The argument between Chromebooks and laptops is not new. It is so common among people, particularly those on a tight budget. Students returning to college weigh the pros and cons of the two gadgets. This is to enable them to choose the best for themselves. These two kinds of gadgets have distinct features and specifications. However, they are normally aimed at the same demographic. Choosing the appropriate Chromebook is challenging enough for those unfamiliar with its workings. The same applies to conventional Windows laptops, which are more perplexing. This is because many users have a limited understanding of both gadgets.
Fortunately, this article will help you get the specifications of the two gadgets. Additionally, it will give the pros and cons of each device. This will help you to help you make the right decision when buying one of them.
The Chromebook is one of the latest computer gadgets. They are common in schools, mostly in colleges. They do run on Chrome OS. Chromebook is normally regarded as one of the safest operating systems available. They do have a 32GB SSD with 1TB of cloud storage. The cloud storage runs for a period of 3 years after you redeem it. They are also known for storing power for about 5 hours and above. Most of them run on 4GB RAM DDR3, which is suitable for their memory. Most of them have a CPU processor of core i5.
Chromebooks are some of the best options for college student than laptops. Here are some of its pros compared to laptops.
- They are cheap: The price of Chromebooks is low when you compare them to laptops. Some colleges will acquire laptops ranging from $600 to $1000 per laptop. When compared to $200 to $400 per Chromebook, this one becomes expensive. So, too many students will opt for Chromebooks.
- Multiple ownership: It is not necessary for a single student to own a Chromebook. The Chromebook advocates users doing everything online. This means that students may go from class to class and use any Chromebook. They can access their content by just signing in to their Google account.
- Chromebooks are durable: Chromebooks are normally designed to withstand a pounding. This factor is ideal for collages with younger kids.
- Less distraction: Chromebooks lack the ability to run conventional games. This means they are normally favored over regular laptops. This is because they cut one possible source of distraction. They are actually a good option for those with kids addicted to computer games.
- Teachers and administrators can have control over them: Chromebooks do not have functionality because they lack high-end specs. You can restrict everything they allow you to do by the Chromebook’s administrator. Limiting websites on Chromebooks does not need approval from the collage’s IT department. You can do this directly from the admin interface.
- Support online transition of education: The world is evolving to online learning systems. With the nature of the Chromebook, it seems like the ideal option for those who are doing online learning. This is because everything you can do and store is on the Google cloud.
- You must have access to the internet: Chromebooks are normally designed for online use. This means that their functionality is normally limited without an internet connection. Google Docs allows you to edit documents offline. However, you will need an internet connection to make use of all the advantages of a Chromebook. This is a demerit for those who do not have access to the internet when using the Chromebook.
- You have a limited amount of storage: Chromebooks have low physical storage. This means you will certainly run into storage issues very quickly. The Chromebook devices have a smaller storage capacity than even phones. This forces many users to explore other different cloud storage alternatives. This is despite the available providers who give you free cloud storage. However, free storage is never enough, forcing you to buy storage. Additionally, you will need the internet to access cloud storage. This poses a challenge to any user who does not have internet access in their locality.
- Chromebooks have a reputation for being very sluggish: The Chromebook uses Chrome OS. The applications developed for Chromebooks do not need high-end hardware. This has become hard for those who like to open several browser tabs. This definitely lowers the performance of the Chromebook. A good remedy for this is to close some tabs and then you will solve the problem. The speed of your internet connection may impact the overall performance. This means the quicker your internet, the faster your Chromebook will be.
- There are hardly many Windows applications available: Chromebooks run a different OS called Chrome OS. This is different from conventional laptops. So, the Chrome OS will be unable to load or use certain applications used by other OSs. For instance, Adobe Photoshop has an Android version. But it is a stripped-down version that falls short of the Windows version. This is when you compare the functionality and complexity. Also, several Microsoft applications do not have a Chromebook version.
Recommended Article : Best Way To Get Free Internet For Students
Laptops are common among students who do high-level courses like programming and videography. Most laptops come with a 500 GB HDD, which you can add to 1TB. Most laptops will have RAM of about 8GB, which you can extend to 16GB RAM. This gives them higher performance when running heavy programs. They have a battery that can last for about 3 hours. You can also get a battery that has a long life, although you will need to spend extra coins. Laptop CPU processors range from dual-core to Core i7, which is top performance.
- They can power more heavy tasks: When you compare the basic performance of laptops to Chromebooks, it is more of the same thing. Students doing heavy-duty courses like programming and video editing need a laptop.
- Large screens: Many laptops have large screens compared to Chromebooks. This makes task performance easier when compared to having a Chromebook.
- High performance: When you compare laptops to Chromebooks, Chromebooks may outshine laptops in basic performance. But when you do with advanced processes, laptops will be well-compared to Chromebooks.
- It has enough storage: Laptops have more capacity to extend the storage space when compared to Chromebooks. Most laptops come with internal storage of 500 GB to 1 TB, which is big compared to the 32GB of most Chromebooks.
- Ability to work without the internet: If you are using a Chromebook, you will need to have internet access. This is different from laptops, which have enough storage capacity. Additionally, you can use external backups like flash disks, HDDs, and SD cards.
- It is prone to viruses: Laptops are prone to malware virus attacks. When you compare the security part of laptops is low compared to Chromebooks. You may need to get extra antivirus that will protect your files on the laptop. This may be hard for students who may not have the money to do so.
- Laptops are bulky: Laptops are not as light compared to Chromebooks. This is because of the accessories that they are normally made up of. Many may prefer to have Chromebooks because they are light, which makes them easier to handle.
Recommended Article : How To Get A Free Laptop For Low Income Families
Chromebook VS Laptop for College: Comparison
There are several attributes that you can use to compare Chromebooks and laptops. Let us look at them:
- Price : When you compare the laptops and Chromebooks prices, the laptops are a bit more expensive. Chromebooks range from $200 to $400, compared to laptops that start at $600. So, for students, it is better to buy a Chromebook.
- Battery life : Chromebooks do not run a lot of applications. This makes its performance optimum. Because of this, the battery life of Chromebooks can run up to 8 hours. This is rare when you compare it with laptops. For you to get a laptop with such good battery performance, you may need to pay more to have it.
- Security : It is almost impossible to know that a certain OS is safer than the other. However, when you compare Chrome OS to others, it is safer than them all. It is hard for Chromebooks to boot an infected OS. Google has put in some measures on the OS that have already given it advanced security measures. They include verified boots, power washes, and sandboxing.
- Portability : Chromebooks are often thinner, lighter, and more compact. Ultra-portable Windows and macOS laptops are becoming scarcer. Those that do exist are considerably more costly.
- Performance : How well a machine performs is normally determined by its specifications. Other factors are workload and a variety of other variables. If we compare the performance of a Chromebook and a laptop, the Chromebook beats the others. These are basic performance features.
Which One Should You Get – Chromebook or Laptop
The best option that students should choose is to get a Chromebook. They are the ideal option for students. Compare the advantages of laptops; then, you can choose Chromebooks over laptops.
Despite the Chromebook’s disadvantages, many college and university student choose Chromebooks over laptops. This occurs for a variety of reasons. Chromebooks are cheap in cost. This makes them an attractive choice for colleges with a large student body. Furthermore, students can share the Chromebooks among themselves. Students may travel from class to class to use any Chromebook.
Chromebooks are also very robust and can take a pounding. This is ideal for schools with younger kids. Chromebooks lack the ability to run conventional games. They are normally favored over regular laptops. This is because they drop one possible source of distraction.