, home address and any other personal information required.
- After providing all the necessary information, proceed to the next page and submit copies of your identity, address and eligibility documents.
- Follow all the instructions and submit your application.
- Enroll for ACP online: Please note that if you are already enrolled for lifeline program, you don’t need to reapply for ACP. If not, you can enroll for ACP online as follows:
- Visit ACP online page “affordableconnectivity.gov/how-to-apply“.
- Click the icon “apply now”
- The link will direct you to the program’s online application form: “getinternet.gov/apply?id=nv_home&ln=RW5nbGlzaA%3D%3D“.
- Start filling the form with your address and email address/phone number
- Open the next page and provide your valid social security number
- You can also attach valid identity documents like passport or driver’s license.
- After attaching relevant documents, click on the icon “next” and follow prompts until you complete filling the form.
- After providing all the needed information, click on the “submit” button and wait for approval.
2. Enroll through mail
If you don’t prefer online application method, you’re lucky because you can also enroll for lifeline or ACP through mail. Here, you should contact lifeline or ACP support center and request them to mail you a paper application form to your address. Alternatively, you can download and print lifeline/ACP paper application form through the following steps:
- Apply for lifeline via mail:
- Open lifeline download link: “lifelinesupport.org/wp-content/uploads/documents/get-lifeline/LI_Application_NVstates.pdf“
- Start downloading a paper application form then print it out
- Fill the form, attach application documents
- Mail the form to lifeline address: USAC, Lifeline Support Center, and P.O Box 9100, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18773.
- Enroll for ACP vial mail:
- Open ACP download link: “affordableconnectivity.gov/help/tools/#instructions“.
- Download your household worksheet
- Print the forms
- Fill them out, attach application documents
- Mail the forms to ACP address: ACP support center, PO BOX 9100, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18773.
3. Enroll through service providers
After submitting your lifeline or ACP application form, the team will receive it, verify and give you a feedback within hours or few days. If your feedback was positive, you are now a member of these program.
After becoming a member, the next step is to identify lifeline/ACP service providers within your state and sign up for a government free phone and tablet. To identify a provider, use ACP search tool and follow prompts: “affordableconnectivity.gov/companies-near-me“.
Have you identified a potential provider? You should now reach out to them and sign up for a free device. You can call your provider’s helpline or visit their website and get instructions on how to sign up for a free phone and tablet. To make it easy for you, we have discussed these providers in a section below.
How Do I Select The Best Providers That Offer Free Government Phone And Tablet
There are several providers that offer free government phones and tablet. In this section, we shall discuss tips to follow when selecting your best provider:
- Make sure your provider offers ACP or lifeline services within your locality. You can use ACP search tool.
- Since lifeline/ACP benefits varies depending with your state and availability, make sure that your provider has free phone or tablet benefits.
- Make sure that your provider has a reliable and responsive customer support team.
- Some lifeline/ACP providers offers discounted phones and tablets rather than free devices. Therefore, make sure your provider’s deal is free or pocket friendly.
- Besides lifeline/ACP requirements, some providers have additional rules or requirements to meet. Therefore, inquire and ensure that you comply with their rules before requesting for your free device.
Best Providers That Offer Free Government Phone And Tablet
As we aforementioned, there are numerous carriers that partner with lifeline and ACP to make connection services and devices affordable for low income consumers. In this section, we bring you a list of 7 best providers that offer free government phone and tablets and how to sign-up.
1. Cintex wireless
Cintex wireless is a proud participant of lifeline and ACP with services available across several states in the US. From this carrier, you can get a free smartphone as part of ACP/lifeline bundle. In addition, you can get a free tablet from this carrier’s ACP plan, after making a payment of at least $10/01. If you want free government devices from this carrier, visit its official website and click the “apply” button: “cintexwireless.com/acp-program“.
2. Airtalk wireless
Aitalk wireless is another proud participant of lifeline and ACP programs. Once you bundle lifeline and ACP plans, you get a chance to receive a one-time free smartphone, free data, calls and texts every month.
In addition, you can opt to enroll for ACP plan only and get a free tablet. However, you must part with at least $10.01 before receiving your free tablet. Are you qualified for this carrier’s lifeline or ACP, visit their official website and start your application: “airtalkwireless.com/lifeline-program“.
3. NewPhone wireless
This is another carrier that proudly participates in the government’s lifeline and ACP programs. Once you qualify for these programs, you can opt to sign up for NewPhone wireless ACP plan or lifeline plan separately.
However, you can also opt to bundle lifeline and ACP plan and receive a free smartphone plus tablet. To enroll, visit their website and tap the “apply” button: “newphone.com“.
4. StandUp wireless
This is another potential provider that offers free government phone and tablet through lifeline and ACP programs. When you bundle these programs, you stand a chance to get a one-time free smartphone, free unlimited talk, text and data every month.
In addition, you stand a chance to get a free tablet through ACP-only plan after making a co-payment of $10.01. To get free devices from this provider, visit their official website, enter your ZIP code, email address and click on “begin application”. “standupwireless.com“.
TruConnect also helps low income consumers to stay connected through offering lifeline and ACP benefits. After bundling these programs, you stand a chance to get a free android smartphone plus free unlimited monthly data, texts, talk and free international calling.
Additionally, standUp wireless will give you a free tablet for only $10.01 after enrolling for their ACP-only plan. To get your free government phone and tablet from this provider, visit their page, enter your ZIP code, email address and click on “apply now”. “truconnect.com/broadband“.
6. Selectel wireless
Selectel wireless is also committed to help low income consumers remain connected less expensively through the affordable connectivity program. Fortunately, once you qualify for selectel ACP, you can get a one-time discount of up to $100 towards purchasing connectivity devices like tablets. However, you will have to make a payment of $10 to $50 before receiving your tablet.
In addition, you will receive a free smartphone if you are a qualified selected wireless new customer. Do you qualify for this program? Visit the carrier’s ACP page and click on “apply now”. “selectelwireless.com/acp“.
7. Torch wireless
Do you qualify for ACP under torch wireless? If yes, we are happy to inform you that you can get a government free phone and tablet. To receive this limited-time offer, you’ll be required to make a one-time payment of $11. To receive your free devices, visit torch wireless official website, enter your ZIP code and click on “start”. “torchwireless.com“.
Which Type Of Free Phones Can I Get From The Government
When applying for a free phone from the government, you don’t get to select or know what type or model of phone to receive. This is because your provider will send a free phone based on availability, eligibility and residential state. Below are types of phones that you are likely to receive for free:
- Apple iPhone 7
- Samsung galaxy A02s
- Samsung galaxy A51
- Apple iPhone 7 plus
- Motorola G stylus 2020
- Samsung galaxy A50
- iPhone 6s plus
- Samsung galaxy s9
- Apple iPhone 7 plus
- Wingtech REVVL V
- Samsung galaxy A10E
- Samsung galaxyA03s
- Samsung galaxy S9
- Samsung galaxy S8
- Schok volt
What Type Of Free Tablets Can I Get From The Government
Similar to free phones, applicants also don’t get to know what types of tablets to receive. This is because the tablets are offered based on eligibility and availability. However, you are likely to get the following types:
- Apple iPad Air 2
- Apple iPad air
- Apple iPad mini
- Samsung galaxy Tab s
- Samsung galaxy Tab A 2020
- Samsung galaxy Tab S3
- Samsung galaxy Tab S4
- Alcatel joy Tab 2
- Apple iPad mini 2
- Apple iPad mini 3
- Samsung galaxy Tab E
- Samsung galaxy Tab A 2020
- KonnectONE Moxee tablet
- Sky pad 8
- Sky elite T8 plus
Can I Get A Fee Government Phone And Tablet At The Same Time?
It’s possible to get a free government phone and tablet at the same time. For instance, if you received a free phone through lifeline, you can also sign up for free ACP tablets. Also, some providers bundle ACP and lifeline plans making it easy to get a free government phone and tablet at the same time.
How Do I Check My Free Government Phone And Tablet Application Status?
The process of checking your application status depends with your provider. However, the easiest process is through calling your provider’s helpline and inquire your status from a representative. Also, some providers allows you to check your status through logging in to your lifeline/ACP account.