The Emergency Broadband Benefit program or the EBB program was the admired subsidy program of the American Federal Government. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) announced this internet benefit program in May 2021. The purpose of EBB is to aid low-income households with some monthly moderate credits on their internet usage. These households will be selected by a neutral system created by the FCC that looks after internet and telecommunication policy and effectiveness on behalf of the Federal Government.
The idea came from the pandemic shutdown which has turned millions of people jobless or income-less. After the EBB program ended and was replaced with the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), to help low-income families stay connected to the broadband internet so that they can participate in their livelihoods virtually.
The FCC boarded many internet service providers nationwide into this temporary program. Xfinity is one of the 875 participating providers who has been contributing to the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). Here we are going to give you a clear idea of this program, its eligibility terms, application procedures, and other factors of the Xfinity Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP).
Sub Questions / Contents
- 1 About the Xfinity Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)
- 2 About Xfinity
- 3 Eligibility Criteria for Xfinity Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)
- 4 Documents Required to Apply Xfinity Affordable Connectivity Program
- 5 The application process for the Xfinity Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)
- 6 Other services of Xfinity
- 7 FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- 7.1 If I move while receiving the ACP subsidy, what happens?
- 7.2 For how long will I receive the ACP credit?
- 7.3 Can I transfer my ACP benefit to another person or household?
- 7.4 How do I sign up to receive the affordable connectivity program?
- 7.5 If I have Xfinity mobile service, does the benefit still apply?
- 8 Final Word
About the Xfinity Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)
After the EBBP, the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) established the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) immediately to keep households connected with their virtual life. Though it’s an open program, but only eligible families can get this benefit. Here, a household has to prove that it is eligible to get the discounted internet upon meeting any of the FCC criteria. Families that meet any of the FCC’s criteria will receive a $30 subsidy on their monthly internet bills and a $100 one-time discount to buy a tablet, laptop, or desktop computer.
For households living in tribal lands, the discount amount is $75 per month. It also provides credit to lease internet essentials such as Xfinity internet modem rental. All you need to prepare are the supporting documents to prove your eligibility, Xfinity account, and follow the enrollment procedure.
First, the National Verifier will collect information from you. Here you will have to prove your identity as a US citizen and your eligibility based on your income situation. The USAC (Universal Administrative Service Association) executes this process through the National Verifier website. This program determines your eligibility based on your income and participation in government assistance programs. If anyone in your household receives the Lifeline benefit, then you are automatically eligible for Xfinity ACP. So, you don’t need to go through the National Verifier process. It’s a brand-new assistance program from the FCC but works in much the same way as the previous EBB program.
Xfinity is a popular telecommunication company in the US that gives customers access to cable TV, the internet, telephone, and other wireless services. Comcast Corporation is the parent company that uses Xfinity as its brand name for telecommunications services. Comcast cable communications introduced Xfinity in 2010. It has a huge resource of entertainment with the service so that customers get instant access. America’s largest and most reliable 5G internet is the strength of Xfinity, with millions of Wi-Fi hotspots delivering a faster wireless experience to its users. For greater experience through connectivity and entertainment, Xfinity has some exclusive features to keep its customers ahead of others. Some of its fantastic solutions are X-Fi, Xfinity Home, Xfinity Voice, Xfinity Flex, X1, Xfinity Stream
Eligibility Criteria for Xfinity Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)
Internet Essential customers are automatically eligible for ACP, but they must follow the enrollment process. Besides, Lifeline recipients are considered eligible automatically and don’t need to go through the National Verifier process. There are some qualifying criteria that are discussed below:
Federal Government assistance program:
- SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)
- SSI (Supplemental Security Income)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Veterans Survivor Pension Fund
- Tribal programs for residents on qualifying tribal lands.
There are other criteria the FCC set based on household income.
- The income of the household is below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines.
- If a household member receives a free, and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision, or did so in the 2019-2020 school year
- If the household member suffered a substantial loss or was terminated on February 29,
In that case, they must apply with proof of their jobless statements.
- The yearly income of your household in 2021 should meet the FCC guidelines to apply for ACP. This yearly income may vary depending on the state you live in. As an example, for an individual living in Alaska should have an income maximum of $32,180, but in Hawaii, it is $29,640. For a household consisting of 3 or 4 members, the income size is $54,900 in Alaska and $50,520 in Hawaii.
Tribal Benefit programs refer to the eligibility of the ACP:
- Any of the Federal Assistance programs membership
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Tribal Head Start (only those households can meet income-qualifying standards)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations.
- Tribal TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families)
Documents Required to Apply Xfinity Affordable Connectivity Program
Before applying for the ACP program, you have to make sure that you are eligible for this program legally. To prove you as eligible for the ACP, you will have to provide any of the documents listed below.
Identity Documents needed during your application for ACP:
- Social Security Number (SSN)
- Any of the Government-issued ID (State ID, PR ID)
- US Driver’s license
- Your Passport copies
- Tribal Identification Number (If you fit this category)
- U.S Military ID
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)
You may also need to provide Federal Government’s special program-related documents based on your eligibility claim:
- Current income statement
- Unemployment statements
- Prior year’s state, federal or Tribal tax return
- Federal or Tribal notice letter of participation in General assistance (SNAP, Medicaid, etc.)
- Veterans Administration statement of benefits
- Other official documents containing income information
Furthermore, if you think you are eligible based on a specific program, then these documents are needed:
- Benefit award letter
- Statement of benefits
- Approval letter
- Benefit verification letter
The application process for the Xfinity Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP)
Here are some steps that you should follow to enroll in the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). The steps will vary based on the internet service you choose. You will first receive the ACP benefit on your Xfinity internet bill if you have both internet and mobile service from Xfinity. The remaining ACP benefits will be transferred to Xfinity Mobile.
For new customer term
Signing up for new Xfinity Internet customer:
- Xfinity Internet customers should check their eligibility through the National Verifier at www.checklifeline.org.
- if you are eligible after verification then Sign up at “xfinity.com”
- If you get confirmation from the USAC that you have to complete the Xfinity ACP enrollment form to enroll in the Xfinity internet service Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), Use your Xfinity ID and follow the application process and complete it along with the consent.
- Make sure you provide the information correctly (Name, address, etc.). The information you provided for the national verifier should match the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) enrollment form.
You will get a status update from Xfinity within 48 hours of applying for ACP.
Signing Up for new Internet Essentials customer
- If you are new to Internet Essential Customer then go to the page at “https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/internet-essentials” and follow the instructions
- Check eligibility for ACP and complete the National Verifier form at www.checklifeline.org
- Now, you have to apply online for Internet Essential.
- After finishing the application procedure successfully for the Internet Essential Service, complete the ACP enrollment form to get your credit. You must need an application ID that you received from National Verifier after getting approval.
For Existing Customer terms
Existing Xfinity Internet Customers
- Existing customers of Xfinity service will also need to be eligible to enroll in the ACP.
- The national verifier system will confirm if you are eligible for the benefit. After getting approval, you will have to register for the Affordable Connectivity Program at the Xfinity website, during the application procedure, you will need to use your Xfinity ID and other documents.
- Provide the same information to the Xfinity ACP enrollment form, which you submitted to your National Verifier.
Exiting Internet Essentials Customers
- Existing customers of internet essentials are currently eligible automatically. They do not need to go through the National Verifier. Just complete the enrollment form.
- If you are an existing Internet essential customer, then you have to enroll in the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) by using your ID to complete the application process.
Other services of Xfinity
There are some other services available in Xfinity. You can pick any mobile deals that can suit you. Xfinity always updates their deals and keeps informing their customers. Provide them with an email address to get the upcoming Xfinity deals. There are some exciting deals in the following that you can pick.
Save $300 when you pre-order the iPhone 13 Pro
If you transfer your number to Xfinity as a new customer with a new line for activation within 30 days, you can receive $300 off your iPhone. You’ll receive the credit within 24 months after your purchase. If you are an existing customer and you want to upgrade or change your phone you will receive a $300 Visa prepaid card.
Get a free moto G Play
As a new customer, you may transfer your number within 30 days. The credits will be applied for more than 24 months of the phone payment plan.
Get $25 when you bring your phone to the Xfinity network
You can switch your phone to save a lot of money. It will give you a $25 prepaid gift card. You will receive a SIM card at your home address along with setup instructions. Do not need to do any contract if you don’t have to pay activation fees.
You can get Xfinity service with the following benefits.
- TV & streaming
- Home security
- Home phone
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
If I move while receiving the ACP subsidy, what happens?
Actually, moving doesn’t affect your eligibility to receive ACP. If you shift from one place to another, you have to re-register in ACP at your new place. If you shift into that area that is not in reach of service by Xfinity, you should find a new internet service provider to make sure that they are providing an Affordable Connectivity Program.
For how long will I receive the ACP credit?
During the last day of 2021, ACP took over EBB. Although, EBB was a temporary program designed for 6 months. FCC has ensured that the ACP program will be a long-term endeavor since its inception. ACP is currently not clear whether it is a permanent program or not. The Affordable Connectivity Program will serve the country for a very long time.
Can I transfer my ACP benefit to another person or household?
No, the ACP program facilities can’t be transferable. This service is limited to one per household as like the emergency broadband benefit program.
How do I sign up to receive the affordable connectivity program?
Please fill out the Internet Essentials enrollment form. Upon registering, you will receive a credit for your internet essentials service ($9.95/month) until you are connected with the ACP program. Please fill out the online enrollment form here if you are not an Internet Essentials customer. First, check your eligibility with the national verifier, then sign up for and connect to the Xfinity internet service tier of your choice. Make sure all the information (name, address, etc.) is submitted on your Xfinity ACP enrollment form.
If I have Xfinity mobile service, does the benefit still apply?
Usually, you will receive the ACP benefit on your Xfinity internet bill first when you have both internet and mobile service from Xfinity. The remaining ACP benefits will be transferred to Xfinity Mobile.
The Internet is the most essential medium for communication in this world. Whether it’s studying online or getting healthcare, we all need the internet. Through the Affordable Connectivity Program, FCC made the internet more flexible and affordable for low-income households. Along with other providers, Xfinity is giving this opportunity to millions of Americans. As always, Xfinity comes up with new plans for its customers, and the company’s goal is to offer more benefits to eligible households through the ACP benefit.