The seniors’ age group starts from 65 years and above. According to studies, a large number of seniors have a least a basic cellular cell phone. Despite the exposure, not many understand the recent technology in smartphones. Cell phones have not received technological advancement recently. Instead, smart technology is creating smart cell phones with helpful features for seniors.
As the days progress, more seniors are taking cognizant of the technology trends. The phone manufacturers are also trying to consider them in their designs. This has led to influx of different cell phones model all aiming to address seniors’ challenges. Remember, these are people who are retired, veterans, and others incapacitated. They require constant help and all forms of assistance.
What Makes A Cell Phones Easy To Use For Seniors?
All Cell phone manufacturers are competing to come up with the best models to stay in business. Every customer wants to own a user-friendly phone. However, things are a bit different when talking of usability to seniors. So, what features will make a phone friendly to seniors;
- Large buttons : When it comes to seniors, they would wish to have the buttons clear. It doesn’t matter the type of phone you are using, be it a smartphone or the flips. The advantage of smartphones is one can adjust the screen brightness to increase visibility. As people age, their sign tend to decrease. Therefore, to operate a phone comfortably, the buttons should be large enough for them to see. In addition, the screen resolutions should also be high. This way, their low vision will be enhanced by the screen clarity.
- Quality Speakers : The phone speakers are loud enough to produce a clear sound. Most elderly people are at high risk of losing hearing. This means that the speakers should produce HD voices so that users can hear without struggle.
- Voice commands : With technology growing every day, natural language processing has led to inclusion of voice command in phone development. This is a technology in which the user speaks instead of typing what they want and phone responds. Through voice command, the phone can call and text without keyboard involvement.
- Simplified plans : Whereas this isn’t directly on the phone architecture, the cellular plans can greatly affect phone usability. For efficient use of phone, it should not have hidden charges in its plans. The user should be able to cater for the expenses without straining. Without proper consideration, these plans can be a source of untold misery.
Top 12 Best Cell Phones For Seniors
The market remains flooded with all manner of senior mobile phones. The list includes both flip phones and smartphones with different features. So, the search for a good phone can be such an arduous task. That’s why we have done due diligence on your behalf to come up with a review of the best senior phones in the market. This is in addition to the elaborate buying guide.
So, if you are looking for a seniors phone, below is a list consisting of both cell phones and smartphones. Now the ball is in your coat and the choice entirely on you. Based on your senior’s needs, you can pick any phone on this list, and won’t disappoint you.
1. CPR CS900 Retro Flip Phones for Seniors
There are so many things you need to look at when buying this kind of phones. The needs for one senior aren’t similar to all. That means you may have to look for special features that best address your senior’s needs adequately. CPR CS900 Retro seems to take care of most of these problems. That’s why it’s our number one choice despite being a button phone. Old people are known for high resistance to innovations and want to stick to what they know. Since the button phones have been around for a while, they mostly prefer them over smartphones.
This phone is rich in some of the best features for seniors. To start with is the recently added call blocking technology? This aims at preventing the disturbances from the robocalls. So, the bearer of the phones won’t have to be subjected to unnecessary ad calls. The SOS Emergency Assist Button is designed to activate an alarm equipped with a “emergency call me “message.
If you want a phone that will work from anywhere, CPR CS900 has it all. It is unlocked for all GSM networks. Most carriers are migrating to GSM networks; thus, the bearer will have a wider coverage. They will also be able to use it anywhere in the world.
- The SOS feature is a very instrumental security feature
- It is unlocked to all GSM networks
- Its operation is super easy for example; you just flip open to answer
- The call block feature eliminates junk calls
- Has large buttons that are easy to see for seniors
- It cannot work on CDMA network.
- Doesn’t come with an exhaustive user manual
2. Ushining Seniors Flip Phones
Talk of the classic flip design, powerful battery, or multi-functionality; Ushining has them all. its battery can power the phone for more than 200hours. That alone is enough to cover the services of this incredible senior phone. With this phone, you can be sure that you can reach the senior almost every time you want.
This phone also allows you to use the prepaid option. The service is available for 2/3G carriers like AT&T. All you need is to choose the option and you are good to go. The phone’s display is one of the best. Mounted with a 2.8” HD display, it also has an external screen to facilitate bigger fonts and viewing.
If you want a multipurpose, look no further. Ushining hasn’t tied any specific carriers. So, you can operate it on various networks nationwide as long as they are GSM. The other universal functions include an FM radio, Bluetooth, a torch, and calculator. These are important functionalities that seniors can use to organize themselves.
- Comes with a convenient charging dock
- It has a prepaid option
- Unlocked to all GSM networks
- Powerful battery that can power it for over 200hours
- Has incredible feature for seniors like the torch, calculate and an FM radio
- Not compatible with CDMA carriers
- It can only support up to 3G connectivity
3. SnapfonezTWO – Cell Phones For Seniors
Want to surprise your old folks with the simplest senior conscious phone? SnapfonezTWO got you covered. It is also one of the cheapest cell phones currently in the market. Unlike the previous two models, this is a block type phone. It’s huge and well-labeled rubber buttons make it very easy to operate the phone.
Additionally, it has an SOS button for emergency calls. A single touch activates an alarm as well as establishing a connection to all the emergency contacts and services. Since a senior phone requires having a good battery, this one has that taken care of. Its removable battery can power it for over 100 hours. If constantly on call, the battery can take up to a maximum of 5 hours. The keypad lock/unlock ensures that there are no accidental pressings.
There are also other features meant to increase the usability. These include the speaking keypad, LED flash light, alarm modes and hearing aids.
- It has a powerful battery that can power the phone for hours
- Has additional features that increase usability like the speaking keypad
- The SOS feature enables the seniors ask instance emergency assistance
- It has very powerful speakers with adjustable buttons
- Its rated M3/T3 meaning its compatible with a wide variety of hearing aids
- Unlocked for all GSM networks
- The battery comes with only 30 days warranty
- Some people complain of its too loud ringtones
4. UNIWA V708 2G by TekkPerry – Cell Phones For Seniors
This is one of the simplest senior phones. That however doesn’t mean it doesn’t get the job done. It is a dual SIM card phone with 2G capability. If you want a simple senior phone model, cheap and straight forward to use, check this cellphone out. Its battery life ranges from 4hours onwards depending on how your usage.
The 1.77” LED display ensures that the seniors can have a better view of the screen even with failing sight. It has 8GB internal memory which can hold the owner’s basic data. You can charge your phone using the charging cradle or the external charger.
- It has a simple user menu making it easy to use
- The keypads are big enough for seniors to read
- The big button acts as the SOS feature
- Comes with a charging cradle and a charger
- It is very affordable
- It has a poor body design
- The internal memory is small for bulk data
5. Pantech Breeze 3 Basic Seniors Flip Phones (AT&T)
Design and sturdiness are the top definitions of this flip phone. Its strong 920mAh battery can also take last more than 330 hours on standby. If constantly streaming on 4G LTE, the battery can serve you for 5 hours.
Additionally, the phone has some degree of water resistance. It can take a few drops without any adverse effects on it. Even though it comes locked to AT & T network, you can easily unlock it to use on other carriers. But the downside here is that even after unlocking, the phone will only work with GSM carriers. This phone is capable of achieving up to 3G network connectivity. This is particularly important to tech-savvies always yearning for information on the internet.
- Comes with a powerful battery that can last up to 330 hours while on stand by
- Its external shell is very durable
- Has a certain degree of water resistance
- It comes locked to AT & T network
- It doesn’t come with a SIM card
6. Mosthink Unlocked Seniors Cell Phones
It is one of the senior-friendly phones designed to help them communicate without struggles. It has a built-in SOS emergence button. The large and strategically raised buttons are helpful for those with poor visibility.
The fast recharge system ensures that it is hardly for the bearer to run out of juice. For ease of management, there is a strategically placed side-unlock button. This ensures that there is no accidental dialing.
- The big buttons make it easy to use
- It has SOS button in case of an emergency
- The powerful battery can run it for 10 days when on standby mode
- It is unlocked thus can be used on all networks
- The accompanying accessories are not quality
- It is not durable
7. Jethro [SC318] 3G Unlocked Seniors & Kids Cell Phones
Despite being cheap and lightweight, this phone gets the work done. It’s such an awesome form factor and it’s easy to carry in the pocket. The large key ensures that even the seniors with poor eyesight can easily operate it. It features some high-tech functionalities that aid in texting and calling. For instance, the text predictive feature makes texting even more fun and concise.
It also comes with 800mAh battery that will serve you for a couple of days. However, if you are looking for a good camera phone, this isn’t the type. This phone is also a good buy for beginners. The Bluetooth technology incorporated herein is also helpful for file transfer. With the 16GB internal memory, you can have saved a considerable number of personal files and photos.
- It is lightweight hence very portable
- It has a user friendly interface
- An internal memory of 16GB is considerably good for a senior
- Has a convenient charging base
- The keypad is large enough for better visibility
- It has a flimsy design
- Its manual can be a bit confusing
- The screen is too small
8. Easyfone A1 3G Unlocked Seniors Flip Cell Phones
As its name is, Easyfone is built with features that make it so useful to use by seniors. It’s one model of a phone if you purchase it you won’t regret it. To begin with, its design is among the best. The ability to answer calls by just flipping makes it very convenient. At times, it can be hard for seniors to understand the phone answering technique if too complicated.
The powering operating system is also easy to use. It is menu-driven meaning all the user does is clicking buttons from the interface. The big buttons also provide the best view by the user to do whatever they want. Also, the speakers in this phone are very quality for better hearing. This caters to seniors with hearing challenges. With this property coupled with hearing aid compatibility, this phone is unrivaled.
The inbuilt SOS buttons can be utilized for emergency services. These are important features that ensure that a senior cannot be stranded even if they are trapped.
- Features inbuilt SOS alerts
- User friendly operating system and user interface
- It is compatible with hearing aids
- It enjoys a wide network base
- The external display gives important details at a glimpse
- Cannot work with CDMA carriers
- It is not well designed
9. Alcatel 392G “The Big Easy Flip” Prepaid Phone
Flip phones provide the simplest option to call and receive calls. The Alcatel 392G features the best large display on the front. This allows the user to monitor everything. The phone also is an awesome MP3 player, and it also has Bluetooth services. Thanks to the powerful battery in this phone, it can last for up to 11 days.
It’s not the best in terms of camera quality. However, if you don’t mind a low-resolution camera, it has a 2MP camera. Its internal memory storage is 32GB which is high enough for seniors who may want to store photos or personal files.
- It’s affordable
- It has a powerful battery that can power it for 11 days
- The front display is huge enough for the most visible font
- It has a high internal storage
- It has a low quality camera
- Some customers complain about the battery
10. Doro 824 Seniors Smart Phones
This is an android powered smartphone that is senior-friendly. It prides itself of a 1.2 Quad core processor that makes the phone faster. So, far, this is technically the most advanced phone for seniors.
If you are looking for a phone with a good camera, this should ring the bell in your mind. It has an 8MP camera capable of capturing very quality photos. You can also install several light android apps on its 8GB internal memory. You don’t have to worry about the weight as the gadget is very lightweight. It measures only 0.5 pounds. So, despite the large display provided, you won’t even notice it.
- It has a good quality camera
- The user interface is very friendly
- It is powered by a strong Quad core processor
- Has a large screen display
- It is also lightweight
- The phone is locked
- The battery doesn’t last long
11. Jitterbug Touch3 Seniors Smart Phones
This is another incredible smartphone designed with high senior consciousness. It is a 3G device that seniors can take advantage of to enjoy basic smartphone services. It can send emails, access social media platforms among other internet services. The internal memory also allows you to install these basic apps without installing an external SD card.
It is also a middle-level camera phone. You can use its 5MP rear camera to capture memorable events. The big LCD screen gives a good view to seniors with poor eyesight. If you are looking for a senior smartphone with super friendly interface, check this phone.
- It has a user friendly interface
- It’s easy to operate
- The large screen display makes visibility easy
- Seniors can access basic internet services
- It can be complicated to some users
- The volume is too low for a senior model
12. Verizon Samsung Convoy U660
This is one of the simplest senior smartphones. It is a good buy for beginners as it can run the most basic apps. In terms of space, this phone isn’t among the well-endowed ones. But the interface is very appealing and simple to navigate. The entire process of operating this phone is a breeze. Locked to Verizon, you can access the best features and plans from this company.
The phone is as cheap as you can think of. With a few bucks, you can lay your hands on a smartphone best for your senior.
- It has friendly user interface
- The screen display is large providing best visibility
- It is affordable
- Can achieve 3G network connectivity
- Very low internal memory
- You cannot install sophisticated apps
3 Best BasicFlip Phones For Seniors
Flip phones are the best choice for people buying their first device. The advantage they have is big buttons and can store charge for a long period. They are durable as compared to smartphones. When choosing a senior flip, you should consider all the features needed to buy a senior phone. Some of these include quality speakers, large buttons, quality cameras among many others. Some of these phones include;
1. GreatCall lively flip phone
This is an affordable phone specifically for seniors. The fact that it is meant for seniors makes it among the top choices of flip phones. It has amiable features like a 5Star button for emergency, speakers for canceling noise, a battery with long life, a camera, and a large keypad.
2. Verizon LG Exalt
This phone has a very unique feature of High-Fidelity speakers. It has an HD voice calling which makes the phone suitable to be used by seniors. It has text-to-speech functionality which aids those with hearing problems. On top of that, it has a web browser that helps the user in browsing. The phone is available with discounts under Verizon plans.
3. Alcatel Go-flip
Alcatel Go-flip has one of the best battery long lives. It also has a word dictation, and its external shell is durable. This smart feature plays a very key role when it comes to typing.
3 Best Smart Phones For Seniors
Smartphones have more features compared to flip phones. One, smartphones are easy to use compared to flip phones. Nowadays most features in smartphones are due to the growth of smart technology. There are technologies like uber applications, food delivery apps that are common recently.
If you are choosing a smartphone for your senior, you should consider getting a phone with features that suit seniors. A good smartphone for seniors should have widescreen, large fonts, easy to adjusting volumes etc. Examples of the best senior smartphone models in the market are;
1. Jitterbug smart2
Jitterbug smart2phone is designed specifically for seniors. It has several features that increase its functionality to the user. Some of its features include; GPS location, medical assistance, large touch screen, and voice diction.
2. Google Pixel 4a
Google Pixel 4a has fingerprint recognition, a widescreen, and it is easy to operate. Its user-friendly UI makes it possible for even beginners to operate. It also boasts of a high-resolution camera. It captures high-quality image. So, if your old bloke is a photo junkie can take advantage of that to capture memories.
3. iPhone SE
This is an affordable senior phone equipped with awesome features. It has high-quality speakers, camera, voice to text feature, and virtual assistance services. It is friendly to the seniors who like internet service. iPhone SE also has a good storage capacity of up to 64 GB. Such capacity is huge enough for storing applications and personal files as well as music or videos.
It’s a very cheap phone compared to other iPhone brands. It is the best phone so far if you want to keep track of your seniors.
Shortlist 3 Cheapest Cell Phones For Seniors
If you want to get a senior phone at the best deals, consider having these phones;
1. Consumer Cellular Doro 7050
A consumer Cellular Doro has very cheap service plans, particularly for the seniors. The cell phone is very cheap and light. Its maintenance is also very easy with very fewer instances of breakdowns. Doro 7050 comes with very quality speakers that produce a clear, HD quality voice.
2. Consumer Cellular Link
With less than $50 you get this senior phone rich in incredible features. It has large buttons and very loudspeakers. These help the seniors with poor hearing capability. Therefore, if your target senior has issues with their ears, you better get this gadget.
3. Tracfone ZTE
It does not attract any contracts. You can use this phone in the most unusual places where phones are not utilized fully. It is very affordable and with basic features. It doesn’t require subscriptions either. So, if you do not have cash, you can opt for a Pay-as-you-go plan.
Companies That Makes Seniors Friendly Cell Phones
There are many manufacturers for different age groups. Two manufacturers stand out in making senior phones. They are the most trusted and recommended by most users, even when it comes to servicing. The two are GreatCall and Consumer Cellular.
GreatCall mainly focuses on caregiver and emergency services. It is the manufacture of Jitterbug SIM lines. Their services are unique among all the other companies. One of their uniqueness is the integration of proprietary medical alert system.
With the flip phones being done away, GreatCall has Jitterbug Smart2. This cell phone has pre-installed software made by GreatCall purposely for the seniors. The operating system has special apps that are specific for the seniors.
Apart from the phone pricing, GreatCall has extra charges which cater to health alerts. The Health Safety package is a monthly package offered by GreatCall. It is paid in line with the text, calls, and data services.
There are discounts to the customers who have the Health and Safety package. The package includes a 5-star urgent response, the application which links you with the caregivers, and other services that are made for seniors. To access the 5-star Urgent Response, it is available to the lowest Health and Safety package, which costs $20 per month.
The package has one demerit that there is no phone insurance. This means that when you lose a phone or you damage the phone does not pay you. If you want to get insurance to cover your device, you will have to pay $34.99 per month.
Consumer cellular is one of the best seniors service providers. It won a lot of presents because of its low costs charges. Unlike GreatCall, Consumer Cellular does not have its phones.
Unlike GreatCall, Consumer Cellular doesn’t also have the Health Safety package. This makes its services a bit cheaper. It has a wide variety of phones from many manufacturers’ stores like Samsung. The overall pricing of the Consumer Cellular is as follows;
The first line is free of charge. However, if the customer wants to get the second line, then he will need to pay an extra $15 per month.
The customer can get unlimited minutes at $20 per month. There is also a $15 per month package which has 250 minutes per month. Consumer Cellular has several data packages. There is one starting from $5 per month for 250 MB, 2 GB at $10 per month etc.
Things To Consider When Choosing Cell Phones For Seniors
When buying any commodity or product, you should balance between the usability and the budget. The seniors cell phones are kind of special. You have to consider several factors to ensure you don’t end up with junk in your house.
So, the person you are purchasing the phone should be the priority. Seniors have complications due to their old age like sight, hearing, and others. Others, due to their education level, need special phones hence special features considerations. Below are several things you should never assume when purchasing a senior’s phone?
The visibility status
Old age comes with eyesight impairment. Some come as a result of muscle degradation, diabetic retinopathy among others. The big complaints about cell phones among the seniors are the screens and the sizes of the buttons. Many companies mostly the ones making cell phones for the old have ceased making tiny fad phones. Instead, they have migrated to manufacturing of smartphones. This has increased the size of the screen which directly increases the size of words displayed.
Therefore, when looking for senior phones, consider their eyesight. Instead of purchasing the button cell phones, you can get the smartphones specifically for the seniors. The adjusting of the screen brightness can also help you in increasing the visibility of the seniors.
Most seniors lose their hearing ability as they age. When selecting cell phones for seniors, you should consider buying those compatible with hearing aid. Also, purchasing phones with adjustable loudspeakers can be a great relief to seniors.
Manufacturing companies are now competing to make phones suiting the target clients. Before you purchase any phone, look at the special features the phone has. For instance, a feature like speech-to-text is common with senior phones nowadays. Such a feature eases the communication more so to the seniors with visual impairment. A senior can receive a message and the feature will read to him or her. In the same case, the senior can just reply by speaking. Then, the feature will translate the speech to text and reply.
Nowadays, phones are not only used as tools of communication. They are serving as security gadgets for seniors. Most smart cell phones have incorporated security features to ensure the seniors are safe. Besides keeping in touch, we also need to make sure our seniors are safe. Whenever making your purchase, you should buy a phone with at least one security feature like tracking. This will enable you to make sure you are aware of their location. In the case of cell phones for seniors, there are those equipped with SOS feature for emergency purposes.
Price of the phone
The price of a phone is always determined by the features available. When shopping for a senior’s phone, you should always have their needs in mind. Even though you may fancy purchasing a smartphone with all trending features, think of your target user. Seniors’ do not need sophisticated technologies. Their driving need for a phone is to make calls, text, or send official mails. There is no need of buying a too-expensive phone with features that no one will use.
Due to the increase of smart technology, more seniors want to learn these new tricks. If your senior is in this class, consider getting them a phone with internet connectivity. Smartphones with text-to-speech increased text size, and high-quality speakers will help them when searching for what they want.
Speech technology, for example, is beneficial to seniors with old age impairments like sight. All one needs to do is speak, and the search will be initiated. Within seconds the results are displayed. Additionally, the large text helps the seniors with challenges in vision. The loudspeaker combined with the speech feature will help them to listen to what they had searched comfortably.
How regular are they going to use the phone?
Most seniors just want to relax and enjoy their old age. Others prefer visiting their friends. This means that calls will be on an irregular basis. Some make calls only when they have emergencies. When you are under such circumstances, consider plans that won’t result in wastage of resources. There is no need for you to get an unlimited plan when the phone will be used on emergencies or irregular basis. In such cases, a plan like pay-as-you-go is the best. You may also consider buying a phone for multiple purposes like streaming, reading, etc. This will ensure you don’t underutilize your phone.
The best preference is choosing phones which are not going to tie you. Plans like pay-as-you-go don’t lock you into contracts. The plan you are selecting should provide benefits to you as a regular customer. There are two cell phones plan common with seniors. These two include the monthly-to-monthly and pay-as-you-go plan. They both lock you for two years. This means that when you get stuck with your carrier then you are in a problem.
In this case, a picture may not only be a mere luxury thing. Seniors who suffer from certain complications like essential tremor may want to communicate via images. This is a common disorder that comes with old age. It causes one to have essential shaking of the body that makes it hard for them to express themselves.
When buying a phone for such people, you should consider their camera quality and storage capacity. This will make it easy for them to pass their messages via image captions. For example, they can use pictures to ask for medicines, water, or even clothing.
Best Cellular Cell Phones Plans For Seniors
There are several cell phone packages for seniors across all major network carriers. Below is a breakdown of some of the best that you opt for at your own discretion depending on your budget;
- Ultra-Mobile PayGo : This package costs $3 per month. The plan offers both text messages and Talktime. These are some of the most used services by seniors and especially the minutes. At only $3, you get yourself 100 minutes and similar number of text messages.
- GreatCall : GreatCall has a plan that allows seniors to build their own plan. You can select the number of minutes, texts, and the amount of data you need. For example, the plans for the jitterbug products per month cost $14.99 for 250 minutes. It has unlimited package for $59.99 for texts, minutes, and data per month. There is also the health and safety package which ranges from $19.99 to $34.99 per month. With the health and safety package, you qualify for minutes and texts discounts on your plan.
- Consumer cellular : This plan has a package of 250 minutes at only $15 per month. You can also get unlimited minutes for $17.50 per month. There is also data package with unlimited text ranging from $25 per month for 500 MB. The highest data package cost $60 per month. However, if you are a member of AARP you qualify for a 5% discount on the monthly services.
- T-Mobile Unlimited 55 : It has automatic payments that give you access to unlimited texts, talk time, and data for two lines. The package costs $70 per month. If you have one line, you will pay $35 per month including all taxes and fees.
- Verizon 55+ Unlimited plan : Residents of Florida can benefit from unlimited talk, texts, and data. If you have two lines you get the plan at $80 per month and for $60 for single-line users. The cost includes taxes and fees.
How Can I Lower My Cell Phone Bill?
The cell phone bill is always high for everyone. Fortunately, there are ways through which you can lower your phone bill. A lower cell phone bill is what the budget wants. Some of the tricks you can utilize include;
- Buy no-contract phones : Most companies use contracts as a way of locking you from switching carriers. When you have a locked phone, you will need to pay to switch to another carrier. This is an extra cost you will be incurring. Using unlocked phones is a sure way of reducing cell phone bills. This is because you are free to switch carriers without extra costs whenever you want.
- Ask for a better price : When you enter a shop, just ask for waivers or discounts. Some shops or sales can even cancel the bills altogether. Additionally, make sure to ask for a cheaper way of making payments. By asking this you will be lowering otherwise would have been bill of the cell phone.
- Cut the insurance : Most people buy phones attached to insurance. If you encounter such deals, look at the insurance and evaluate its importance. If not worth it, reject it right away, and you will be reducing unnecessary costs on your cell phone.
Got seniors you want to keep in touch with? You don’t have to worry anymore. There are hundreds of seniors’ geared cell phones that you can go for. We have sampled a number of them in this article. So, if you feel it’s time to grab one, these phones offer some of the best deals. Instead of scouring an unscratched world of senior phones, you can narrow your search down here.