Internet connection has become an essential part of our everyday lives. What if someone told you it is possible to access the internet without a data plan or Wi-Fi? That is what this article is about. In as much as people need to connect their Android devices to the free internet service, security is paramount. That’s why cyber security experts caution against the use of public free Wi-Fi. These are major snooping grounds for hackers and crackers. So, you need to be sure you won’t compromise your privacy and information.
In a bid to develop safe alternatives to internet access, Android devices use Virtual Private Network (VPN). It enables you to access the internet without compromising your information and privacy. Additionally, there are also third-party VPN applications that provide similar services. However, you may have to pay to access some of these apps. But most of them have free versions that allow you to access their basic functionalities.
What is VPN and How Does it Work?
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It facilitates anonymous browsing by routing your connection to servers in different locations. It also encrypts your information and activities to protect it against unauthorized access. In simpler terms, VPN establishes a secure and private connection hidden from everyone, including your ISP.
To use VPN, your device should have at least Android 4 operating system and above. The first thing after connecting to the service provider, run the VPN using the client module. It will immediately encrypt your information even before your ISP can decipher it. The encrypted data is what goes to the VPN server and then to the online destination. Thus, anybody trying to infiltrate your privacy will not access your accurate information. All your data and activities emanate from a different VPN server different locations. Apart from masking your personal information, VPN offers other many benefits. These include;
- Free services. In most cases, you don’t pay anything for the VPN services. However, some premium versions will charge you an affordable fee.
- It masks your location from the ISP and other users. Therefore, you can enjoy internet resources without fretting over snoopers.
- It also enables you to access restricted online resources in your country. Since the VPN server displays a different location, you can bypass restrictions and censorship.
- Some third-party VPN applications provide higher quality connections than conventional connections.
Smartphones with Android version 4 and above come with an in-built VPN feature. To use the free internet service, you need to activate this android feature. It is a straightforward process that takes seconds to complete. Below is a step-by-step process on how to access free internet service on android using a built-in VPN.
Step-by-step Process To Set Up The Built-in VPN Service On Android
You need a server name to make this process a success. To get a server name, you must have a server website. The administrator will provide you with the necessary credentials. Under the server website, select the type of server you would like to use. There are two main types of VPN servers; PPTP and L2TP.
The server name, user ID and password are all found under the server type you select. Mark them as you’ll need them.
Open the settings on your phone and proceed to wireless and networks option. Tap “More” to open a pop-up page with the VPN tab and select it.
When you click VPN, a blank page will appear. Depending on your Android version, you need to fill in the VPN details.
Click the “+” sign on the right top corner of the screen.
On the screen, fill in your preferred VPN name. Choose the server type and address then hit the save button.
Once saved, your VPN name will appear on the screen so, tap it. At this point, you are set to connect your phone to the internet via VPN. Input the user ID and the password you got from your server website. After the above steps, your smartphone should be connected successfully. As a confirmation of connection, VPN should display a key sign on the notification bar.
Get Free Internet Service Without Data Plan For Android Using VPN
Thanks to technology, today people can access the internet via several VPN apps. All these are available in the play store. Even though these apps face several challenges including security, they guarantee connection. Since there are many of them, you need to conduct due diligence to get the best option for your device. After scouring the internet, we found some of the fastest and safest VPN android apps for free service. If you are looking for a good VPN app to use on your Android device, you can consider using any of these;
1. Droid VPN For Android Free Internet Service
Droid VPN is one of the most popular VPN apps that you can use to access the internet without a data plan. The app is available in the Google store and all you need is to download and install it on your Android phone. Below is a step-by-step guideline on how you can install and use Droid on your phone.
- Download the DroidVPN from the playstore and install it
- Launch the application and register your account. Ensure that you include your username, Email and secure your account with a password.
- After setting up your account, go to Connection settings. Click “Connection Protocol” then choose TCP.
- Select and enable HTTTP HEADERS on the new screen that appears
- Fill in your custom headers as “Host:get.wynk.in/X-Online-Host:get.wynk.in/”then click okay.
- Launch DroidVPN app and check the available connection
- Select any connection and you are set.
2. FLY VPN For Android Free Internet Service
FLY VPN is among the most convenient VPN android apps. Unlike some apps, you don’t have to download it onto your device. You can connect to FLY VPN in a few basic steps as illustrated below;
- Go to settings on your device, select wireless and network then click VPN.
- On the top right corner, click the plus sign to add a new VPN.
- Choose a suitable username.
- Check and add your country’s server address.
- Choose the server type and save it.
- To establish the connection, click FLY VPN.
- Log in with your account credentials; username and password.
- Finally tap on connect tab. Your android device should now be able to access the free internet service.
3. Troid VPN For Android Free Internet Service
To use Troid VPN, you must download it onto your device. Its main benefit is that if you are using the free version you don’t have to register a Troid account. The app provides free and quality internet connections by compressing your data. Troid uses three major tunneling protocols. These include the UDP, TCP, and ICMP. If you use UDP and TCP you don’t have to root your smartphone. Otherwise, rooting is a requirement on the other protocols. To set up Troid VPN on your Android device, follow the steps highlighted below;
- On your device google app store, download and install the TROID APP.
- Open the app and select a free server.
- Choose a TCP port and proceed to set the Rport and Lport values as 443 and 0 respectively.
- On your device, go to settings and select use proxy for TCP connection.
- Key in the following settings:
- Add port 3128
- Proxy host as 126.96.36.199 or 188.8.131.52
- Host as 184.108.40.206/@
- Click save button to save your configurations.
- Finally, click ‘connect’ to establish a connection.
4. SKY VPN For Android Free Internet Service
SKY VPN comes in two different versions, free and premium. The free basic VPN uses a single US-based server. On the other hand, the premium version has more advanced features. For example, it offers higher speeds, global servers, and unlimited traffic. Follow the steps below if you want to use this app to evade expensive data charges;
- Ensure that your device supports 3G/4G network before starting the installation. If yes, download the app from Google play store and install it.
- Launch the app then click connects. A pop-up screen will show up requesting you to start SKY VPN. If you receive a VPN connection request, accept and continue.
- On the top left corner of your device, click on the sidebar menu to view the SKY VPN features.
- If you are a first-time user, you need an email address and password to register your account. If you already have an account, log in with your email and password to use the app.
5. Feat VPN For Android Free Internet Service
You don’t need to be a pro to use Feat VPN. This app features a user-friendly interface. This makes it easy to install and set up a free internet connection. Unlike most VPN apps that need you to root your device, Feat doesn’t have such a provision. It allows you to use it while your device remains unaltered. Another advantage is that a Beta Feat VPN version is available for devices with Androids above 4 .0. Another pro associated with this app is because it’s open source. You don’t have to spend anything to use it on your phone. If you are looking for internet services without paying a penny, Feat VPN got you covered. Since the app uses external server configuration, you should download it to upload later. Below are the steps you should follow to set up Feat in your device and get connected;
- Download Feat VPN from the Google store and install it on your device.
- After installation, click the setup button to run the application.
- Before starting, Feat VPN will carry out compatibility test to ascertain device capability.
- After the device tests, click the exit button. This should take you to the app’s homepage.
- On the homepage, click Tunnels> ADD button to add the VPN connection.
- Tap the configuration settings. Load the server configuration files you downloaded earlier.
- Use the back button to view the listed VPN tunnel. Your server should be one of the VPN tunnels.
- Choose your VPN tunnel that you created.
- Enter your connection credentials then click okay. Your VPN status should read as connected.
6. UFO VPN For Android Free Internet Service
UFO VPN is another user-friendly VPN app that will allow you to access the internet for free. It has both free and premium versions. One of its advantages is because you don’t have to create an account. However, the free version has many ads. It also has many servers in different locations but not like the paid version. So, if you want to add more locations and unlimited bandwidth you will have to pay the subscription fee. Also, the premium version won’t disturb you with the many ads. There also no complicated settings to do on this app. If you have an android phone and want to use the free VPN services, you can do the following to complete the setup;
- Download UFO VPN from the Google play store and install it.
- Open the app and look for a white status button located in the middle part of the screen. Tap it and click okay to switch ON the VPN.
- The VPN status should change from OFF to ON.
- Immediately, the app should start the necessary settings tailored for your device. That’s one of the pros of UFO as you don’t have to set up everything on your own.
7. Fast VPN For Android Free Internet Service
Just as its name suggests, fast VPN is free and exceptionally fast. You don’t need to create an account to use it on your phone. All you need to do is turn on the VPN feature on your phone and select the country server of your choice. Fast VPN is more popular amongst gaming enthusiasts because of its high speeds.
Since there are no extra settings to make, just download the app in your phone and install it. It will auto configure and once you switch it on you are good to go. You will enjoy ad-free ad browsing without any hidden charges.
8. Thunder VPN For Android Free Internet Service
VPN is relatively easy to use as it does not need logging in. You only need to open the app and start surfing after a few clicks. With the free version, you can only access up to five servers in different countries. If you want to broadcast your location to more countries, you’ll have to get the premium version.
Moreover, it comes with impressive features. For example, you can choose specific apps to run under VPN. However, this requires android 5.0 and above. You also get to enjoy unlimited and uninterrupted surfing experience with few ads. Its versatility to work with a variety of data carriers, wi-fi, 3G/4G is a plus. To install Thunder VPN, allow the installation of apps from an unknown source. Also, if your device is running on Android version 7+, allow the file manager to install the external apk file. Download the Thunder VPN and install it. After installation which takes a few minutes, opens the app, and makes a few settings, and then your app is ready for use.
How to Disconnect From VPN
Disconnecting VPN on your device is easier than connecting it. When running, “a VPN activated “pop up keeps appearing on your notification feed. To deactivate VPN, click on this message. It will open a VPN’s home screen. Click ‘deactivate’; it will switch off the VPN.
Is it possible to access the internet without a data plan?
Yes. It is possible to browse the internet without subscribing to any data plan. You can do this using an inbuilt smartphone’s VPN. Alternatively, you can download and configure the third-party VPN apps. Examples of such apps include Thunder VPN, Droid, FLY VPN etc.
Are there any free and safe Android internet applications?
Yes. There are many free internet applications. However, the safety and privacy of these apps are questionable. Even though they allow you to browse uninterrupted, they can interfere with your private information. Good examples of these apps include; Gigato, KickBit, and Databack.
Are there requirements before I access Android internet using third-party VPN apps?
To access the free VPN for Android, you must ensure you’ve met three main factors. These include;
- Ensure that you have an active data plan with zero data balance. If you have any balance, the moment you access the internet will be used up.
- The free VPN internet access works for any Android device. These include smartphones and Tablets.
- Your Android device must have from Android version 4.0 and above.
Is there a way I can get free mobile data?
Yes. One of the easiest routes to free mobile data is using special apps that unlock free data. Top on this list are apps such as Gigato, Swagbucks, Hotspofinder etc.
Is the use of VPN illegal?
No. VPN is legal unless you are committing a cybercrime. Also, different jurisdictions have different statutes that regulate the use of such resources. So, things may be different in your country.
We have explored the various ways you can access free Android internet service. The above apps even though different, they aim at achieving a common goal. The choice now lies with you depending on your needs and preference. Although, before settling on any app, ensure that you understand it well.